Still Looking For Traditional Finnish Clothing....

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm still looking to buy traditional Finnish clothing sets. I've seen them at festivals so I know there are sellers out there for adults and kids.....

Anyone know of any online sources? Or stores?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Re: Still Looking For Traditional Finnish Clothing....

Post by EP » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:02 pm

You mean something like this:

http://kauppa.vuorelma.net/PublishedSer ... Groups=629

For example Helmi Vuorelma sells them. They have that vuorelma.net and also a shop in Lahti (I think).

Mook

Post by Mook » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:09 pm

You mean something like this?

---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:41 pm

That looks like the 1980s... or early 1990s. The 60s—70s “Suomi” jogging suit would be more like it:

znark

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Xochiquetzal wrote:I'm still looking to buy traditional Finnish clothing sets. I've seen them at festivals so I know there are sellers out there for adults and kids.....

Anyone know of any online sources? Or stores?

Thanks!
I think most people buy the fabric (which is made by a few textile craftsmen) and make their own costumes. I have a friend who is in a church choir in Inkoo and I know she wears full national costume when she sings (they have also toured in Sweden, Uk etc) so I will ask her when I see her at the weekend and let you know.

EP

Post by EP » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:00 pm

People make them themselves because the amount of handwork is immense, and the prices of ready made are high. Check that vuorelma.net, for example the Tuuteri dress costs 3200 € ready, and 650 € for materials only. A huge difference. The prices are what they are because EVERYTHING is hand made, wool materials are weaved by hand in looms, laces are crocheted, embroidery is all done by hand, colours come from nature, and so on. On the left hand side there is a list of different dresses, just click them. There you can also see the differences between ready dresses and do-it-yourself material packages. The materials are in the package, you don´t have to start weaving.

I have a Kaukola dress, I have had it for 40 years, and it still fits because there is enough material in the seams, I just "let it out" if I gain weight, and "take it in" when I lose it again. I don´t wear it often, though. But sometimes there is something where it can be worn. Last summer I wore it (and loved to wear it) in Estonia in Setu-people´s summer festival. It felt appropriate since Setus wear their own costumes every possible occation.

For children some dresses are more popular than others. For example Munsala dress is popular all over the country although it is from a Swedish-speaking area. People think that it looks good on little girls. Childrens dresses also have a lot of material turned inside, so when the child grows, there is always materal that can be let "down and out", so dress fits many years.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:06 pm

Aha, yes that's the one, my friend in Inkoo/Ingå has the Munsala dress though I think her hat is different, maybe more like a bonnet that ties under the chin. Not sure, I have only seen her wearing it once. I think the choir is a Swedish-speaking (singing) one so that would explain maybe why they wear that dress.

Why is there so much black and red? Not colours I would usually associate with Finland (maybe Karelia???) Perhaps that is why the Mansala dress is so popular... it is mostly blue and white (and yellow).

Mook

Post by Mook » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:That looks like the 1980s... or early 1990s. The 60s—70s “Suomi” jogging suit would be more like it:

Na. How many of those do you see around? Nope, the Tuulipuku is definitely the national dress...
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

RA

Post by RA » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:09 pm

I think they have some of those make-your-own national costume courses at the kansalaisopisto or kansanopisto. A lot of costumes are kept in the family and handed down from generation to generation. Mine was originally my husband's great-aunt's.

Oh.. you may also want to contact the Kalevala Womens' Association Under jäsenyhdistykset you can find the chapter closest to you. At least the one in Kuopio has organised showings of national dress etc on several occasions and so I bet they can lead you in the right direction.
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:36 am

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the replies and leads!

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:06 pm

Xochiquetzal wrote:Thanks everyone! I appreciate the replies and leads!
unless you want to buy them, you should be able to rent them for the special occasion. (ie, thinking you want to take photos..)
Get in there...

raumagal

Post by raumagal » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:56 pm

You might try huuto.net under "kansallispuku". I saw they had several different types of traditional outfits for kids and adults too.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:32 pm

I asked my choir friend and she said she got her outfit from this place:

Föreningen Brage i Helsingfors r.f.
Kaserngatan 28 (Kasarminkatu in Finnish)
00130 Helsingfors

Tel: 09-636 513
[email protected]

http://www.brage.fi

It is a Swedish speaking traditional folk singing/dancing group. I don't think they actually sell ready-made outfits but they can order them (or something like that, she wasn't sure). Her skirt is in the Espoo fabric which is mostly blue/yellow I think with a white blouse and a blue waistcoat. Like this:

Xochiquetzal

Post by Xochiquetzal » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:29 am

Thank you, Penelope.

enk

Post by enk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Came across this (http://www.kolumbus.fi/seurasaarisaatio ... spuvut.htm)
when trying to find out what time the Easter bonfire's going to be. Apparently they rent the following dresses
for girls:

Häme, Jurva, Keski-Karjala, Kirkkonummi, Kokkola, Kymenlaakso and Munsala.

Doesn't have anything about the size of the dresses, but the rental fee for adults is pretty darn cheap!

-enk