VISA :))))

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:31 pm

Just wanted to let y'all know that my VISA has come through . The kids and I arrive in Helsinki on August 1st. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in the group..... Now to find a job :)))

Many thanks for all the help members have provided thus far!

Trish

[email protected]

BTW : Does anyone know when classes start for school children?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

daive

Re: VISA :))))

Post by daive » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:42 pm

TrishPaakkonen wrote:Just wanted to let y'all know that my VISA has come through . The kids and I arrive in Helsinki on August 1st. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in the group..... Now to find a job :)))

Many thanks for all the help members have provided thus far!

Trish

[email protected]

BTW : Does anyone know when classes start for school children?
Congratulations on the VISA... now to finding a job.

In answer to your question... Usually 8am in the mornings!!

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:49 pm

No silly...I meant what date do classes begin :)

Trish

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:10 pm

Mid August not sure of actual date..depends on their age but my guess 11th or 12th...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:50 am

12.8 you smartarse...

though that is in Helsinki. Other counties - other times.

Trish, if you want to have the kids in an english curriculum school.. like better start phoning...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:45 am

I asked the kids next door..the youngest (boy 8 years old) said...en mene takaisin.. :evil: ( I am not going back) :twisted: his big sister said.."ikävä kylla varma menemme. :cry: .mutta .. :) ei ennen käkstoista elokuu..."
So 12 August ....
Trish if you want the English language school details ..need to know the ages of your tribe :wink:

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:52 pm

My husband is already in Helsinki and looking for a larger place ( which I imagine will determine where exactly the kids attend).

Anastasia is 16 and going into her senior year here in the states. We have decided to let her stay here for her last year since we found out that if she accompanies us she would have to attend 10th, 11th, 12th and then 13th grade.( to graduate) I think the idea is absurd given she is a top student.

Jonathan will be 13 by the time we arrive.Though he is in our so called honor classes and has completed the 7th grade, Timo, my husband has been told he " is not allowed" to go on to the 8th grade due to his age! Unbelievable!

On this matter I have a question: Is there any point arguing with Helsinki school administrators about his placement?

Katariina is 2 so wont be attending school. Any ideas about day care facilities would be greatly appreciated.

A final note: Two more " kids" are included in our " tribe". Sarah is studying to be a midwife and Justin, also at university, is giving programming a shot. So of course, they will remain in the US.

Anyone looking for a Yale grad willing to do dishes and wash floors :) let me know ASAP . I NEED any job :)))

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:45 am

TrishPaakkonen wrote: Katariina is 2 so wont be attending school. Any ideas about day care facilities would be greatly appreciated.

:)))
Try to PM Sara ..she knows most of the English language and other toddler places.
But of course much depends on where you live..