GB vs Finland (ice hockey)

Discuss sporting topics. Game announcements, sports talk and events.
Turbomac

Post by Turbomac » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 pm

Great Britain have played Finland in ice hockey twice and... Team GB won both times!!

After seeing the above fact on a history chart in a Finnish match program, I often remind this to Finns who think they are good at ice hockey. I don't care that this was probably many many years ago (30's or 50's). Apparently GB also won the World Championships & The Winter Olympics around the same time.

Anyway I was just looking for something online to show to people, cause I have now lost the Finnish match Program, so if anyone could find a link to some History Results/Stats Page, it would be very appreciated.

(by the way, I am half-Finnish / half-Brittish and support both teams, but good friendly banter is lots of fun)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:01 pm

GB won in 1936..

You say.."Apparently GB also won the World Championships & The Winter Olympics around the same time."

All Olympic Hockey Ice Hockey Tournaments between 1920 and 1968 also counted as World Championships. There was not a seperate competition until after 1968.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Hockey ... mpionships
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

Mook

Post by Mook » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:37 pm

(unfortunately) I'm told that the GB team was mostly made up of Canadians...
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:42 pm

Without consulting google, I'd say those were bunch of Canadians playing for GB.

I'd recall seeing Finland has playing against GB in Olympics, winning something like 15-1.

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:19 pm

Sinikettu's link is the right one. Yes, GB was the winner in 1936 and I've also heard that the players were mainly Canadian.

How many ice rinks are there in England now? If I remember right, a few years ago there were some three or four, mainly in London.

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:51 pm

Juha H. wrote:Sinikettu's link is the right one. Yes, GB was the winner in 1936 and I've also heard that the players were mainly Canadian.

How many ice rinks are there in England now? If I remember right, a few years ago there were some three or four, mainly in London.
Figures seem completely wrong... there are 39 or so listed at the following web page...

http://www.sportfocus.com/reguser/dynab ... umber=1159
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Icehockey was quite popular after the war in the UK (so I'm told....). Even some quite small towns were involved in the league..
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

FinnBrit

Re: GB vs Finland (ice hockey)

Post by FinnBrit » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:50 am

Hi, did you ever get the link that proved the original stat (two wins to zero for Team GB)? I'd be keen on seeing it if you did!

Thanks,
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference. He acquired his size from too much pi.