Ravintolassa - A Finnish swear word?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
User avatar
Phil
Posts: 6635
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 3:00 am
Location: 'poo
Contact:

Ravintolassa - A Finnish swear word?

Post by Phil » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:30 am

My sister is taking a class on the history of the English language. She is currently on the chapter about swear words. In her text book, it said this...

"Some cultures don't swear at all. The Japanese, Malayans, and most Polynesians and American Indians do not have native swear words. The Finns, lacking the sort of words you need to describe your feelings when you stub your toe getting up to answer a wrong number at 2:00 a.m., rather oddly adopted the word, ravintolassa. It means 'in the restaurant."


...ever heard of this?



Ravintolassa - A Finnish swear word?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
anja
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 10:47 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Post by anja » Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:51 am

My guess is that the author of this book has been badly fooled.. :roll: I'd like to know his/her sources!
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy


User avatar
Mai
Posts: 304
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:26 am

Post by Mai » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:01 am

:shock: a what?! Never heard off it. I don't know which off these claims is more funny, saying we don't have words for that situation or offering word 'ravintolassa' for it. :lol: I am quite sure i have lost my place in heaven for those exact words muttered when jumping and holding my toe.


User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:35 am

I can send your sister a cassette full of native expletives such as "go stuff your head in the behind of the horse" if she wants to countermand the textbook. The usage of "ravintolassa" is totally :shock: - but as kids we learned skirting terms (like saying shoot, or heck) such as 'Junalautoja saatavana Perkiön asemalta' (train-boards available from Perkiö station) that skirts all the most common biblical swearwords used when you hit your toe. Also, you can say 'Voihan Vitalis' (Vitalis is anti-frost cream), or 'Helveetti, eli siis Sveitsiläinen' (Helvetian, in other words a Swiss), so I wouldn't say Finnish doesn't have this kind of euphemistic terms and that somewhere someone might use 'ravintolassa' but its like ... duh!

Malaysina I know if you say 'old lady' in plural it means something nasty, but telling someone to "go ski into the bog" is about as quaint.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:39 am

anja wrote:I'd like to know his/her sources!


You know; boring day, some doofus around; same thing as with those 60 minutes reporters - the guy is horsemanuring straightfaced - and they take it all hook, line & sinker :D Not a new habit, you know the cartographers were foreigners so we get names like 'Ompahanvaanlampi' (Justanotherpond) and 'Homeperseensuo' (Moldyarsebog) and a lot more the upper you get...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


User avatar
anja
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 10:47 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Post by anja » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:26 am

Hank W. wrote:
anja wrote:I'd like to know his/her sources!


You know; boring day, some doofus around; same thing as with those 60 minutes reporters - the guy is horsemanuring straightfaced - and they take it all hook, line & sinker :D Not a new habit, you know the cartographers were foreigners so we get names like 'Ompahanvaanlampi' (Justanotherpond) and 'Homeperseensuo' (Moldyarsebog) and a lot more the upper you get...


Yah,.. after reading this idiotic text I came to think "this author must have dealt with a person from Savo" :roll:
"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."
-- Sue Murphy


User avatar
eashton
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Helsinki
Contact:

Re: Ravintolassa - A Finnish swear word?

Post by eashton » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:39 am

Phil wrote:My sister is taking a class on the history of the English language. She is currently on the chapter about swear words. In her text book, it said this...

"Some cultures don't swear at all. The Japanese, Malayans, and most Polynesians and American Indians do not have native swear words. The Finns, lacking the sort of words you need to describe your feelings when you stub your toe getting up to answer a wrong number at 2:00 a.m., rather oddly adopted the word, ravintolassa. It means 'in the restaurant."


...ever heard of this?


That is so wrong. One of my best friends is a linguist who specialises in Native American languages and he laughed at the suggestion that they have no swear words. They got plenty. In fact, I don't know that there is a language that doesn't have some sort of expletive. And the idea that Finns don't have swearwords is, well, that's just funny.

What book is this? I'll set a few linguists on the editor/publisher :)


User avatar
MinnaRaisanen
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:46 am
Location: Helsinki

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:11 pm

Are you kidding me!?!? Even the babies here swear.... :twisted:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Image


Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:16 pm

MinnaRaisanen wrote:Are you kidding me!?!? Even the babies here swear.... :twisted:



It was actually one of the first things I noticed here (since swear words are the first words that you tend to learn in a language (maybe an idea for a PhD project??) :wink: ).
I was sitting in the bus home with the missus and behind us was a group of opgeschoten jongeren (so to say), and it was as bad as in any other country. A swear word every other word of the sentence, the whole 'conversation' long. At that point I'd learned about 5-6 new swear words :roll:
Ravintolassa wasn't one of them, though


User avatar
MinnaRaisanen
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:46 am
Location: Helsinki

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:25 pm

All I know is that when I tried ONCE to swear as a kid, my mom filled my mouth with white pepper and that pretty much ended that little habit right there...
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Image


Guest

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:27 pm

MinnaRaisanen wrote:All I know is that when I tried ONCE to swear as a kid, my mom filled my mouth with white pepper and that pretty much ended that little habit right there...



HAHAHAHAHA
Brilliant! I have to remember that.
I can imagine it's a lot more effective than telling your kid to wash its mouth with soap, which it'll never do. :lol:


User avatar
MinnaRaisanen
Posts: 830
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:46 am
Location: Helsinki

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:37 pm

yeah, it was effective :shock:
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Image


User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:19 pm

Well, there is a magazine dedicated to this particular linguistic aspect; they do a lot of studies on it as they do depend on localities and culture a lot. Those who can google find Maledicta of Reinhold Aman. It would make the textbook writers' socks twirl...

Then again for all the underaged kids - you do that don't come here with all that white pepper in your mouth ya hear!
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


Anders
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:44 am
Contact:

Post by Anders » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:31 pm

This might be the reason why ravintolassa ended up in the list over bad words, sort of a prank. If someone calls you 2 o'clock in the night it's always nice to be able to answer something funny like e.g. Ravintolassa or "the kings bathroom, how can I help you?" can be used.
I ripped out my mobile phone battery saturday night 'cause I was to tired to listen on my drunk friends.
"Snowboarding is an Art form. The rider is the artist and his board his tool. Together they make art worth die for."


User avatar
eashton
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Helsinki
Contact:

Post by eashton » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:06 pm

Hank W. wrote:Well, there is a magazine dedicated to this particular linguistic aspect; they do a lot of studies on it as they do depend on localities and culture a lot. Those who can google find Maledicta of Reinhold Aman. It would make the textbook writers' socks twirl...

Then again for all the underaged kids - you do that don't come here with all that white pepper in your mouth ya hear!


Wow, he's publishing again :)

And there is always the alternative Finnish dictionary :)
http://www.notam02.no/~hcholm/altlang/ht/Finnish.html


Post Reply