Finnish for the visually inclined

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Fergal Walsh

Post by Fergal Walsh » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:47 pm

Hi

A few days ago I posted a query on the jobs section and got some very good feedback, so I thought I'd ask another......
:lol:
Learning Finnish for me is proving very difficult (mostly as I'm not living in Finland at the moment) :( I've tried books and tapes etc but nothing seems to stick in the memory banks :x . As a very visual person I tend to gain better understanding from actually seeing something happening before my eyes. Does anybody know of a Finnish language series like a DVD or something that has both pictures and sounds???

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ace

Post by Ace » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:52 pm

Supisuomea is being shown on TV here in finland on sundays at 12pm ish. (And wednesdays too i've been told). I dont think they have released the DVD's/vids yet. But they have a forum here

Probably not much use to you at the moment but when the vids come out you could probably order them from abroad :!:

Aha I guess this is relevant:
Kurssin oppimateriaalit
Supisuomea on suomen kielen ja kulttuurin monimediakurssi ulkomaalaisille aikuisopiskelijoille. Kurssimateriaaliin kuuluu verkkosivujen lisäksi 12-osainen tv-sarja (lisätietoja in English and en français) ja Supisuomea-oppikirja sekä äänite. Niitä myyvät kirjakaupat sekä kustantaja. Vuoden 2004 alusta tv-sarja on ostettavissa VHS:nä ja DVD:nä YLE Shopista ja opetuskäyttöön Tallennemyynnistä.

moi

language

Post by moi » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:56 am

Hi,
i found a CD program called Languages of the World. It has 101 languages in all and you doenload the languages you want to learn. There are games, dialog even voice recognition where your speaking is graded via a meter. I hope you can find it where you are.
Moi moi

martinsloan

Post by martinsloan » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:59 pm

Hi guys,
I've tried a few learning aids, by far the best is the Promentor "From start to Finnish" it gives what it calls a basic introduction to Finnish, though I find it very comprehensive and easy to use. The main drawback about this course is that it is very expensive over €150.00
Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
MMS

martinsloan

Post by martinsloan » Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:24 pm

Hi Sparks1061,
I borrowed the CD & book from the local library in Tampere Finland, so if your in Finland you could try your local library.
If you are not in Finland you have to contact Promentor at +358-9-2517 2545 or [email protected] to order this CD.
A word of warning, looking at their site it appears you have to by their basic Promentor programme first at 307,40€ plus the finnish language course at 205€ making a total of 512,40€ :evil: . Now while I think the course is good, I'm borrowing it for free from the Library, I'd be hard pressed to justify spending 512.40 € on this progam.
MMS

Fergal Walsh

Post by Fergal Walsh » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:06 pm

[quote="martinsloan"]Hi Sparks1061,
I borrowed the CD & book from the local library in Tampere Finland, so if your in Finland you could try your local library.

Hi Martinsloan. How long are you allowed to take a loan out from a Finnish Library???? reason I ask is that I go to Helsinki every two weeks and could get a friend who lives there to take the CDand book out but I am unsure if they will let me keep it for two weeks at a time....

martinsloan

Post by martinsloan » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:52 pm

In Tampere the loan period is four weeks, i would imagine it'd be the same in Helsinki, so you should be ok. However the CD is quite popular so you may have to get your friend to reserve the CD and wait up to 2 months for the CD, or it may well be available on the shelf. Best of luck.

PS don't forget to return the CD :D
MMS

markw

Post by markw » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:52 pm

I too watched that SUPISUOMEA but after watching 3 episodes i found it reallt quite bad.Mainly because when they are trying to explain on how to use words, and add on's they was actually explaining it in finnish.

Now iam no fast learner, just ask the wife.But i have taped the whole series anyway.

Anyway terve....good luck
Last edited by markw on Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:16 pm

markw wrote: The finnish language is not an easy language to learn but as some finn's have told me you have to keep trying.Most of them say i should learn swedish, but i want to learn the mother tongue of the country of where i live.
Swedish is accepted as the mother tongue of this country, isn't it? :wink:

markw

Post by markw » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:56 pm

Yes swedish is used .But i want to learn finnish.

I know some words in swedish,but not a lot.

markw

Post by markw » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:00 pm

What i meant was is that the swedish language is used, but it's not the the mother tongue of finland.

The mother tongue of finland, is finnish.
Last edited by markw on Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

markw

Post by markw » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 pm

What i meant was is that the swedish language is used, but it's not the the mother tongue of finland.

The mother tongue of finland, is finnish.
Last edited by markw on Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark_2me

Post by Mark_2me » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:03 am

Hi Fergal
Im assuming your from Ireland !. Anyway are you thinking about moving over in the next 2 months and from what Ive seen its going to been hell to get somewhere to live so if you are moving we might be able to put our heads together ?.

Cheers
Mark Twomey

[email protected]

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:25 am

markw wrote:What i meant was is that the swedish language is used, but it's not the the mother tongue of finland.
Ahem.

Language Act
(423/2003)
The following is enacted in accordance with the decision of Parliament:
Chapter 1 — General provisions
Section 1 — National languages
The national languages of Finland are Finnish and Swedish.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.