Moving to Helsinki - I hope

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Simon Lydiard

Post by Simon Lydiard » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:58 pm

I am an English businessman. My employer has offered me a short-term posting to Helsinki (around six months). I am very keen on the job, but know very little about Finalnd or Helsinki in particular. Can anyone advise me what I should do in advance of starting. The one area I am most concerned about is accommodation. What is the private rented sector like in Helsinki? Can I rent for six months? How much does it cost? Can one rent furnished accommodation, and what does "furnished" mean in Finland? Is it possible to get a cleaner, and what is the cost? Also, what about banking? I have a UK bank account and credit card. How easy is it to open a bank account and get a credit card in Finland?

Simon

Simon Lydiard

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 17, 2003 10:38 pm

Hi, and welcome to the group.

Well, for a six month contract "furnished" unless you get real lucky; I'd be looking for something like this to avoid hassle:
http://www.espoon-privatel.fi/helsinki.shtml
Banking is not a problem onece you're settled in and registered yourself.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:16 am

Simon,

You'll find palces to rent here:

http://www.oikotie.fi

It's all in Finnish, though. Apply for a residence permit as soon as you get here. To be honest, though, it's a bit of a hassle simply for a stay of six months. Same with bank account, too. Could you get your wage paid directly into your UK account?

If you could get a two week holiday abroad during your stay you wouldn't need to bother with a permit, either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you only need a residence permit if you intend to stay and/or work in Finland for over three months. If you don't have a residence permit, you must leave the country after three months and remain outside the country for two weeks. I.e. work here for three months, take a holiday and come and work for another three months. There might be some sort of repetitive clause to this, but I'm not sure about that. You'd have to check with the authorities.

As Hank said, renting furnished accommodation over here isn't as easy as it is in the UK, but it's possible. A cheap hotel may be your best bet.

Stu

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:39 pm

I edited Hanks posting as Privatel have just changed their www address.
http://www.espoon-privatel.fi/helsinki.shtml
As others say renting furnished for 6 months will not be easy...but not impossible if you get help.
Cleaners etc...they are available but..can you speak Finnish to tell them what to do?
A Cheap hotel such as Privatel would be easier.
Privatel is very convenient and also quite good standard.
Self catering but does have a small bistro.

If it is possible I would try to come and have a look see before you commit your self.
Few questions.
When are you coming?
Where will you be located in Helsinki.?.cross city travel/commuting is a pain.
Does your company already have anyone here who can help you?
Do they have an existing office or repesentative?
Opening a bank account for just 6 months..?
No problem ..but why..will you be paid in Finland or in UK.
You might be able to live by using your Visa or Master card?..Finland is a plastic money country. I still use my UK Visa card after 8 years here I now have a Finnish MC but it will take longer than 6 months so hold onto your UK cards.
You can pull cash out of the hole in the wall with it from your UK account.
But check if they charge you extra for the service.
Ask anymore question no mater what we will try to find the answers.
Last edited by PeterF on Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:42 pm

Peter Floyd wrote: Self catering but does have a small bistro..
Thanks,

And BTW they have furnished 'studios' where you have your own kitchenette so its not that much "hotellike" necessarily. Location is good as well. And they strike deals, so your company ought to come forweard and negotiate something.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:34 pm

sparks1061 wrote:
Take the move, but be aware you might never make it back to the UK, or in 6 months you*ll be back on this board asking how you can find a permi job based here!!!!
Yes good point I forgot to ask..are you married and/or you bringing your wife here?
Finnish women have a tendancy to persuade men who come here un-accompanied to stay here :wink: be warned!

tiinajk

Post by tiinajk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:02 pm

I stayed at the Privatel for 2 weeks when I first moved to Finland and wouldn't recommend it. It was very basic accomodation and a long way out of the city. I couldn't imagine staying there for 6 months...

What about looking into the managed apartments. I don't know your budget but if you are moving here for work, perhaps they can help with the cost. They are fully furnished and equipted, with cleaning once a week and better rates than hotels, in all a nicer environment and in the city center.

If you are interested in finding out more, let me know and I'll try to get more details for you.

Tiina

brendan_uk

Post by brendan_uk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:16 pm

And they strike deals
I would hope so they are charging about £1200per month, shirley you could get a furnished apartment for less than that even for 6 months

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:48 pm

sparks1061 wrote:If you are being paid by a UK company into a UK bank account and maintaining a UK address (Try MBE.co.uk) then you are resident in the UK and don't need a permit in Finland,
And anyway, how exactly are they going to know when you entered and left Finland? If you come in or out via Sweden for example then they will have no record of it!
Any EU citizen needs a residence permit for Finland if there stay exceeds three months, whether they're working or not. Saying that, you're right about them checking up on people.

Stu

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:09 pm

Peter Floyd wrote:Take the move, but be aware you might never make it back to the UK,

Yes good point I forgot to ask..are you married and/or you bringing your wife here?
Finnish women have a tendancy to persuade men who come here un-accompanied to stay here :wink: be warned!
Finnish women have this reputation, also when they come here accompanied. In fact, Finland is a paradise. You can't imagine a better place to stay.