Working in Helsinki area for student

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rupke

Post by rupke » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:15 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is rupke from Holland. I studied in Finland for three months and now I am back in Holland again. In Holland I study Facility management and I can speak English, German and Dutch. For summer I want to go back to Finland and work there for about 6 weeks. The kind of job is not so important. I want to work in the Helsinki area. Can somebody give me an advice how I can arrange a job or what kind of job the most common is to apply for as a student from another country?? Does somebody know some good workplace addresses??

Thanks

Rupke :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:30 pm

Sorry but I really think you have left it too late to get a short term job over the summer.

Companies like Nokia that offer student places advertise the jobs early in the year and they get lots of applications, and I know that they already arranged this years placements.

If there is some company/area that you really want to work in then you can contact directly to ask about any opportunities.

Strawberry picking is quite a common job for people to do over the summer, but again you might find its a bit late for that now. Perhaps someone else might know of some links?

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:39 pm

Hoi Rupke,

I have to agree with Sara. Summer jobs are settled here in April already, so I don't think you'll have a lot of luck. Besides, many hotels and other larger facilities that need management will close during July.

Groeten,

Jeroen

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:22 pm

Hi Rupke,
Glad to see that you found your way here...
I will explain to the other members..if they have not already guessed.. :wink:
Rupke meet a Finnish girl when he was on his training course here learning hotel/catering management. That girl is now continuing her training with my kotipomo as her tutor..yesterday evening when I went to collect Marjo I meet this very pretty young trainee who told me about her Rupke and asked if I had any advice so he could find some work when he returned to her for his summer holidays..so I gave her our URL and told her to point him here..we dont bite...
Well although you have left it a bit late..there is one chance I can think of...the large catering companies e.g. Amica.. Might be looking for summer holiday cover..their staff want July off but their inconsiderate customers e.g Nokia continue to want feeding..the same applies to the large cleaning companies..dont worry I have already told your Marjut and and as I type she is listing numbers she wil call tomorrow from the yellow pages :D
Your best chance is through her efforts she is realy trying very hard.
However if there is no real work to be found I am sure that you can find some bar dish/glass washing work somewhere..just make sure that you
dont end uo doing night shifts while Marjut is on days :shock:
She will not be very pleased if you do that :roll:
Good luck and keep poking your nose in here. :wink:

Ace

Post by Ace » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:29 pm

Peter Floyd wrote: Rupke meet a Finnish girl when he was on his training course here :
môre, my naam es henk, een ek is 'n souvenïer. ek wil kom toe Finland toe my meisie. asseblief, ek nie wil in zoemerland werk nie.

:mrgreen: (HWM skryf, die voorsitter van die Finse-Suid-Afrikaanse Vriendskaapsocietie)

Ace

Post by Ace » Thu Jun 05, 2003 1:44 am

olly wrote:
Peter Floyd wrote: Rupke meet a Finnish girl when he was on his training course here :
môre, my naam es henk, een ek is 'n souvenïer. ek wil kom toe Finland toe my meisie. asseblief, ek nie wil in zoemerland werk nie.

:mrgreen: (HWM skryf, die voorsitter van die Finse-Suid-Afrikaanse Vriendskaapsocietie)
Dont let hank use your username when your drunk dudes :wink:
ouch my head hurts already and I haven't even hit the sack yet :lol:
While the Finnish cats away the British mice will play (with beer and whisky :twisted: )

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:07 am

Yeah, but the beach was nice - wish it was a bit warmer though.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:07 am

olly wrote:[Dont let hank use your username when your drunk dudes :wink:
ouch my head hurts already )
OH my God I can see that there are two Huge hangovers this morning. :shock: .Olly and Hank both drunk at the same key board..their lingusitic joke could result in at least some confusion for our dutch members and at worst the breaking off of diplomatic relationships between Dutch and Finnish Members... :roll: I only hope that Rupke does not think that their effort at the dutch language is for real :wink: ..heh but I have an idea :idea: Rupke could teach dutch to Finns as a summer job.... :idea:
I wonder what the result from the combination of the two most crazy of the European languages :shock:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:16 am

That was my best effort in Afrikaans :mrgreen: We must agree it has some resemblance to Dutch :mrgreen: writingwise there is a lack of the letter 'z' and grammatically lack of person in verbs, a paradise after German for the hard-headed student. Speakingwise I hear it causes uncontrollable giggles, though I've had success in Belgium as apparently the accent hasn't changed in 500 years...
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:55 am

Sara wrote:Strawberry picking is quite a common job for people to do over the summer,
But it is also most always located in the boondocks. Not many strawberry farms right in Helsinki area.

There might be some jobs available, but the poblem is, as said, too late. And all the managers are on vacation anyways... it is summer. The manic 3 months of the year.
Cheers, Hank W.

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:45 am

Hank W. wrote:That was my best effort in Afrikaans :mrgreen: We must agree it has some resemblance to Dutch :mrgreen: writingwise there is a lack of the letter 'z' and grammatically lack of person in verbs, a paradise after German for the hard-headed student. Speakingwise I hear it causes uncontrollable giggles, though I've had success in Belgium as apparently the accent hasn't changed in 500 years...
Excellent. I can understand it all. Suid-Afrikaans is a branch of the Dutch language, thanks to many Dutch farmers that emigrated to South-Africa. Usually the Dutch and people speaking Suid-Afrikaans can understand eachother.

/Jeroen

jvrijn

Post by jvrijn » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:46 am

Peter Floyd wrote: I wonder what the result from the combination of the two most crazy of the European languages :shock:
Crazy? Dutch is perfectly logical and the most beautiful sounding language in Europe with Danish being a close second. :D

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:02 am

jvrijn wrote:Danish being a close second.
Ah, but Danish is the only throat disease which has its own ortography :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

rupke

rupke

Post by rupke » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:30 pm

Hi everyone,

One day not on the site and then so many reactions. :D

Peter you explained my situation very well, thank you for that. Yeah maybe I can give a translation course Dutch in Finland, good option. :)

Marjut is sending me some adresses this evening. I am going to reply the email adresses and fill in some application forms. I hope this will work. Other suggestions for companies, adresses are really welcome too!!!!!!

Rupke

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:09 am

Yeehaa, more dutchies...

*still searching for a nice avatar*