What does a 2-year permit means?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
donbj

Post by donbj » Sun Nov 30, 2003 10:31 am

My current work permit is B3. When I went to extend my permit last week, I was allowed to apply for a 2-year permit. Will the type of my permit be changed?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sy

Post by sy » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:50 am

No one answers this? Let me try...

B3 means that you're residing or working in the country temporarily. Allowing you to apply for a 2-year permit doesn't necessarily mean that your permit status will be changed. The status depends on the nature of your work and how the labor office sees it.

If you're working in Finland only for several months or on the international transfer within the company, then perhaps B3 is the right status for you. However, if you have a permanent employment contract, you should demand at least the B1 status, or A2 status if you 're working in a sector where long-term labor shortage is anticipated in Finland. Submit a written demand of this to the police, if you haven't done that.

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:36 pm

sy wrote:No one answers this? Let me try..
Its a problem this because us EU members often don't know the system for non EU applicants. It would be helpful for me at least if someone created a thread documenting whats required for non EU applicants to gain residence permits, visa's etc to enter Finland. Then maybe we could help few more people.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:44 pm

One thing is to read first the pdf's on the UVI website.
http://www.uvi.fi

The labour opinion required for a work permit stuff is on the MOL website
http://www.mol.fi/tyolupa/eng/

I think our FAQ would only point to these sites as we're not experts.

There is night/day difference between EU/non-EU as well as nordic/EU.
Last edited by Hank W. on Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:52 pm

Ace wrote:
sy wrote:No one answers this? Let me try..
It would be helpful for me at least if someone created a thread documenting whats required for non EU applicants to gain residence permits, visa's etc to enter Finland. Then maybe we could help few more people.
Yes I agree sy you seem to be knowedgeable on these variants of application and permit types for non EU folk.
Could you do that please.
How about a topic called "imigration documents de-coded"
start by selecting "post new topic" then click the box which says
Sticky in the section:
Post topic as: Normal "Sticky" Announcement
Others can then add to this list and it will not slide down the page as more posts are added.

Only other point I might add but you could be right and I wrong.. I am not sure that making "writen demands" of the Finnish police is best way to get them to co-operate..perhaps a polite request to reconsider "because and because" might be better.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:04 pm

Peter Floyd wrote: I am not sure that making "writen demands" of the Finnish police is best way to get them to co-operate..perhaps a polite request to reconsider "because and because" might be better.
Ah you, nice, British, diplomatic, friendly, polite people.

It doesn't matter. The Finnish term is 'kirjallinen pyyntö'. The translation is a demand for or a request for. You may ask it politely or straight forward to the police. It's the same.

All these nice, little, polite, British requests...

donbj

Post by donbj » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:08 pm

Thanks for replies! :D

I have been in Finland for almost 2 years and granted B3 two times.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:12 pm

And I don't know if this clears anything...
http://www.mol.fi/tyolupa/eng/proc.ppt
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sy

Post by sy » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:30 am

Peter Floyd wrote:Yes I agree sy you seem to be knowedgeable on these variants of application and permit types for non EU folk.
Could you do that please.
How about a topic called "imigration documents de-coded"
start by selecting "post new topic" then click the box which says
Sticky in the section:
Post topic as: Normal "Sticky" Announcement
Others can then add to this list and it will not slide down the page as more posts are added.

Only other point I might add but you could be right and I wrong.. I am not sure that making "writen demands" of the Finnish police is best way to get them to co-operate..perhaps a polite request to reconsider "because and because" might be better.
I think it needs huge efforts to write such a document. And it's hard to cover all the cases. What's more, the new Aliens Act will come in several months. Let's just wait for a while, and hope at that time UVI will also give some instructions in plain English.

About the "wrtten demands" in my previous post. Maybe I haven't stated that well. However, Tom is right. Of course you should talk politely to the lady or gentleman on the counter when you hand in your application. But they are not the decision makers. However you talk to them politely, they won't relay your requests to the decision maker. So everything should be written down. What I was trying to say in my previous post is that you have to know by yourself what you're entitled to apply and have your request/demand written down. In our example, donbj should know that he/she might be entitled to apply for the B1 (or even A2) status for two years with work permit valid for a whole section/scope (i.e., not employer specific), depending on his/her situation, and have these requests written down. Please note that the application form is kind of not-well-designed or outdated, so you can put these requests on a separate paper as an appendix to the application.