Doctorate in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:42 pm

Tanya wrote:Yes, I understand...but nothing is impossible...(I love Alice in Wonderland :D ) IN the end you'll all learn it and speak it fluently...I guess!
Actually I was thinking first to take an exchange programme for a month and do a clerkship in the hospital and just check out how th ethings are functionning in my head and around me.

Unfortunately here we don't have Finnish language course. It seems to be so unpopular...And I don't have a clue where could I find a "source" here, except in the embassy...
And the worst thing is that nobody translates Finnish literature in Serbian. So nobody get to know finnish culture closer. I don't even know if we have Kalevala translated. :cry:

All we're trying to say is set goals that you can handle. Some goals aren't worth pursuing because they create more problems than necessary. Try to study in Finland, but don't try to learn the language fast enough to use it to get your degree.

Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:34 pm

Tanya wrote: I don't even know if we have Kalevala translated.
Well, some playwright has used it, but I don't have a clue what this is all about: http://www.rastko.org.yu/drama/savremen ... evala.html
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:34 pm

Thanx for letting me know all about the difficulties in learning Finnish. However I'll have to learn it well in order to speak to the patients, and soon, if I really decide to try working over there, no matter what.

So, generally speaking it is possible to transfer, right?
amorphis

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:38 pm

Hank W. wrote:
Well, some playwright has used it, but I don't have a clue what this is all about: http://www.rastko.org.yu/drama/savremen ... evala.html
WOW! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Thanks A LOT!!!!!!!
I didn't know that AT ALL! :D :D :D
amorphis

daive

Post by daive » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:40 pm

Hank W. wrote:
I stumbled on this great site that is a direct translation of the Kalevala into English. Hope this may help you and others to read it. Enjoy

http://www.geocities.com/kalevala20k/

Tanya

Post by Tanya » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:44 am

Thank you very much!
:D
amorphis

funnyman

Post by funnyman » Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:57 am

I read somewhere that "Lord of the Rings" was inspired by KaleVala in certain ways. Is that true ?

Is there some abridged version of Kalevala, something like 100 pages which can give me some overview in non-poetic way. How big is the original book?

jwesthues

Post by jwesthues » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:19 pm

funnyman wrote:I read somewhere that "Lord of the Rings" was inspired by KaleVala in certain ways. Is that true ?
Tolkien knew something like a million somewhat "obscure" and/or ancient languages, among them Finnish. He was very interested in the older histories of Scandinavia, Ireland, England, and I guess northern Europe in general. If I am not mistaken, his work for the Lord of Rings began when he "invented" a language based on many of the languages he knew, and then proceeded to create"a history and a culture" for his language. At least this is what I remember from a PBS documentary about Tolkien I saw last winter.

Given all of this, I'm sure that the Kalevala did have a hand in his inspiration.

- Jukka

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:44 pm

Arno wrote:
Samppa wrote: Is LIFE free too? :D

Wake up! We're talking FINLAND here, remember? :lol:
You are certainly trying to cheat me :) I saw with my own eyes that Finns use MONEY and pay BILLS!!!

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:47 pm

Arno wrote:
Tanya wrote:Hello everyone,
this is my first time to be on this forum, so I haven't checked out all the topics yet...however I'd like to ask you if there is a posibility to transfer on any Uni in Finland where I could continue my Medicine studies???
it doesn't mind if the lectures are in Finnish, I could definetely make efforts to learn it asap!
Thanx
I don't want to demotivate you, but eeeermmm...
Most of us have been definately making efforts to learn it ASAP for the past years... :wink:
That's a great saying and I want to remember it :) This is so true!

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sat Nov 01, 2003 4:59 pm

Tanya wrote:So, generally speaking it is possible to transfer, right?
I think this is very possible, but no idea how. I've been desparately trying to contact some Finnish univs, but all in vain. I think the best way is to visit them personally.

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:48 pm

Samppa wrote:
Tanya wrote:So, generally speaking it is possible to transfer, right?
I think this is very possible, but no idea how. I've been desparately trying to contact some Finnish univs, but all in vain. I think the best way is to visit them personally.
Finnish academics don't seem to answer their email, as a general thing, if they don't know the person who sent it. It makes getting into their university system from the outside somewhat problematic.

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:27 pm

Tanya wrote:Hello everyone,
this is my first time to be on this forum, so I haven't checked out all the topics yet...however I'd like to ask you if there is a posibility to transfer on any Uni in Finland where I could continue my Medicine studies???
it doesn't mind if the lectures are in Finnish, I could definetely make efforts to learn it asap!
Thanx
According to my gf it's not possible, because there's somany people wanting to do medicine here. You have to enroll with an entrance exam and probably the only way you can study medicine here is through an exchange program and that's only for a year. After that you have to go back.

Or then you have to get really really lucky and somehow get a place....

deeplymauritius

On my way!

Post by deeplymauritius » Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:56 pm

Hello there.

I have just stumbled across this forum after a bit of googling and I have to say I looks really useful! I am moving to Finland in 6mths or so with my wife, who is Finnish, and I am trying to find out information on how to go about funding my studies (PhD in Arts) whilst I am there. We are going to Yliopiston Jyvaskylan and I need to arrange either a job or preferably some form of funding. I would be grateful if anyone has any useful tips and info (I'm going to check out what has been posted previously).

I am learning Finnish and have a reasonable grasp of the language now - how difficult is it to get a job until one is fluent?

Look fwd to a reply!!

Michael :D
The world was once so nice and shiny then Sh*t happened

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:49 pm

Update:

After being trying to contact some of the Finnish univs via email for about 3 months I give up :roll:

My conclusions:
1. Finns either don't use email services or don't know using computers at all.
2. Finnish univs are secured by armed guards with dogs and surrounded by mine-fields military zones. Nobody can get in, nobody can get out.
3. Finns are aliens from other universe.

Correct me if I'm wrong :roll:
G.S.

Make war with love