Terve, Part time/Virtual education

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
cooldude_1983

Post by cooldude_1983 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi,

I am software engineer working for last 3 years approx. I had been to Finland also for approx. 8 months as part of assignment near client location.

I am coming again for my next assignment in Finland for a year starting Jan 2008. I am interested in studying further in field of Computing/Software Engineering/Softwares applied to Manufacturing industry (Last one is my work area). I would like to know

1) If any universities offer Masters program in above stated fields, which can be completed while working and within a year (Or 1.5 years maximum)

2) If a masters degree is not possible, I would like to take up short duration courses like the one in below pasted link, which will be ranging from 30 to 60 credits
http://www.cs.joensuu.fi/viscos/?lang=eng

The above course is not so suitable in my case because I am already well versed with more than half of the course.

Any pointers to above said requirements ?

Kittos :)

Cheers!
~CoolDu
Image Image

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Post by raamv » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:21 pm

I really doubt whether there are any university that allows a Master's degree program which takes only 1.5 years.
Moreover, you did not state where you want to complete your degree from.
AFAIK, there are no distance learning courses offered. Mebbe I am wrong here..
Depending on where you are going to stay, you can apply to a local University( since education is free) for evening classes if they have and then once your work period is over, then you can transfer your work permit to a student one. but then that means compromising on your existing job..

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:00 pm

As the title of this thread Terve suggests, you might be interested to have this information from my Latin teacher 40 years ago. He said that, in Latin, it translates as Salve or Vale. Sorry, I didn't finish reading your problem.

zam

Post by zam » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:50 pm

Master's degrees from universities of applied sciences in the field of engineering take 1 - 2 years to complete (60 cr.). You'll need a Bachelor's degree in a suitable field of engineering and min. 3 years work experience from the field of your degree. These UAS Master's programmes have been designed to be studied along with work.

Now, the question that remains is whether there are any of those offered in English nearby the area where you'll be living... They should be available in English at least in Helsinki, Tampere, Oulu and Varkaus.