Ryan air route to Tampere closing

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:24 pm

Sorry find another way to Musta Maraka and Nassville.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3287677.stm
Leave it a bit vague as to whether it is only the via Sweden route or total routes to/from Tampere...?
In case you dont know Nassville is Helsinki slang for Tampere..Tamperlainen folk have a habbit of dropping their word for "you see" into conversation..so it comes out as "Näas"
e.g. "Musta makara on parempi nääs kuin <word censor> nääs!"

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Handsome

Post by Handsome » Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:40 pm

I just read about that, too. They're only going to axe the Tampere -> Stockholm flight, thankfully.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:30 pm

You are ok for a while, Tampere-London is not listed as going... yet.

I wonder how long it will take before they realise as Buzz did before them, that they can travel to France three times for the same turnaround time as a single flight to Finland. Even with a good load factor, it makes a strong argument for flights to France and Austria which is what Buzz did.

kultary

Post by kultary » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:34 pm

Did you see that they were adding Tampere - Frankfurt?

-ry

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:51 pm

Yes, it is good to see that we now have a cheap route into Europe. Perhaps I will get back to Moldova next year now!

TOMPPA

Post by TOMPPA » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:10 pm

I've just booked flights to come over in January to hopefully finalise our move and our wedding in July.

Huge pannick stations for me if they pull out sharpish. I paid £23 each, return from Stansted including taxes and don't fancy having to re book Finnair for ££££££s extra last minute.

Mind you I'm pretty used to airlines pulling out last minute. Where I live in the Channel Islands it's happened quite a lot over the last few years, making it difficult and expensive to get off the rock !

Tom

No.6

Post by No.6 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:53 am

TOMPPA wrote:Huge pannick stations for me if they pull out sharpish. I paid £23 each, return from Stansted including taxes and don't fancy having to re book Finnair for ££££££s extra last minute.
Tom
I was robbed! paid 310e return for five, all included :cry:

The Tampere-Stansted route has only just been started, so I doubt they are ready to analyze the profitability until after the summer, and also the Tampere-Munchen(?) route gives some critical mass to the ground services. Although to tell the truth the most comfortable way to get to the UK or Europe even (for a family with a car) is overnight TKU-STO on the boat of your choice and a 1,5h flight from Skavsta *with a choice of departures* to 6-7 places. Go Sverige!

The Tampere-Skavsta route was a gonna before it was started - timetable is !"#¤% besides if you live in Tampere, and since Ryanair will *not* guarantee connections WTF is the purpose of creating route hubs at this end of the market?

Do you know FlyingFinn is flying to Stansted from Helsinki for about 100e one-way IIRC. Also er, someone is starting to fly Helsinki-Beeerming'm soon.

BTW, dunno about Buzz's business plan - didn't it go into bankruptcy before being taken over by Ryanair? *longer* haul routes are more profitable for any airline as the plance is in the air for a greater period of the day, not on the ground. What was Buzz's real excuse??
I am not a number!

RM

Post by RM » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:05 am

Buzz had the problem of time. The Helsinki route meant that even a small delay would put their crew over the time they are allowed to be on duty. Probably Thinair made sure that delays in ground handling and a slow bus to the plane made it impossible to turn around fast enough. A big saving for the economy airlines is that they don't want crews based in foreign countries. They need to fly from home and back in one return trip. Plus Helsinki is an expensive place to land, like most airports takeoffs are free but then they have got you.

A stewardess I know that works for Finnair tells of the layovers they have, always in the best hotels with day money and expenses which is bound to dent the bottom line a bit.

No.6

Post by No.6 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:27 am

RM wrote:Buzz had the problem of time. The Helsinki route meant that even a small delay would put their crew over the time they are allowed to be on duty. Probably Thinair made sure that delays in ground handling and a slow bus to the plane made it impossible to turn around fast enough. A big saving for the economy airlines is that they don't want crews based in foreign countries. They need to fly from home and back in one return trip. Plus Helsinki is an expensive place to land, like most airports takeoffs are free but then they have got you.
That sounds nearer to the truth.
I am not a number!

mesquita

Post by mesquita » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:54 am

No.6 wrote:Do you know FlyingFinn is flying to Stansted from Helsinki for about 100e one-way IIRC.
Not any more.
http://www.flyingfinn.com/index.php?page=xlfo&lang=eng