part-time or weekend work from tallinn

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
fuegobeard

Post by fuegobeard » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:17 am

greetings finland forum!
im an american studying in tallinn at the moment as was wondering if anyone has advice for finding part-time or weekend work in helsinki. my course work is pretty much restricted to 2 days a week (mon-tues) here in tallinn so it wouldnt be a probem to commute by ferry to work for the rest of the week so i figure why not?

the wages in tallinn are crap compared to what ive been told i can earn in finland (of course this info is from finns) but i wanted to ask other foreigners what its really like. i have no expectation of making what i could make in the states but if its more than here...

ive read some of the ther posts and it seems that persistence is key, but any other advice? anybody in here have some specific tips (specifically for native english speakers) or can name some good job websites?

kittos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:39 am

The initial problem is, we don't employ wetbacks ;) Your student permit for Estonia doesn't give you any right to be employed across the border, so you'd need to find an employer willing to hire you, then you both would need to fill in the appropriate paperwork to apply for a residence permit for a worker etc.. So unless you have a niche job waiting for you, the positive outcome of this equation =residence permit - is one minor slightly challenging drawback to be considered as nobody will hire you unless you got your papers straight. There is a few work-arounds, so it all depends on what you do exactly and what you study?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

fuegobeard

Post by fuegobeard » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:40 pm

Much thanks for the input hank :D . Im gonna start my homework on the work arounds...

In case anybody reading is also hiring....
BS in Business Marketing degree. Work experience in auditing, business admin/HR and CAD work, with some labor/service industry jobs in-between. Also have experience with english teaching but not certified. Am currently studying anthropology.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:32 pm

Well, as a student in an EU country there are a few "plan B" options if you're looking for say internships and such. Not that they pay much for interns but do they pay anywhere... Now of course if you became (self)employed in Estonia***, and then "provided services"... hrmpf... now *that* is a can-of-worms you do the homework on http://www.uvi.fi => residence permit and the small print between EU and non-EU... it *might* well provide a back-door. As well as look at the jobs not needing a permit, and at the jobs not requiring a residence permit as such.

Ah, this is what was gnawing my nose... permanent employees of a company operating in another EU/EEA country who perform temporary acquisition or subcontract work in Finland, as long as the alien has valid and appropriate residence and work permits in the other country.

***The bureaucracy in Estonia is slightly different than the one in Finland, so I can't say anything definitive on the viability of the option. There is one thing on the EU cross-border mobility but then theres the Schengen and the non-EU rules to make a happy mix on top.

Oh, and as for teaching substitutes; look for say Megastertex' post, there are possibilities... (just the workaround re. permit... apply for an exchange course at Helsinki Uni? ;) )

And why you are saying all this "wages are crap" my man, we've had people come here professing how Estonia is the "Land of Opportunity" businesswise, where people get filthy rich on the spot and so forth... (I just have a hunch they were thinking positive instead of having a business degree) :twisted:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

fuegobeard

Post by fuegobeard » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:51 pm

I found some interestingly worded laws as well, apparently teachers or consultants with an invitation to work dont need a work permit if its for less than 90 days....im gonna keep doing my homework. Thanks again for pointin me in the right direction :)

There is a lot of opportunity in Estonia if you have some seed money or investment capital and a good idea. As long as you have no problem (and no conscience) with paying workers beneath their worth, you can make some good profit here as a business owner.