Looking for courses and work

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rob

Post by rob » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:10 am

Hi, I'm new to this board but it seems like there's a lot of helpful people on here so I thought I could ask for help. I've just moved here from the UK with my fiancee and would like some information on where I can learn finnish (I have a basic grasp at present). Also does anyone know where there are good courses in IT in Helsinki that are taught in English, not degrees but maybe ones at polys, I particulary interested in multimedia stuff.

I've looked on the net extensively but none of the sites I have found particularly led me anywhere.

Lastly, where can an English speaker get work here? I'm going to try getting DJ spots when my equipment arrives but that's not exactly stable.

All ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:37 am

http://www.helia.fi/english/Business%20 ... Education/

http://www.evitech.fi/technology/programmes

sorry they're degrees but at a polytechnic. Probably you could just take the credits that interest you rather than the whole program though?

Heres a 20 credit course in computers and telecommunication
Its not been updated yet but I attend this course and as far as I know a new one starts in september.

http://www.arcada.fi/fortbildning/v/eng.htm

Finnish for free:

http://www...net/bb/viewtopic.php?t=41

PeterF

Re: Looking for courses and work

Post by PeterF » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:56 am

rob wrote:Hi, I'm new Lastly, where can an English speaker get work here?
All ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rob
The most common question on ths board and the most difficult to answer..
But my answer is..NETWORK..set up a network of contacts. get to meet and talk and get friendly with anyone who can understand you .. go visit places where they might have need of, or know where DJs are needed.. if that is the line to tend to work in untill you have other skills e.g IT.
Mix in with the local you need contacts who have contacts etc.
You could start by joining a few us us here on Saturday bring your girl not only is she welcome but she can keep Sara company while we boys mis-behave :wink:
http://www.toppari.fi/riogrande/kartta.html
See the postings about Vantaa drinks and Shinanigans
We dont bite.. :wink:
If you cant make ..just keep coming here and chat and we will help when ever we can.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:59 am

Here's a summer program with a Multimedia track: http://www.hkkk.fi/itp
This year's program has already started :( , but there will be a new one next year..

For Suomea check the links on the finnish language forum. This thread will keep you busy for a good while:
http://www...net/bb/viewtopic.php?t ... sc&start=0

Ace

Post by Ace » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:34 am

ajdias wrote:Here's a summer program with a Multimedia track: http://www.hkkk.fi/itp
This year's program has already started :( , but there will be a new one next year..
Hmmm very interesting, I've never heard of this. Hopefully they keep running the course, I would like to participate in the distant future.

rob

Post by rob » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:49 am

Thanks for the information. Sorry I couldn't make it for drinks Peter, I've been up north at my girlfriends paretns summer place, but thanks for the invite. It seems summer is not a great time to arrive as everything seems to have started already. I'll persevere though, I'm sure to find the right course. The problem really is that I don't have A levels and I'm concerned this will be a massive hinderance here, any ideas of instituitions were this may not be a problem??

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:57 am

rob wrote:Thanks for the information. Sorry I couldn't make it for drinks Peter, I've been up north at my girlfriends paretns summer place, but thanks for the invite. It seems summer is not a great time to arrive as everything seems to have started already. I'll persevere though, I'm sure to find the right course. The problem really is that I don't have A levels and I'm concerned this will be a massive hinderance here, any ideas of instituitions were this may not be a problem??
Hi Rob

Unfortunately, Finland is a very qualification orientated place. I knew a lad with a HND diploma, thet was simply not recognised as a valid qualification here. I have a Bachelors degree, and in most places the bare minimum seems to be a Masters.

You may find somewhere if you can convince them, but it might be tricky.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's better if you know the real situation. I guess some of the younger people here might have some links for you to try...

At least you get some goot time in at the summer cottage :wink:

Cheers
Gavin

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:08 pm

rob wrote:The problem really is that I don't have A levels and I'm concerned this will be a massive hinderance here, any ideas of instituitions were this may not be a problem??
I dont think many people in Finland even know what "A" levels are so not having them is unlikely to be any bigger hinderance than the many other things which are going to cause you problems.
In Finland as a foreigner a UK masters is seen as equal to Finnish school cert or at bst an ONC ..or seems to be so.. sorry your "O" level are not worth anything here.
You only mention DJ work...and an interest in a course in IT ..why IT.?
Do you know that the last IT course run in Helsinki Tech as part of unemployment retraining program had over 500 apllicants for 30 places.. but carpentry had only 10 applicants.
My advice...
Think of some other line of work..but in the mean time enjoy the summer ..we have the infamous "get drunk and fall in the lake" week end called Johannes 20th .22nd this month have fun :wink:

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:44 pm

rob wrote:Thanks for the information. Sorry I couldn't make it for drinks Peter, I've been up north at my girlfriends paretns summer place, but thanks for the invite. It seems summer is not a great time to arrive as everything seems to have started already. I'll persevere though, I'm sure to find the right course. The problem really is that I don't have A levels and I'm concerned this will be a massive hinderance here, any ideas of instituitions were this may not be a problem??
I dont have any A levels (well I have one AS level which is supposed to be half an A level) and I study a degree in business IT here in Finland at Helsinki Business Polytechnic http://www.helia.fi. To get in I had to take an entrance exam and it was fairly easy (especially if english is your first language). I also study 20 credits at arcada polytechnic http://www.arcada.fi in telecommumications. There were no requirements to get on this course. If anything its much easier to study here than in the UK

Entrance to Higher education at polytechnics for non Finns seems to be entrance exam oriented. Previous qualifications count for something but not much.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:33 pm

Peter Floyd wrote:..we have the infamous "get drunk and fall in the lake" week end called Johannes 20th .22nd this month
Yes, this is St.John the Baptists commemoration, first you dance with a craze and then loose your head and end up in the lake with your willy in your hand... now of course the Finns got Salome, King Herod and poor St John all conglomerated into one and thus we have such havoc....
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Looking for courses and work

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:37 pm

rob wrote:Also does anyone know where there are good courses in IT in Helsinki that are taught in English, not degrees
So whats the use of going on one then? Finns are very paper-oriented as well. No degree = no job. I can recommend the school Olly goes to. If nothin else you can brush up your Finnish and then get a bachelors degree so you can tell peopple stuff their O-levels in their A's :mrgreen: + you'll get networked.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:42 pm

gavin wrote: I knew a lad with a HND diploma, thet was simply not recognised as a valid qualification here.
Whats that anyways? Something like my 'merkonomi' papers? 2 years vocational business school? I can't even wipe my butt with my merkonomi papers because its too shiny a paper. Actually any places I've applied to school I've used my fancy blue paper that says "magna cum laude approbatur" and entitles me to use a white cap on vappu :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

rob

Post by rob » Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:13 pm

Thanks for the tips again. I think the BITE course maybe worth a shot. DJing is only a hobby but my work has mainly always been in admin and IT, web design etc. The only problem is I don't have evidence of this on papaer, so that's why I wanted to do a degree here. I try those courses Olly suggested I reckon. Thanks.

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:34 pm

Hank W. wrote:
gavin wrote: I knew a lad with a HND diploma, thet was simply not recognised as a valid qualification here.
Whats that anyways? Something like my 'merkonomi' papers? 2 years vocational business school? I can't even wipe my butt with my merkonomi papers because its too shiny a paper. Actually any places I've applied to school I've used my fancy blue paper that says "magna cum laude approbatur" and entitles me to use a white cap on vappu :mrgreen:
Higher National Diploma, like a vocational A level, maybe a touch more advanced (1st year degree???)

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:43 pm

olly wrote:Higher National Diploma, like a vocational A level, maybe a touch more advanced (1st year degree???)
HND = 3 year vocational course, the nearest thing in Finland is the Engineer. One step below a Bachelors degree...

As an example, in the UK, HND Forestry equates to Finnish MTI Metsätalousinsinööri (Forest Engineer) - and no, it's nothing to do with engineering!