Permanent Residence in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:35 am

Greetings all,

With regard to the topic mentioned in the subject: Has anybody here had a positive outcome applying for a PR after two years of residence in Finland (not 2 years of 'A' status and not applying on the basis of family ties)? If so, would you be willing to share the details?

I was coached that it ought to be two years of plain residence that would qualify me for a PR. Having started my fourth year in Finland, I went to the foreigner's department at the police station, only to be informed that the two years of residence means two years of residence with an 'A' permit in the passport. They even pointed me out to a certain link on the UVI web pages. However, on the contrary, I am also told that the Ministry of the Interior also states two years of residence however, the police and the UVI interpret that as two years of 'A' permit residence.

And there seem to be a certain number of cases that have received the PR after two years. However, that process from what I know involved appeals to the court.

I would like to apply for a PR at the earliest, else hope that the new proposed law that proposes to elevate the number of years requirements to an all time record of 6 six years (2B+4A) does not come in to effect soon.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Ben

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:44 am

"residence" in legalese means "permanant residence". their laws they interprete. your best chance is renewing your B to an A, which they're supposed to do anyhow after a while.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

network_engineer

Permanenet Residence in Finland

Post by network_engineer » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:54 am

Greetings All,

OK, must clarify some things:

I have an 'A' permit now. The reason I posted this query is to simply be clear what the law states. If one were to refer to the link below:

http://www.uvi.fi/englanti/doc/laki/aliensact.pdf

Page 5, Section 16, it states that the PR is issued to people who have stayed here for two years and is considered from the day the residence permit becomes valid.

Thanks.

WBR,
B.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:00 am

I'd say if you now have a 5-year's A for a fixed term, wait for the 2 years and then apply for a permanent (no-term) A. Thats basically what it says in there. Of course, you are free to go and make noise.
Cheers, Hank W.

lalc

A2?

Post by lalc » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:19 pm

A quick question now! I have got A2 permit straight away since I have got a permanent job there. What does this mean? I remember reading that A2 means "permanent" ? How does PR differ from A2?
I prefer not doing it, if I can't be passionate about it.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:42 pm

Basically, the difference is A2 is for a set term (2-5 years) and then the following one is 'permanent' i.e. 'for the duration' = has no expiration date.
Cheers, Hank W.

lalc

Post by lalc » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:10 pm

Thanks Hank. Suprisingly they have given me A2 for 1 year.

1. So, after 1 more year, how many year should I renew it to? (Do I have any option to ask for number of terms since it could be anywhere less than 5 years ?)

2. In one of the postings I read that I can apply for a PR only after the expiry of my permit with the A2 status. Is this right?

Thanks again,
-Lal
I prefer not doing it, if I can't be passionate about it.

sy

Re: A2?

Post by sy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:12 pm

lalc wrote:A quick question now! I have got A2 permit straight away since I have got a permanent job there. What does this mean? I remember reading that A2 means "permanent" ? How does PR differ from A2?
The difference is huge. A2 is only fixed term. It is only of permanent by nature, i.e., UVI accepts your immigration intention. However, let's say if you lose your job at the end of the period of your A2 permit and can't find a new job, then you can't get A2 anymore, not to speak of PR. Then you have to leave Finland, unless you're from EU, or you can find other grounds to stay, e.g., studying. This point is emphasized in the proposal of the new Aliens Act.

On the other hand, if you have PR you are guaranteed the right to live in Finland (of course, subjected to other conditions), and you can get the umemployment benefits and other benefits as a Finnish citizen.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:13 pm

Don't hold me as an authority; but it is claimed that getting the next one is easier than the first one. It sort of depends on a lot of things and the ministry of labour statements then are regional so what applies in Helsinki may not apply in Turku...
Cheers, Hank W.