Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:14 pm

very useful topic. But I have one important question.
Someone said that one have to look for the job being in Finland, inside Finland. But how can I move to Finland without residence permit?
But residence permit granted if I have a job... There's a vicious circle...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:01 am

_Traveller wrote:very useful topic. But I have one important question.
Someone said that one have to look for the job being in Finland, inside Finland. But how can I move to Finland without residence permit?
But residence permit granted if I have a job... There's a vicious circle...
To ger residence permit without family entanglements you need to have job. No job, no permit. That is unless you are EU.

It's not really that vicious. It kind of cuts amount of hopefuls who come to Finland to look for job without anything (like significant other to pay the bills) to help them through.

You just have to hope you find a company which is willing to hire you from abroad. Odds of that tend to be much worse than getting job when you are in Finland.

_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:36 am

well, what is the different between applying for job from my own country without finnish residence permit and applying for job from Finland (living in a hostel or somewhere else) without finnish residence permit too?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:16 pm

Well, in the latter case you can make the interview and get a contract. The thing is you need to prove the employer you are more employable than all the no-speak EU people and residence-permit non-EU people queuing up in front of you. Then after you got the paper in your hand you must go back home to your own country to apply still for the residence permit, and convince the UVI that there is nobody in teh EU available to do this job. Unless you think your ass is golden and you want to first to wait the 3 months for a "stupid uvi decision" and then wait another 3 months at home...

just being all positive thinking here you know...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:37 pm

According to this report learning Finnish is not enough you have to change your name to a Finnish one..A foreign name can be a liability on the Finnish labour market even if the applicant's command of Finnish is akin to a native's
http://virtual.finland.fi/stt/showartic ... up=General
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

enk

Re: Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

Post by enk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:48 am

A new website for finding jobs in the capital area:

http://www.mainiometropoli.fi/index_eng.html

Also available in Finnish and Swedish, of course :)

-enk

BobM

Post by BobM » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:18 pm

An excellent article!

If and when it is updated I would like to see some advice regarding calling up recruiters before applying for the job. There's always a phone number on job ads but is it always a good idea to call? If so, what kind of questions do recruiters want to hear which will help you to get the job? When you don't speak Finnish very well, calling is a daunting prospect and possibly painful for both sides.

r3ddr

Post by r3ddr » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 pm

Phil wrote:A couple years ago, I wrote this guide for foreigners in Finland. Two years later, I re-read it and added/edited some content. I welcome all your comments in section below!

Requirements

Education/Experience/Expertise/Language

The four most important things to finding a job in Finland are education, experience, expertise and language. Language is the most important followed by expertise, experience and finally education (although I’m sure it is highly debatable that experience & education could be switched although I would disagree). Job “skills” is very important obviously, but I have grouped this with both education and experience.
(I should have used super bold, but it's not available :D, anyway]

being an 10y+ IT manager in an respected company but having as last degree some high school diploma in marketing or even worse can really under...line your potential when discussing anything IT related with an IT graduate (=university+)

needless to say, your rank is hard to beat given similar EDU basis

respekt

Miihkali

Post by Miihkali » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:26 am

A good introduction! However, there was one detail that stroke me as odd: I have worked as a manager in Finnish IT companies for more than 10 years, and I don't know if I have ever seen religion listed in a resume. I would definitely leave it off, unless you are applying for a clergy position.

ppoika99

Post by ppoika99 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:43 am

My wife is finnish and we're looking to move back to her homeland. I am in IT, have been for quite some time (15 years give or take). I realize that learning finnish has to be a priority, however, I live in a major city on the East Coast of the US and community colleges don't teach Finnish and Rosetta Stone (a popular learning tool used by the Foreign Service and State Dept.), doesn't offer it. How does one go about solving this puzzle? Also, a followon question. My background is in Server/helpdesk operations. Can someone reach out to me and tell me if there is a saturation of IT people in Finland in this area (in other words, would your advice be to learn programming? for example). All advice welcome, I am all years. Thank you to this forum for providing an educational experience.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:21 am

Well, the problem is the helpdesk speaks Finnish, and even then is sometimes outsourced to foreign places... server ops are doing similar movements.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shrecher

Post by shrecher » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:49 pm

ppoika99 wrote:if there is a saturation of IT people in Finland in this area (in other words, would your advice be to learn programming? for example).
IT saturated (period). "programming" is possibly something could help you to survive, next is DBA. However, I'm not sure you "programming is something that you can learn quicker than 3 years.

ppoika99

Post by ppoika99 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 am

What do you mean by survive?

shrecher

Post by shrecher » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:05 pm

ppoika99 wrote:What do you mean by survive?

According to Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary the word "survive" means
to continue to live or exist, especially after coming close to dying or being destroyed or after being in a difficult or threatening situation.
It is very clear that all IT services steadily moving to India or other cheap labor countries. It is highly probably it will be difficult time in IT in very near future. Most of the jobs such as front line support, chips manufacturing, IT infrastructure services are already don't exit here in EU or at least been reduced significantly.

Only high-end jobs still could be found here. The programming is probably the last resort for IT works. Especially strong positions are science related programming , involving complex algorithms or state-of-art tasks, business analysts work and jobs required on site persistences.

So, if you want to survive ("to continue to live or exist") as IT worker I strongly suggest you to be programmer or analyst or architect. All other IT jobs won't any longer be sufficient to have income for the live.

snaggletooth

Post by snaggletooth » Thu May 22, 2008 5:54 pm

anyway i can find what pay should be for mid-management jobs are ? :? just need to be sure i am not getting stiffed