Canadians coming to Helsinki and have no idea what to expect

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jentle

Post by Jentle » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:31 pm

keep the tips coming guys. and i'm interested to hear finnish music, we have heard some swedish bands that are pretty awesome so heres hoping the same goes for finland. and about babysitting-----apparently my one friend would be greatly interested in babysitting to make some extra money. question: how easy/long is it to get from helsinki to either stokholm or down to germany?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:13 pm

Jentle wrote:keep the tips coming guys. and i'm interested to hear finnish music, we have heard some swedish bands that are pretty awesome so heres hoping the same goes for finland. and about babysitting-----apparently my one friend would be greatly interested in babysitting to make some extra money. question: how easy/long is it to get from helsinki to either stokholm or down to germany?
Do you want to have it quick and boring or long and interesting?
It's about an hour by plane from Helsinki to Stockholm. That's the fast and boring way.
It's about 8 hours by boat (SiljaLine would be the 'bit more sophisticated' trip, whereas VikingLine is the teenage-getting-drunk-and-laid kind of trip). That would be the slow and interesting way :wink:

To Germany the fast and boring way would be also by plane. Depending what your destination in Germany is. Any destination in Germany with a straight flight is faster than the slow and interesting way by boat, which would be approximately 24 hrs from Helsinki to Rostock.

I think that's about it.
If I made a mistake somewhere, please do correct me. Unfortunately it's been awhile since I've done the long and interesting trips :lol:

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:10 am

I drove from Finland to Hannover earlier this year (via ferry)

The Ferry goes from Hankö to Rostock, and was indeed about 20 hours, but it was pleasant enough.

I'm not sure if there is a passenger ferry to Germany from Helsinki (?) There may be, but I honestly thought it was just from Hankö (Between Helsinki and Turku)

Cheers
Gavin

Mai

Post by Mai » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:24 pm

Finnjet (from Silja Line) goes from Helsinki to Rostock but only summertime. Other possibility from Helsinki to Germany by ferry is Finnlines, which goes from Helsinki to Travemunde. Those are cargo ships that are equipped with areas for passengers. They are not so much as party boats, but seem to be quite comfortable way to travel.

Riko

Post by Riko » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:15 pm

One thing you may not be aware of or have not considered yet is the exchange rate between the Euro and Canadian dollar.
1 EUR = 1.51890 CAD or 1 CAD = 0.658370 EUR. It can be a bit disheartening to think you have enough money then to find out you only have a little over half of what you thought.
I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strangely, I am ungrateful to these teachers.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:19 pm

Riko wrote:One thing you may not be aware of or have not considered yet is the exchange rate between the Euro and Canadian dollar.
1 EUR = 1.51890 CAD or 1 CAD = 0.658370 EUR. It can be a bit disheartening to think you have enough money then to find out you only have a little over half of what you thought.

It is such a nice feeling to think that our currency is of higher value than other currency...
I remember going to the States and having to multiply everything with 2 for the actual price in NFl... :shock: :shock: :shock: