Mokkula

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Rosamunda

Mokkula

Post by Rosamunda » Mon May 26, 2008 12:25 pm

DNA is offering the Mokkula at 9,80 €/kk 384 k/bits.

Any good? Is this enough for me to read emails, browse the forum when at the mökki. Is there a catch?
Last edited by Rosamunda on Mon May 26, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mokkula

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tiwaz

Re: Mokkulan

Post by Tiwaz » Mon May 26, 2008 12:46 pm

Generally catch is that they give you as transfer rate at optimum conditions.

Optimum being 3G network with good signal from local cell etc.
Your cottage is unlikely to be anywhere near 3G network so your transfer rate goes down a lot.

For simple tasks which do not have time limitations it should work fine. But would never choose one of those as main network access.

This is assuming there is no other payments except monthly cost involved. Don't know since I have cable at locations where I spend most of my time.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon May 26, 2008 12:53 pm

penelope wrote:DNA is offering the Mokkulan at 9,80 €/kk 384 k/bits.
Any good? Is this enough for me to read emails, browse the forum when at the mökki. Is there a catch?
According to some reports I’ve seen people have been a bit disappointed about the speed. You will usually get lower speeds than the advertised maximum – sometimes much lower – depending on where you are located and how many people are using similar devices while connected to the same base station. Otherwise, I guess it works – I have no personal experience.

BTW, that silly marketing name is mokkula. You can basically call any smallish (handheld) technical gadget/device (especially those whose operation principle or purpose you don’t really fully understand!) with the generic name mokkula in Finnish (compare to words like “gadget”, “widget”, “thingamajic”, “contrivance”, etc. in English) but somehow, DNA’s marketing department has decided to steal this generic name for their own purposes and use it as if it was a product name of some sort... (probably because they drew a blank in their brainstorming sessions and could not come up with any compact, decent new marketing name for their product on their own. )

In tech-speak these devices are called HSPA or HDSPA modems. The most prominent manufacturer seems to be Huawei. (DNA’s gadgets are or at least have known to been manufactured by Huawei.)
znark

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon May 26, 2008 1:10 pm

As said, speed is in optimal conditions.

Same way my 8/1Mb connection rarely gives me 8Mb download speed no matter who much I try to whip my computer to get stuff.

Top speed is only achievable inside 3G (third generation) phone network areas which are limited to most city centers. Rest of Finland is limited to second generation network which uses different technologies and is thus much more limited in speed.

meplusthree

Post by meplusthree » Mon May 26, 2008 1:40 pm

This biggest catch is that the idyllic techno free sanctuary of the Mokki is shattered by the intrusion of the internet.

So fishing with the kids, chopping wood, grilling sausages etc will be replaced by:-

just got check my e.mail, just got to chat with my friends, just got to finish this online game:-

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon May 26, 2008 2:24 pm

Usually we don't stay in the mökki all through summer but this year we will. The main reason I need internet access is to be able to get in touch with my parents who are in the UK and in their 80s. They don't have broadband at home, so we are unlikely to be sending each other photos etc, just a daily email or two. It will be much cheaper than using my mobile to call them. My mother can speak for 2 hours without taking a breath, given the chance.

3G shouldn't be a problem as my SO uses his phone there all the time for emailing ( :evil: ) and I have also used it for browsing football results on a few occasions! But he will be at work while we are at the mökki, so we can't rely on his phone. The mökki is less than a km from the coast (Pohja shipyards, Fiskars factories, etc) so not really remote.

I'll probably give it a go. I'm not too bothered if it is slow, it is still much cheaper than calling the UK from a mobile phone.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon May 26, 2008 2:56 pm

penelope wrote:Usually we don't stay in the mökki all through summer but this year we will. The main reason I need internet access is to be able to get in touch with my parents who are in the UK and in their 80s. They don't have broadband at home, so we are unlikely to be sending each other photos etc, just a daily email or two. It will be much cheaper than using my mobile to call them. My mother can speak for 2 hours without taking a breath, given the chance.

3G shouldn't be a problem as my SO uses his phone there all the time for emailing ( :evil: ) and I have also used it for browsing football results on a few occasions! But he will be at work while we are at the mökki, so we can't rely on his phone. The mökki is less than a km from the coast (Pohja shipyards, Fiskars factories, etc) so not really remote.

I'll probably give it a go. I'm not too bothered if it is slow, it is still much cheaper than calling the UK from a mobile phone.
Ah, but also 2G has data trasnfer. Second generation GSM has GPRS.
You will have access to that transfer speed at your cottage, but it will be far slower than 3G. But sufficient for email etc.

SGJ

Re: Mokkula

Post by SGJ » Mon May 26, 2008 2:59 pm

I know many people who have 3G Internet from various companies, and not a single one is happy with it. So I decided to order the @450 broadband (http://www.450laajakaista.fi/9102/English). A bit pricy with almost 40€ per month plus equipment, but what I read from magazines, it works as well as a true wired broadband. Hope the delivery time is not very long, made the order friday.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Never got the mokkula as DNA said it definitely would not work at the mökki.

So, has anyone else tried @450 ?

Does it work? Is it value for money?

I joined the local library in Pohja but they don't have a guest network and I also went to Tammisaari which has a wireless "biblioteknet" but I just couldn't get it to work on my laptop (even though the signal strength was excellent, I had "limited or no connectivity" so there was something weird there...)

I have an ancient mobile phone which is just not practical for doing emails (possible but just impractical)... Anyway I need a solution so I can email my folks in the UK, file the VAT returns (and occasionally browse on here :wink: ). So much for progress, I never thought it would be so difficult living beyond Keha III :lol:

(BTW was working today, so am @home in Espoo for a few hours: send/receive my mail, do the laundry, dive into Prisma, then hit route 51 AGAIN)

FIRAT

Post by FIRAT » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:55 am

Iam using DNA mokkula on laptop and it works perfectly :)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:42 am

Yes, I'm sure it does. But it all depends where you live.
DNA checked the location of our mökki on their network distribution map and told me it would not work.
My SO has tried to work from the mökki using his phone to download his mail but it's not really doable. Extremely slow and unpredictable.