analog/mixed-signal IC Design in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:58 am

Hi,

I'm looking for employment as an IC Designer in Finland (preference is Oulu region). I have approx 6 years experience at the moment, and currently work in central Europe. All help/advice/criticism much appreciated!!

thanks.........Wally

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Re: analog/mixed-signal IC Design in Finland

Post by PeterF » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:46 am

Wally wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for employment as an IC Designer in Finland (preference is Oulu region).
IC DESIGN...I have racked my brian trying to think who actualy DESIGN ICs in Finland....I know lots of companies that specify IC design and Oulu Tecnology Park and the new centre near Oulu airport have more than its fair share but I dont know any that actualy do there own designing..but then what is the border line between specifying design and doing the actual layouts?
I think you need a directory of companies in Oulu and I cannot find one sorry...It is probabably in Finnish somewhere on the WWW.
When I asked a collegue he said that he had seen and advert recently from Metso for IC designers but thinks it was in Hyvinka..Metso make machines for the paper industry.
http://www.metsopaper.com/
Here are a few more links:
http://www.hightechfinland.com/companyindexx.html
Thiis course list is interesting as it appears to be available in Oulu or Espoo.
http://www.mentor.com/nordic/training/f ... iption.htm

Wally

Post by Wally » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:09 am

I found a list of IT companies in Oulu, cheers....Nokia and Micocell have employed designers in the past, but have nothing going at the moment.

> difference between specifying the design and doing the actual layouts

...not sure what you mean here exactly...do you mean internal layout of the IC itself, or layout of a PCB with the IC on it? INternal layout i've done lots of.... Anyhows, I'm not tied to what I have done in the last 6 years, i'd really be willing to give anything a go which migth be related to what I studied (elec eng).

cheers for the info........Wally

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:24 am

Hi,
Nokia Oulu and Microcell Oulu are both suffering from down turn in Networks business...I did make a phone call to a friend who lives in Oulu..he said that Nokia laid off 300+ in Oulu a few weeks ago and that has depressed the jobs market..but he gave me one address.
REMEC Commercial
Koskitie 10, P.O. Box 18
Oulu,
FINLAND
Tel: + (358).8.5205.600
Fax: + (35) 8.8.5205.750

good luck