Business Courses taught in English

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:29 pm

Does anyone know of any know of any international business courses taught in English based in Helsinki, preferably at a Masters level?

I thought this might improve my employment chances while also studying Finnish - any thoughts on the usefulness of this idea?

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:57 pm

Do you mean an MBA course you get in by paying, or the regular School of Economics you need to take a few prepcourses for?

These would be in Helsinki:
http://www.hkkk.fi/english/default.asp
http://www.hanken.fi/hanken/eng/index.php?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:03 pm

This might help too....

Department of Industrial Engineering and Management at Helsinki University of Technology: http://www.tuta.hut.fi

They encourage international applicants and it is possible to complete a degree in English. However, admission is difficult. There are just too many people wanting to be big managers.

kiwi

Post by kiwi » Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:21 pm

Thanks guys,

Ideally an MBA type course would be great, as it would give me credit for my bachelor's degree without throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:48 pm

You can do an MSc or an MBA at Helsinki School of Economics, but they can be a touch sniffy about your credits. If you went to a 'good' place, or even better, one their 'partners' then you can do OK. If you are making a normal application on the basis of your Bachelors then you would enter the English Track. This has some 30 places per year with soem 8-9 applicants per place.
You would enter on the basis of an SAT test, next entry will be in Spetember 2004. You will need a score in excess of about 1350, unless you write a really good motivational letter, in which case a slightly lower score might do it.
Have a look on the website for initial information and then pop down to the school.

The MBA is fun. Quite hard work and you wont have time for Finnish lessons, in fact given the nature of the MSc, that would be pretty true of that as well, if you had to do many core courses. It gets easier when you do the normal classes. (scheduling constraints)
HSE is rated as one of the best schools in Europe and getting a job from there is usually not a problem, particularly if you want to escape from here. (but then thats not what you want to do yet is it...?)

So as a forigner, yu do not need to do the 'five books' that Finnish track entry requires, but that will not be an option for you anyway. Competition is tough, so although SAT is hardly difficult, you will need to be good at both English and maths to have a decent chance against the sons of Finlands wealthy go-getters.

Hanken has a small program of about ten people per year. I do not know the entry requirements. A much smaller place (HSE is not big), you would probably end up taking quite a few HSE courses as they seem a little short in their English program. They have a better cafeteria though and students seem to read less than HSE students, one can usually find the books you need in Hanken, even if they are all gone from the HSE library.

OH... University education is free here. The MBA will cost a lot of money by Finnish standards, but is an absolute gift by world standards. The classes I have taken have been demanding and worthwhile. The MSc classes are different in character and at least as good IMHO.

kiwi

Dusty Bin

Post by kiwi » Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:42 pm

Dusty - thanks for all that info - I shall certainly chase it up.

All the best

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:36 am

Dusty is right, HSE is the best place to go, in Finland. There's one more option for those that have already completed at least a bachelors like degree: Go straight to the MSc (in fact you apply for one or two majors). IIRC there are some 70 places, mostly in IB, Mkt and Information and Service Mngt. To enter you have to go trough GMAT and score at least 500 points; nevertheless they don't really say how important the score is.

sodengiles

Post by sodengiles » Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:34 pm

I am studying for a MSc (Econ) Marketing at Hanken, I also applied to HSE but the University of the West of England is obviously not psh enough for them (in reality one needs to take a GMAT test as well as filling in the application).
So I don't know so much about HSE but I can talk about HANKEN, I got a BA in International business and Japanese from the UK and I am studying for one year to get my Masters (if i work hard enough).
At Hanken there is the MBA course (costs lots of pennies), then there are the Masters with specific majors (three places in each specific major per year) and there are the Masters programmes which take quite a bit more.
All lectures are usually in English (unless someone wants them in Swedish?).
Although HSE is undoubtably the number one in Finland (and ranked 17th amoungst world universities for MBAs), HANKEN has Christian Gronroos = the guru in service marketing and not much help in the proffesional world.

I have also chosen to do this masters with the hope that finding a job might be more of a reality, however it is still difficult, the last job I applied for was not posted on the electronic job sites (unless i missed it) and there were over 200 applicants.

But soon we will have snow and everything won't seem so dark

funnyman

Post by funnyman » Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:54 am

HSE is undoubtably the number one in Finland (and ranked 17th amoungst world universities for MBAs)
HSE was 78th in the world, it ranked 17th amongst the european business schools, its number one in nordic region.
http://www.mbahelsinki.net/index.html?m ... submenu=10

All Rankings are here
http://specials.ft.com/spdocs/FT3543AD2BD.pdf

Salary is an important factor in ranking and that may be responsible for lower ranking of HSE ( its also a one year programme compared to two year in most Ivy League's).

Average GMAT score was 500 - 640 (Harvard had an average of approx. 703 last year). More details about HSE are here:
http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/02 ... lsinki.htm

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:41 am

The leaving salaries are undoubtedly a very strong factor in the ranking, this is due to low salaries in the Nordic region, source of many of the candidates. The workload is pretty heavy, they do get through a lot of work in a short period of time and people really do fail classes! If they fail, they must retake the course with the next entry, a real problem for some.

In eneral syudents from HSE do get very good jobs.