Waste water engineer - do I have a chance?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
mjekov

Post by mjekov » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:01 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a 33 old waste water treatment engineer with eight years experience in water treatment, water pollution control and air pollution control. I also have background in some monitoring systems, computer systems(SAP/R3 and Documentum) and quality survey (ISO 9001 and 14001). I speak English, Russian, Bulgarian and now I learning Suomi with my self.

My question is: What is my chance to find through internet work like engineer in Finland?
Last edited by mjekov on Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mago

Post by mago » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:47 am

I have experience in wastewater and (drinking) water supply. I had a couple informal chats with people from Vantaan and Espoon Vesi. They were enthusiastic at first because the work is there. However it quickly dwindled as Finnish was a requirment, and not just basic Finnish.Reports etc.. have to be written.

In the end I did get work in wastewater supply (....at the Outback Bar serving Lapin Kulta :wink: )

Bye all, I fly out on Monday!

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:09 am

Experience in ISO 9000 and 14001 and Russian could be strong point for you. But as Mago pointed out, lack of Finnish can prove a big draw back.
I wouldn't limit your search to waste water treatment if I was you.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:33 pm

Espoo is about to build a massive waste water treatment plant. They are still in the planning phase but well advanced and IIRC building will start soon (we had a protest meeting recently to stop them building the thing in Friisilä, as far as I know the site has not yet been officially announced but will be somewhere between Nöykkiö and Suurpelto). So I guess you need to find out who Espoo is dealing with and then start networking but IMO it is quite likely that there will be jobs for people with the right profile.

AFAIK, speaking Finnish is not a requirement for all the French, Poles etc who are building the nuclear power plant near Rauma. So yes, work hard on your Finnish, but don't be put off by the language requirement hurdle.

raamv

Post by raamv » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:33 pm

penelope wrote: AFAIK, speaking Finnish is not a requirement for all the French, Poles etc who are building the nuclear power plant near Rauma. So yes, work hard on your Finnish, but don't be put off by the language requirement hurdle.
Building a plant is one thing..than running it and maintaining it..

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:45 am

Yes but that is precisely the reason why I mentioned the Espoo plant. The building project will last several years (IIRC it's ten years at least before it would be operational even if they start now). It is a MEGA MEGA project the plant will be treating water not just from Espoo but also Nummela, Vihti wherever, I don't remember all the details. I do remember they couldn't build on the coast because they had done various global warming calculations concerning rises in sea level over the next 100 years or so.... (we all wondered why they didn't build it down by Nuottaniemi power station, but that is not technically feasible apparently).

Anyway, Espoo Vesi had a big job ad in Helsinki Sanomat yesterday. Maybe not specifically for that project but they are definitely expanding. And surely they will be using a ton of subcontractors during the construction.

mjekov

Post by mjekov » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

Thanks, mate.

I will increase my skills in suomi and try. Actually I'm registered in http://www.uranus.fi, and many different sites, but I don't receive any offers. My CV was seen more the 150 times without nothing. How do you think is this is a some kind of advertise ? I mean they just imitate activity ?

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:54 am

It is often said I am a cr@p project manager, and I have a job here. So if you are a cr@p engineer you must have a chance.
I am employing people on a fairly regular basis and I look at Uranus every so often, and a couple of times have contacted someone... and once employed someone!
I am not sure how many employers are looking at it, but heck, any chance of being asked for interview has to be good.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

mjekov

Post by mjekov » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:41 am

Hi,
May be I'm not right. May be its needs more time or something different.
We'll see.
Thanks

By the way, what is a cr@p engineer. :oops:

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:32 pm

Try consulting companies, they carry out international assignments in neighbouring countries, and there is also some work involved either in the home office or temporarily in the field.

One list of companies you can find in SKOL's website:
http://www.skolry.fi/in_english

mjekov

Post by mjekov » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks again!!