Post-degree information technology courses in English

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
daniel_g

Post by daniel_g » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:05 am

Hi,
I'm coming to the end of a four year long university degree, and would like to have some sort of computer related qualification before I start working. In the UK it's possible to do a one year post-degree course in information technology for people who have no previous qualifications in the subject. I was wondering if anyone knows of similar types of courses in Finland (that are available in English and last at most a couple of years) as i'd love to study there. I've looked at a lot of Finnish universities' websites and got very confused as to what's available! Any type of qualification would be good though, i'm not bothered about studying at a university.
Thanks in advance if anyone can help!
Daniel

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:12 am

Heres one, I would like to take this:

http://www.arcada.fi/fortbildning/w/Fil ... reless.pdf
http://www.arcada.fi/further/

Its a one year course in wireless applications in Helsinki. 20Msc credits

daniel_g

Post by daniel_g » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:59 pm

Thanks a lot, that's exactly the sort of course I'm looking for. Unfortunately that course requires me to have done a computing degree first though.. Don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to do a degree in ancient history! :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:35 pm

Finnish universities aren't really open to cross-disciplinary degrees, so I guess it is mummification to you. Though say if you came over you might study something in IT, most probably the "how to use a computer" and "advanced Word and Excel"...

Your degree makes you a perfect candidate for a management position though :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:04 pm

daniel_g wrote:Thanks a lot, that's exactly the sort of course I'm looking for. Unfortunately that course requires me to have done a computing degree first though.. Don't know why I ever thought it was a good idea to do a degree in ancient history! :roll:
Not true. I just did one of their 1 year courses and I don't have a degree. Even though they recommend you have studied in this field before, you can still get on the course and pass. You just have to study a bit more :-)

For the course I took they accepted everyone (just as well as only four of us completed the whole course)

Im glad I applied and took the course even though I didn't meet the criterea, I got 20 credits in computers and telecommunications 8)
These specialization studies are intended for persons with an BSc. (Eng.) compatible or polytechnic degree in Computer and Telecommunication Engineering.
http://www.arcada.fi/fortbildning/v/cte_02_03.htm

didn't stop me 8) I guarantee if you apply for a 1 year further education course at Arcada they'll accept you.

daniel_g

Post by daniel_g » Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:01 pm

Thanks for your help, I'll definitely consider applying there :)