recognition of Dominican Republic divorce by Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hammershoi

Post by Hammershoi » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:01 am

I write to enquiry about the validity of a bilateral bona fide Dominican Republic divorce in the Finland.

I am a US citizen married to a UK citizen. We both reside in New York, New York. I am divorcing my husband in the Dominican Republic.

My future partner is from Finland. Once I am divorced, I will marry my Finnish boyfriend. New York state recognizes Dominican Republic divorces should we decide to marry in New York.

We are interested in moving to Finland. I need to know if the Dominican Republic divorce be recognized in Finland as valid based on the principle of comity. And therefore, whether or not we would be able to marry in Finland, and/or live as a married couple in Finland.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:00 am

Wow thats a difficult question. I have faith that Hank (the forum oracle) will be able to find the answer :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:31 am

The problem of "funny foreign papers" is always there.

What you'd need here is an affidavit from whatever the authority is in NYC that gives marriage licences to prove you are eligible. I'd think the marriage in NYC would be the option of not needing to bring forth too much paperwork. Atleast from Finland you get a certificate by the press of a button. Now trying to hit a clerk in NYC with a clue-by-four "no birth certificate exists in that country so he won't have one" may also be easier as they've heard of foreign places sometimes.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.