Stora Enso sacks 1100 in Finland remote villages suffer

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Can you find Kemijärvi or Summa on the map? Well, next time some HBS case wants to move to there, please report how the locals think positively of globalization. Meanwhile, we need more workers. And more beggars. IMNSHO the Finnish Government should be outsourced next to gain substantial savings.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

otyikondo

Re: Stora Enso sacks 1100 in Finland remote villages suffer

Post by otyikondo » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:12 pm

Hank W. wrote:Can you find Kemijärvi or Summa on the map? Well, next time some HBS case wants to move to there, please report how the locals think positively of globalization. Meanwhile, we need more workers. And more beggars. IMNSHO the Finnish Government should be outsourced next to gain substantial savings.
I think that should be:"Can you find Kemijärvi or Summa on the map?"

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:27 pm

Whoopsydaisy... I get more borked links these days with the darn mac keyboard...
Cheers, Hank W.

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:21 am

Kemijärvi used to be quite a busy little town..
Couple of sizeable electronic component manufacturers/assembly plants..
I can remember visiting one and being told that they loaded over 1 million componets onto PCBs in one day...It was really humming.
Then they were squeezed by their customers to cut or at least freeze prices..(Not just Nokia..Ericssons were actualy a bigger customer).
They moved to India and China..
I think a cosmetics company occupied the factory for a while....but they too seem to have gone elsewhere.

The paper mill then became the only employer of more than 100 folk.
Now that is to close.

Does the train still go there? I seem to remember VR said that not enough people wanted to go there so it was to be axed.
Sokos have closed (or sold) their hotel in Kemijärvi..I think it has been re-opened by a local family, for winter sports (not far from Pyhätunturi).

Kemijärvi many years ago was a centre for Reindeer herdsmen..
I suppose that it what it will now revert to.

I fear Kemijärvi is the beging of a trend ...At least there is no tumble weed to blow down the streets. :(
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:51 am

Salocomp was the mobile phone factory. They were the largest employer; some 450 people.

However, despoite the doom and gloom it does seem the natives are stubborn.
Cheers, Hank W.