Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:47 am

__HomeSchool wrote: Yeah I understand what you are saying.
What I am really getting from this post is. That you need to learn finnish or you'll be screwed for life.
Am I missing anything?
It all depends on how you wanna see it. For e.g. I dont know Finnish..
I have a decent job n a comfortable living compared to the US, where I was always working to live. Well, As they say, when in Rome..be a Roman. They also meant, that If you re gonna live in a place, you need to learn that plae 's language..
For example, I saw a Finnish couple who are "Living" in Chandigarh, India with their adopted sons. I was pretty impressed and pleasantly shocked, but I am not sure how long they re gonna be there. Of course they could get by english in India, but it will be easy of they knew Hindi!/Punjabi.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 pm

__HomeSchool wrote:
Yeah I understand what you are saying.
What I am really getting from this post is. That
you need to learn finnish or you'll be screwed for life.
Am I missing anything?

Haan jii..Tussi sahee baat karte hoo :D
Image Image

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Oombongo wrote:Haan jii..Tussi sahee baat karte hoo :D
Let's face it... if my employers had asked me that in my job interview, I'd have been in deep sh*t :lol::lol::lol:

__HomeSchool

Post by __HomeSchool » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:44 am

raamv wrote:It all depends on how you wanna see it. For e.g. I dont know Finnish..
I have a decent job n a comfortable living compared to the US, where I was always working to live. Well, As they say, when in Rome..be a Roman. They also meant, that If you re gonna live in a place, you need to learn that plae 's language..
For example, I saw a Finnish couple who are "Living" in Chandigarh, India with their adopted sons. I was pretty impressed and pleasantly shocked, but I am not sure how long they re gonna be there. Of course they could get by english in India, but it will be easy of they knew Hindi!/Punjabi.
If you don't mind me asking,what do you do?
Image Image

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:02 pm

__HomeSchool wrote:
If you don't mind me asking,what do you do?[/quote]
Of course, I Mind! Mebbe not in this thread anymore..
I work in the ICT (Information and communication technology) Industry,Not for Nokia, but with a business focus.
:D

__HomeSchool

Post by __HomeSchool » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:55 am

raamv wrote: Of course, I Mind! Mebbe not in this thread anymore..
I work in the ICT (Information and communication technology) Industry,Not for Nokia, but with a business focus.
lol,I thought it would be something like that.
Are these kind of "hot" jobs in Finland?
Image Image

mtrenerry

It's not that difficult guys...

Post by mtrenerry » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:34 pm

I have been meaning to come back & post a note here since I arrived in Helsinki at the beginning of the summer (and what a beautiful summer it has been for all of you who are considering the move!).

I am from Australia & moved out here due to my Finnish Girlfriend whom I met in Indonesia while surfing & drinking some :D. Before moving out here I was very dis-heartened about the move due to this forum! - BE POSITIVE GUYS...

I have been working in & around advertising / marketing for quite some time now but am only 29yrs old. I came here being told it would be impossible to find a job of equal standards to the contracts I have held in Sydney, London & elsewhere around the world - But once again - WRONG! In under a week I found a job with an agency whom I am now working as a consultant at a much higher level than I would be in an established country such as OZ or UK... I am only going to stay for a year or so as quite frankly the summer is great but 8 or so months a year it is cold & dark (and I mean that - it's already getting cold/dark but by December & January it may get as cold as -25c...).

The end of the day it takes nothing to just give it a go... What do you have to loose. Come over, check it out, enrol immediatley at Helsinki Summer University to learn finnish & get your self out there. Don't do what everybody else says to do in this forum! Do something different, contact employers directly and tell them you have something to offer from an international perspective!!!!

I am not going to give a tutorial on it & don't bother to ask me where I am working. The guys in this forum are 'trying to help' and I think that is great BUT - You guys might feel you know the Finns but everybody is different and every company is different so stop giving these guys thinking about coming a bad vibe about it...

So give it a go, what do you have to loose!!!! The worst thing that can happen is you come and don't find a job - so what, go to London (3 hour flight & about 70€ one way) and work... and if you have a girlfriend commute.

One last thing though - whatever they do say about the wages and taxes here is true - They Suck!!! Depends what you do but you willl most probably not get what you are paid back home, ESPECIALLY if you are a contractor in IT, Digital Marketing etc...

SO GOOD LUCK TO THOSE OF YOU THINKING OF COMING - Wait til the beginning of the summer so you see Finland at it's best... Be prepared for a different culture & as I said - What is the worst thing that could happen??? If you dont like it then at least you tried!!!!

So see you all for now & Good Luck...

Regards

Mike (from Australia) :D [/b]

__HomeSchool

Post by __HomeSchool » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:33 am

mtrenerry, bless you for makeing me feel so much better about a job in finland <3333

You guys should learn something from him! :D
Image Image

gerrit

Post by gerrit » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:59 am

Phil, you mentionned several websites advertising English speaking jobs. Do you have a URL for those?
Or maybe even an English language newspaper where adverts may be published?

albatross

Post by albatross » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:32 am

Hi all,

Just my two cents - how about we also list the various job sites on the forum? Alternatively, all known sites (inlcuding the mol.fi) where the jobs are advertised. As well as advertisements that would appear offline, i.e. in newspapers, i.e. where to look.

WDYT?

King regards.

sunilkarickom

i can get the SITRA scholership if you help me

Post by sunilkarickom » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:10 pm

myself Sunil Thomas from India had my M.Sc in Electronics and doing M.Tech in Network Communication and Security I wish to work or teach in finland can anyone please help me by inviting to your Company or University to get the scholership i have to get an invitation from inland thinking of a positive response
Sunil Thomas
My Email Id is [email protected]

JaDLB

Post by JaDLB » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:08 am

__HomeSchool wrote:
raamv wrote: hmm..And This is just the beggining....
It Aint like US, UK or anywhere else..This is Finland.
( Of course it could be similar to a Desi (a.k.a. A person from the Indian subcontinent), born n bred in US/UK N trying to work in Indian/Paki. village.
Yeah I understand what you are saying.
What I am really getting from this post is. That
you need to learn finnish or you'll be screwed for life.
Am I missing anything?
not at all , welcome to the club but let's not be so sad , there is always HOPE!
The Wise Stays Silent ...

wimpey

Re: Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

Post by wimpey » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:25 pm

Phil wrote:
The Job Search

There is a bunch of Finnish jobs site full of English-speaking jobs, especially for IT professionals.
Could you name me a few, Phil (or anyone else for that matter)? That'd be really helpful. I've been searching and Googling myself, but I haven't come across too many job sites myself. Cheers in advance!

I haven't had a chance to get to know this forum too well yet, so I might be about to type up something that's common knownledge already, but anyway: IT-contractors might want to take a look at http://www.ework.se

Don't let the 'se' fool or discourage you, this site lists quite a few job oppo's in Finland too. Ework has a Finnish branche as well (in Espoo, just off Lauttasaari). I've visited them, they're nice people, professional and helpful too.

JimmyBang

Post by JimmyBang » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm

__HomeSchool wrote:
raamv wrote: Of course, I Mind! Mebbe not in this thread anymore..
lol,I thought it would be something like that.
Are these kind of "hot" jobs in Finland?
which could even mean you sell phones :P or sell cells :lol:

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:35 pm

JimmyBang wrote:which could even mean you sell phones :P or sell cells :lol:
Neither...I am in innovations and business development