Euro 2004 draw

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Ace

Euro 2004 draw

Post by Ace » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:55 pm

Group A
Portugal
Greece
Spain
Russia

Group B
France
England
Switzerland
Croatia

Group C
Sweden
Bulgaria
Denmark
Italy

Group D
Czech Republic
Latvia
Germany
Netherlands

Some classics there eh?

Portugal v Spain
France v England
Germany v Netherlands

Group of death? Group D I reckon :-) (poor old Latvia ) :wink:

I'm pretty happy with that :wink:

To use a corny Americanism:

"We're going to open a can of whup ass on you tgabawm" ;-)

Hey ajdias how do you like the Portugal v Spain fixture? ;-)

Euro 2004 draw

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:16 pm

Theres some real good fixtures there and England could have had it a lot worse .
Your right about poor old Latvia though . What a group.

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:17 pm

That's a really interesting draw... Really good games coming... And I can't wait to see France-England... Since how long haven't we played against each other in some official competition? That's gonna be a great game...And you're right, there is no doubt about the issue of this game: WE are gonna win, badly, a memorable game it's gonna be... :wink:
If the drop would say "I am unnecesary", there would be no ocean.
(M. Quoist)

Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:21 pm

brumlee wrote:Your right about poor old Latvia though . What a group.
They're dead arent they :roll: Just imagine could easily have been Turkey in their place:

Group D
Czech Republic
Turkey
Germany
Netherlands

Ouch that would have been a seriously worse Group of death then IMO ;-)

Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:24 pm

tgabawm wrote:That's a really interesting draw... Really good games coming... And I can't wait to see France-England... Since how long haven't we played against each other in some official competition? That's gonna be a great game...And you're right, there is no doubt about the issue of this game: WE are gonna win, badly, a memorable game it's gonna be... :wink:
Yeah must admit that I think France will win the group. Croatia could be a surprise package though. Switzerland looks like 3 points to me!

With half of France driving to the game and approximately 75% of tourists already booked to visit Portugal next year apparently English. France v England is going to be a monster of a fixture 8)

Post by Guest » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:05 pm

Pfff... Germany and Holland...
Not good. Especially not in the state Holland is in right now (that match against Scotland was probably a fluke).
Those Germans are going to laugh...

ajdias

Re: Euro 2004 draw

Post by ajdias » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:12 am

Ace wrote: Hey ajdias how do you like the Portugal v Spain fixture? ;-)
Not very happy, for some reason I could not believe it. Strange that is, Portugal and Spain in the same group is quite unusual these days... But someone had to be, pot 2 was quite hot. Don't see why Sweden and Czech R were on n1.
all in all the fixtures were not that bad, even group D is not so much a death one. There will be a few suprises waiting in June.

I just hope that Portugal can offer me a nice birthday present on the opening game against Greece, on "my stadium"! :D

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:17 am

Arno wrote:Pfff... Germany and Holland...
Not good. Especially not in the state Holland is in right now (that match against Scotland was probably a fluke).
Those Germans are going to laugh...
Revenge for those two world cup finals Arno ;-) come on mate you and the Czech Republic can do us all a favour here :-) we don't want to play Germany in any more semi finals thanks :roll:

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:34 am

ajdias wrote:
Ace wrote: Hey ajdias how do you like the Portugal v Spain fixture? ;-)
Not very happy, for some reason I could not believe it. Strange that is, Portugal and Spain in the same group is quite unusual these days... But someone had to be, pot 2 was quite hot. Don't see why Sweden and Czech R were on n1.
all in all the fixtures were not that bad, even group D is not so much a death one. There will be a few suprises waiting in June.

I just hope that Portugal can offer me a nice birthday present on the opening game against Greece, on "my stadium"! :D
Hmm I thought you would have been happy with that one, Spain are almost as bad as Holland for not delivering on their potential in tournaments.

I agree the "seeding" of teams was a bit strange. Although I think The Czech Republic deserved to be there.

Group D's not bad? Ouch Holland and Germany and The Czech Republic ? :wink: About time Germany got a group like that after they had the red carpet rolled out for them all the way to the World Cup final :!:

Bit different from this group:

Germany
Ireland
Cameroon
Saudi Arabia

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:43 am

Ace wrote:[Group D's not bad? Ouch Holland and Germany and The Czech Republic ? :wink: About time Germany got a group like that after they had the red carpet rolled out for them all the way to the World Cup final :!:
Loosing memory Olly? I'll tell you what a death group is:
Portugal
Germany
Romania
England

That was only 3 years ago.. Romania was quite a good team and perhaps Portugal did not have such high profile as nowadays.. PORT and ROM went trough right?

Spain might not deliver but they always get to the quarters.
For me it was weird because there isn't any serious rivalry between the two teams and I got used to support Spain whenever Portugal was out of the tournement - and that was rather too often :x :x

Ace

Post by Ace » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:48 am

ajdias wrote:Loosing memory Olly? I'll tell you what a death group is:
Portugal
Germany
Romania
England

That was only 3 years ago.. Romania was quite a good team and perhaps Portugal did not have such high profile as nowadays.. PORT and ROM went trough right?
I remember I was happy we didn't get you again. Its true there is no such group like that here, it would have been more like it with Turkey replacing Latvia though. Groups of death? England are veterans:

Sweden
England
Argentina
Nigeria

:wink:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/02/en/t/g/index.html

Whilst your dredging up Ingurlands dismal group stage performances let me remind you of this:

Korea
USA
Portugal
Poland
:roll: :wink: