Health insurance

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
Karhu79

Health insurance

Post by Karhu79 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Hi everybody,

I have accepted my study place at Haaga-Helia.
I checked the following webpage:
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?path=2514
Also for EU citizen health insurance is a requirement for obtaining a right to reside in Finland.
In my country (Italy) we don't need any health insurance since health care is provided for free from the state.

Do I really need to have a health insurance policy that cover the cost of the medical care?

Thanks

Health insurance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:41 pm

In my country (Italy) we don't need any health insurance since health care is provided for free from the state.

Do I really need to have a health insurance policy that cover the cost of the medical care?
Well if you move to Finland, the Italian state will not take care of you of course. And Finland will not take care of your health care since you are a student and have not paid any taxes in Finland.
So yes, you will need to fix your own insurance.
[/quote]

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:47 pm

You need to ask the Italian authorities for an EU health card. It's a plastic credit card thingy sort of grey/purple colour. That is what you will need to show to get health care in Finland.

Karhu79

Post by Karhu79 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 pm

penelope wrote:You need to ask the Italian authorities for an EU health card. It's a plastic credit card thingy sort of grey/purple colour. That is what you will need to show to get health care in Finland.
I have it already. Is it enough to get a right to reside?
I used to study in Germany and that card was enough for the german authorities.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:05 pm

On it's own no.... I'm sure you need other papers too. But in theory if it worked in Germany it should work here. Not sure if there is a time limit on how long you can reside abroad on one of those things.

But I am not a student. Someone on this forum should be able to answer the question????

Karhu79

Post by Karhu79 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:00 pm

penelope wrote:On it's own no.... I'm sure you need other papers too. But in theory if it worked in Germany it should work here. Not sure if there is a time limit on how long you can reside abroad on one of those things.

But I am not a student. Someone on this forum should be able to answer the question????
Well.. I don't know it either. In Germany I showed this EU health care card and I got a private insurance card from the University. But it was maybe a benefit provided from my university.

I will call the immigration office and my university office as well to make things clear.

Thanks