Deleted by creator.

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:17 am

Hank W. wrote: Good :twisted:
Geez, Hank....This is scary... our tastes are similar... :shock: Where did you get that Grateful Dead t-shirt???... I'm jealous... :evil: (I also had one of those Type II VW vans...though it was the Westfalia version, back in the early 1980s..)

A couple of years ago I was thinking of getting a cycling jersey, like this:

(Looks like you'll have to copy and paste to see the image...)

...only $80 from some company in, I think it's Colorado...

...but decided it would be just a bit too much of an attention-getter even for me...

I even mocked up a potential Finland Forum avatar with that as the theme...but decided to stay with 'bland' instead... :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:20 am

Hm, yeah, you're right.. So i guess i'm stuck to the jobs other people wouldn't want to do here, so you wouldn't quite need a qualification for that... :thumbsdown:
I'm thinking @ schools, also. But i don't know what's the way getting into a school here, what papers you need, if you just *can* be admitted as a foreigner, not on a student-exchange basis or scholarship.. Uh, it's tough. Then even if I'd get admitted legally in a college or something, then what's the way to support myself in the meanwhile?
Here I am thinking to get a college degree or something in order to get a job, but i need a job in order to support myself in college. Oh, man! :x This is a vicious circle!

Where's that person to say: "hei, here's a job for you, wanna do it?" and me like... "well, if i can..." // "no prob, i'll teach you"

Yay!... :D

Okay, this is getting sad.
Free your mind and the rest will follow!

blaugrau

Post by blaugrau » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 am

The vicious circle you describe is the same situation Finnish students find themselves in unless their parents can 100% support them financially. Many of them work as cashiers in supermarkets or as cleaners. As long as you're not more or less fluent in Finnish, I predict the former category of jobs difficult to get for you, but the latter one might be a possibility if you're lucky.

If you're not permanently domiciled here, then you're not eligible for any student support from Kela. However, if you're registered with the police as an employee (are you, on the grounds of your au-pair job?), then you might get eligible for support once you've got this permanent status. It could be that the regulations are somewhat different though for au-pairs, I'm not too knowledgable in that direction. Anyway, I think right now, you have to concentrate on ANY job that provides a living (and it's no shame to work as a cleaner by the way in case you were wondering), and once you're finnish is better or your status has changed, you can still try to start studying and maybe get some support from the state.

What is your status paper-wise here, this is important for considering you options.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:42 am

jazzori wrote: But i don't know what's the way getting into a school here, what papers you need, if you just *can* be admitted as a foreigner
Well, you know, I am half starting to believe you just sit on your ass waiting for the fried chicken to fly into your mouth?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Looking for job in Turku starting with 2008.

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:01 am

flyingyellowpig wrote:Why in the hell do you think someone will give your a job how you like in here and apart that you can't speak Finnish?
Because shes an easy catch?

Theres always the possibility... then again the probability...
Cheers, Hank W.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:03 am

Hank W. wrote:
jazzori wrote: But i don't know what's the way getting into a school here, what papers you need, if you just *can* be admitted as a foreigner
Well, you know, I am half starting to believe you just sit on your ass waiting for the fried chicken to fly into your mouth?
Hank, as you see, i am trying to gather information of what to do with myself, to start a life in here and so on. I am not sitting and waiting, but show me a person who would mind having a fried chicken flying in his/her mouth ( unless we're talking about a vegetarian ).

jazzori

Re: Looking for job in Turku starting with 2008.

Post by jazzori » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 am

Hank W. wrote:
flyingyellowpig wrote:Why in the hell do you think someone will give your a job how you like in here and apart that you can't speak Finnish?
Because shes an easy catch?

Theres always the possibility... then again the probability...
I am not here to have a discussion about nothing with smart asses, Hank. Either you can help, either you cannot. Noone forces you to do anything. Especially if you're waisting your time being cynical, then.. what can i say.. you have a lot of free time.
I also want to add that i'm glad that having this conversation -- "conversation" -- makes you feel better about yourself and your life, your job or whatever you made, did or just had till now, but please start writing it to a journal.

I am not here to sit on my ass! It sounds appealing, but i am ruling out the possibility.

@ The person who did the remark with the Finnish language i have two mentions:

1. not every work needs the language spoken perfectly; there is a lot of physical work outthere which needs no nice Finnish exchange of words to be completed -- the kind of work, for example, you wouldn't do it cause, doh, you are to good for it.

2. i am currently at a Finnish language course and i am the best in it, that rises my hopes high that in the future i may be able to speak Finnish very well... and with some improvement... to a higher level

So what's the deal anyway? I am looking for ways to earn my existence here where the state doesn't spit my face, ok? It's a lil' bit harder to start this than to sit at a computer and being judgemental.

J.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:15 am

Well, the vegan :lol: Subtle hint: read the stickies at the "Studying in Finland" and follow the links. And yes, for KELA handouts you have to be registered as a resident for reasons "other than studying" to qualify. (Meaning what it says on the EU-paper from the police). Not that the handouts are much to count on.
Cheers, Hank W.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:22 am

not every work needs the language spoken perfectly; there is a lot of physical work outthere which needs no nice Finnish exchange of words to be completed
True, but if a ten Finnish people and you are competing for that job, who do you think will get picked?

Plus, hiring a foreigner will mean that you either ignore the person completely at coffee breaks or you are forced to speak English. Both situations are something that will make a Finn uncomfortable. So he/she will hire a Finn.

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:24 am

I see.

Thanks. I'll sleep on it and see what i will come up with.. :)

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:44 am

jazzori wrote:I see.

Thanks. I'll sleep on it and see what i will come up with.. :)
hmmm Dream in Finnish then!! :wink:

jazzori

Post by jazzori » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:46 am

:D :D I can't wait to speak Finnish, i love the sound of it! :)

Kauniita unia minulle! (is that right? :roll: )

blaugrau

Post by blaugrau » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:14 pm

Don't underestimate the importance of knowing Finnish ESPECIALLY in manual and non-skilled work. People recruiting and working in these areas seldom speak English, and you have to understand the instructions (incl. health and safety issues) given otherwise you're a risk to yourself, others and the employer's property/tools. I think the same would apply to Romania, so just think of that as an analogy...

so it's good that you still like learning finnish and you're doing fine so far, you'll definitely need it.