Helsinki restaurant website: www.eat.fi

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
enk

Re: Site in swedish

Post by enk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:23 pm

aspiala wrote:If any of you guys know Swedish, you can have a look at http://www.eat.fi/?setLang=6
and let me know if there are any mistakes. I don't know Swedish very well myself (Can speak it somewhat and understand it, but definitely can't write it) so this is all a big leap of faith for me to let someone else translate the texts, and I'm a bit nervous about giving up quality control. Still, I got so much feedback about "why not in Swedish?" that I guess it's high time. Mobile site is done now, btw...
The ones that I noticed were:

rekomenderar --> rekommenderar
cafén --> kaféer
Annan etniska mat --> Annan etnisk mat (I'm not sure about this one though)

and then the areas in Helsinki.

-enk

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

enk

Post by enk » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:28 pm

superiorinferior wrote:Yeah, what is the translation of "fine dining" in Swedish?
Strangely enough, fine dining as far as I can tell. What about
gourmetmat? Hmmh.

-enk

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:13 pm

enk wrote:
superiorinferior wrote:Yeah, what is the translation of "fine dining" in Swedish?
Strangely enough, fine dining as far as I can tell.
-enk
Yeah, that was kinda my point.

Gourmet mat sounds ok.

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:20 pm

enk wrote: Annan etniska mat --> Annan etnisk mat (I'm not sure about this one though)
I changed the rest, but left this one since you're not sure.

[Edit] The region names are done now too.

Thanks a lot guys! Much appreciated. Swedish site officially open now, and accepting comments in Swedish! That should cover it in terms of languages...if you happen to come across any other mistakes, let me know and I'll fix them.

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:02 pm

Hi,

Another newish addition - Habibi (Middle Eastern place, downstairs at Forum's among the other "fast-food" restaurants... my experioence of Habibi's Lamb Couscous was very positive! And the Meze weren't bad either. It's close to McDonald's - hmm... the agony of choice :lol:)

http://www.habibi.fi/

Cheers,

Sammy[/url]

aspiala

Habibi

Post by aspiala » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:47 pm

@Sammy:

I added Habibi, thanks for the tip--could you add that review you just wrote to it?

Btw, I've added a most recent reviews list (on the restaurant search page) that you can also get as an RSS feed.

Happy "eat"ing... :)

kiely

Hi Tina

Post by kiely » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:48 pm

Tina its Michaela here.
Just checking eat.fi and there seems to be a problem. Well either that or your working on it.
Anyway just to let you know.
All the best
Michaela xx
P.S. Are you able to make Saturday? No worries if not or come along later.
Michaela Cussen

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:38 pm

Hi Michaela,

Thanks for letting me know, but it's just down temporarily while I move it to a new server so I can add all kinds of new goodies to it. Have found some fantastic new people to work with--lots of great possibilities opening up. I've already redirected the url, now it's just a question of waiting for it to go through.

About Saturday, I'll probably be coming later...we're annoyingly double booked.

aspiala

New goodies + alpha tester request

Post by aspiala » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:04 pm

To those of you who've been following this project, and are interested in being involved in future developments: I've added a user login system where you can bookmark your favorite restaurants, or just restaurants you mean to check out at some point. It's on its baby alpha legs right now, very bare bones, but if any of you would like an account to test it out and tell me what other features you'd like (the possibilities increase significantly with this feature, even though it doesn't do much right now), let me know by sending me a username and password you'd like, plus your email, and I'll get back to you.

If you've got a stable IP I can also link your past comments to your new account, thereby generating the beginnings of a "joe has rated 15 restaurants!" system.

UPDATE:
You can now register for the eat.fi alpha registered critic program by clicking this link.

Rosetta

Post by Rosetta » Thu May 31, 2007 2:43 pm

A great site!
(Even though I don't live there now, I browsed it for places I know & love to see what people said about them, and added a few reviews of my own...)

superiorinferior wrote: How pathetic there isn't a SINGLE place open at 5 a.m. in the capital of Finland.
??? Pardon me, but why would anyone wish to eat in a restaurant at 5 am?? :roll:

(That's what grill kiosks and the like are for, if you really must eat at that time... ;))

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu May 31, 2007 3:21 pm

Rosetta wrote:
??? Pardon me, but why would anyone wish to eat in a restaurant at 5 am?? :roll:
Many people start work VERY early in the morning, or work all night and then finish at dawn. Why shouldn't they be able to get a good meal too? I used to work in Rungis in the suburbs of Paris which is also the location of France's biggest wholesale food market. People start work there at midnight. There were some EXCELLENT restaurants around the market halls - all fresh produce (best sea food in the country - La Marée, fab). The great thing was that when we office folk went for lunch at 1pm all the market people had finished their day and gone home, so the restaurants were empty. But try getting a meal at 7 am.... and they were packed!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 31, 2007 3:43 pm

Oh, I've been sometimes up and running at 4-5 am. going to somewhere, craving for a breakfast sandwich, hot coffee... no dice. Sausage stands closed and nothing opens until 7 or so...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Rosetta

Post by Rosetta » Thu May 31, 2007 11:52 pm

Fair enough, I know some people start work very early, but I just can't imagine going to a restaurant to have breakfast (before work) in any case, even less at that time of night... ;)

I was thinking the original asker meant people coming home from partying etc... But they're too drunk anyway to think of a restaurant meal, I guess... ;)

(Maybe that's just my Finnish point-of-view, that's how most Finns seem to think, otherwise there would be places open at even that hour...)

aspiala

One more thing

Post by aspiala » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Another development, in case anyone's interested:

If you're on Jaiku (http://www.jaiku.com) I've started an Eat.fi channel where people can "jaiku" restaurant news and updates from their mobiles for all to see and comment on.

It can be found here: http://jaiku.com/channel/eatfi

Oh yeah. If any of you know of a good PHP/Symfony coder, I'm working on version 2 and could use some (paid) help. Send me a message!

kiely

ahoy there Aspiala

Post by kiely » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 pm

Just had to say there is no way your fiance would be gone!
The two of you are far to in luuurrrrve
Anyway enough of that are we still on for tomorrow?
As for the site we both think its great.
Well Done Honeypie
Michaela Cussen