APPLYING FOR RESIDENCY - WHAT?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kwallette

Post by kwallette » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:48 pm

I got the residency application forms from the Finnish Embassy in Washington, D.C. When sending in the application, I am instructed to send in my passport as well. It also says the process takes about three months and if I want it back, I have to send them money for them to send it to me. This is not a problem. The question is, how am I supposed to travel without my passport?

On another note, it also says you can send your passport OR any other travel document. I am not very well traveled, so can someone please explain to me what other forms of travel documents are?

Thanks guys and gals!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:04 pm

You're not supposed to travel then apparently.

Other travel documents include like a UN nationless refugee papers.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

eashton

Re: APPLYING FOR RESIDENCY - WHAT?

Post by eashton » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:56 pm

kwallette wrote:I got the residency application forms from the Finnish Embassy in Washington, D.C. When sending in the application, I am instructed to send in my passport as well. It also says the process takes about three months and if I want it back, I have to send them money for them to send it to me. This is not a problem. The question is, how am I supposed to travel without my passport?

On another note, it also says you can send your passport OR any other travel document. I am not very well traveled, so can someone please explain to me what other forms of travel documents are?

Thanks guys and gals!
You'll want to send your passport and call them about once a month just to check and see if they have everything they need. If you are coming with a spouse who is Finnish, you'll both also need to include a letter of explanation of how you met and, specifically, what you intend to do while living here. I point this out only because I don't think it was clearly mentioned on the forms and I had to FedEx a letter to them since the one from my husband wasn't enough. As long as you aren't going anywhere outside the US, its territories or Canada, you shouldn't need to worry about a passport. If you are, you can ask about getting a temp from the US embassy for the duration but I would gather that would be more trouble than just waiting a few months.

And, yes, you also have to include the shipping fee for the return of your passport regardless of the decision made.

Also, if you are planning to reside here for a long time, check the expiration date on your US passport and get it renewed if it has 3 years or less left before it expires...saves the hassle of dealing with renewal of your passport while you're dealing with all the Finnish paperwork too.

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:57 pm

Thank you so much for your help! It is really appreciated!!

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:19 pm

Okay..I am in a similar situation in the waiting for the permit department. I have submitted my paperwork requesting a permit to join my Finnish spouse to NY (replete with my spouse's tax returns, the flat lease copy..yaddayaddayadda) and had to send my passport in as well.

My partner and I discussed me coming to Helsinki for the holidays and I faced the same quandry you now do. According to the Visa Officer in the NY branch, The Finnish Consulate retains your passport simply so that when they hear the decision from the DOI in Helsinki, they can expeditiously put the sticker-thinger in your passport that day and ship it back to you. I spoke with a lovely woman at the Consulate and they are sending me my passport so I may travel. I was assured it does not affect the processing time of my actual application as the DOI in Helsinki already has all my paperwork and I am already in process. I was told I am free to travel (even to Finland) but must be back in the States to get the permit when the decision is made. The only time it adds is the time it takes for me to send it back to them to put the sticker-thinger(technical term I am sure :) ) in it.

Sooo...happily I will be able to spend a month in Helsinki with my partner at Christmas time thru mid January... without worries :)

Oh..and just as a side note. Legally the Finnish Consulate can not keep your passport against your wishes. It is property of the US Government and the US frowns on foreign states holding US Citizen's travel documents against their will :)

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:55 pm

And no sooner did I post the above did the Finnish Consulate General's office in NY phone my mobile to tell me that my permit is ready. Sooo..the minute I get my passport in the mail for my holiday travel..I have to send it back to them for my sticker-thinger!!!!

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

Interestingly...submitted my paperwork to NY on October 10th...it was in Helsinki and in the computer there by the 20th..and now it is the 30th... sooooo 3 months?...more like 20 days :) Now if I could only get in touch with my partner to share the good news...I suppose I will just have to wait a few hours until the movie is over... :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:02 pm

Hey thats good news for a change :D
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:48 pm

SGaudreau wrote:Interestingly...submitted my paperwork to NY on October 10th...it was in Helsinki and in the computer there by the 20th..and now it is the 30th... sooooo 3 months?...more like 20 days :) Now if I could only get in touch with my partner to share the good news...I suppose I will just have to wait a few hours until the movie is over... :)
This must be some sort of CIVIL SERVICE WORLD RECORD!!!

Congratulations, and welcome to Finland...

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:30 pm

I am quite shocked myself... I was all prepared to have to wait about 3 months...but I guess Joulupukki is giving me an early Christmas present.

Trust me I am NOT complaining!

KIITOS for the welcome!

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:08 am

Congratulations SGaudreau!

eashton

Post by eashton » Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:50 am

SGaudreau wrote:And no sooner did I post the above did the Finnish Consulate General's office in NY phone my mobile to tell me that my permit is ready. Sooo..the minute I get my passport in the mail for my holiday travel..I have to send it back to them for my sticker-thinger!!!!

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

Interestingly...submitted my paperwork to NY on October 10th...it was in Helsinki and in the computer there by the 20th..and now it is the 30th... sooooo 3 months?...more like 20 days :) Now if I could only get in touch with my partner to share the good news...I suppose I will just have to wait a few hours until the movie is over... :)
The technical term for the 'sticker-thinger' is an A5 Visa. The 'A5' indicates it's a visa granted on the basis of family ties and that you are allowed to work in Finland :)

Enjoy the moment as you'll need to renew soon [6 months or so ] as the expiration date is from the date posted on the visa itself, not the date you enter Finland. If you are going to live in the Helsinki area, it is a several month application period for renewal but you can retain your passport during that time. After the second visa, you can then renew it in a year for a permanent residence permit/visa.

Welcome to Finland :)

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:25 pm

Thanks!... I am rather exicted and haven't been able to stop smiling for a good 24 hours now...

:)

Jason

Post by Jason » Sat Nov 01, 2003 1:20 pm

Oh..and just as a side note. Legally the Finnish Consulate can not keep your passport against your wishes. It is property of the US Government and the US frowns on foreign states holding US Citizen's travel documents against their will

This is not correct. US law has no standing in Finland. The US may frown upon it but the fact is it is your choice to come to Finland and if you want to get a visa you have to comply with Finnish requirements, just like we have to comply with US requirements which may I just point out have gone completely bonkers after 911.

Apart from that congrats on getting your visa so quickly. I wish you well on your trip to Finland, I wonderful place.

moi

I would apply for residence while in Finland...

Post by moi » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:06 pm

if you have a place to stay already. When I go it will be as a family unification matter and letting the consulate have the passport while in Finland is OK if you will be staying the 3 months anyway.

Other travel docs usually, I think, pertain to non-US citizens who require a thing called a Travel Document. My wife needed one to visit Finland while we waited for her Green Card. The document is good for a year and of course costs about $100. Anyway, I will apply when I get to Finland when that time finally gets here.

Good luck!

Rich