Do you have to serve Finnish Army as a naturalized citizen?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
koli

Post by koli » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:37 pm

Hello,

I am eligible to appy for Finnish citizenship, but I don't know if I should already apply for it because I am 24, and I guess I would be asked by the Finnish army to do the mandatory 6 month time there:( like every Finnish male citizens. I don't know how it works for naturalized citizens. Do you guys think I should wait until I get old enough so that they wouldn't require me in the Finnish Army? Do you guys know until what age they can still take you into the army?

P.S: Nothing against serving the Finnish Army specifically, but I just don't support armies, wars etc.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Karhunkoski

Re: Do you have to serve Finnish Army as a naturalized citizen?

Post by Karhunkoski » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:50 pm

koli wrote: P.S: Nothing against serving the Finnish Army specifically, but I just don't support armies, wars etc.
A good job others boys didn't have that same attitude in 1939. Their fight gave you the luxury you have today.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Finnish army is for showing to "big bear" in east that we arent that cheap to conguer.
Its not for war nor anything like that, its for well enough defence to make attacker to rethink if attacking is good think to do.
If you dont want to be part of it then dont live in here.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:57 pm

If you, as a Finn, didn't serve in the army, it is considered as a negative point on your curriculum.
(I even heard that banks consider boys without army time a slightly higher financial risk)

roo

Post by roo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:12 pm

onkko wrote:Finnish army is for showing to "big bear" in east that we arent that cheap to conguer.
Its not for war nor anything like that, its for well enough defence to make attacker to rethink if attacking is good think to do.

Again Onkko... answer the f%&#ing question or shut the f%#4 up knob jockey! No one is interested in your racist, attacking style of commenting! If I was a Finnish I would be ashamed and embarrassed about your comments. Its people like you who give Finn's a bad name.

What are you doing on a Finland Forum site anyway?

Roo
I am here to spread the gospel of small talk!

parisdepaul

Post by parisdepaul » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:13 pm

My brother became naturalized citizen at age 28 and he had to serve the 6 month term.

EP

Post by EP » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:18 pm

I just don't support armies, wars etc.
Finnish army is called PUOLUSTUSVOIMAT (Defence Force) for a reason.

The age limit is 30, I think.

RobV

Post by RobV » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:35 pm

Hmm, so according to the above, if I were to marry my Finnish girlfriend and thus acquire Finnish citizenship; I would have to serve a 6-month term in the army?
That would make for tons of fun, as I don't speak a single sentence of Finnish right now (1 month in Finland).

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Hmm, so according to the above, if I were to marry my Finnish girlfriend and thus acquire Finnish citizenship; I would have to serve a 6-month term in the army?
That would make for tons of fun, as I don't speak a single sentence of Finnish right now (1 month in Finland).
You wouldn't be the first to not speak Finnish and do his time in the army. You would probably get sent to Ekenäs (Tammisaari) with the Swedish-speaking Finns and other "foreigners".

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:50 pm

roo wrote:
onkko wrote:Finnish army is for showing to "big bear" in east that we arent that cheap to conguer.

Again Onkko... answer the f%&#ing question or shut the f%#4 up knob jockey! No one is interested in your racist, attacking style of commenting! If I was a Finnish I would be ashamed and embarrassed about your comments. Its people like you who give Finn's a bad name.

What are you doing on a Finland Forum site anyway?

Roo
That wasnt racist or attacking, it was statement.

The FACT that service is regarded as becoming a man is not clear to you, if you dont do your time in service youre outcast, weird, there is something wrong in you. Of course no one says that because it would be illegal but that is how it is.
There is enormous pressure of culture to do service, you dont see it because you arent finnish.
Few points about service.
- Employers will look for it and if you didnt do it it will be -
- Other people will ask where you served and if you didnt do your time that will be -
- Its common subject of discussion.

Service in army is when you become an adult, if you cant do that youre worthless. Thats direct way to say how it is. Its illegal to discriminate someone because of army but that happens. My last employer said directly he wont hire anyone who hasnt be in army.

Im here to give genuine finnish opinion with explanations if needed, why you are here?

RobV

Post by RobV » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:54 pm

interleukin wrote:
You wouldn't be the first to not speak Finnish and do his time in the army. You would probably get sent to Ekenäs (Tammisaari) with the Swedish-speaking Finns and other "foreigners".
Ah, that's interesting to know. Do you know where I could read more about that?

EP

Post by EP » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:00 pm

Not necessarily. When my son served in Upinniemi there were many, many "foreigners". I remember guys from Switzerland, Brazil, Morocco, Germany... Even a girl from Cyprus. Some had come on purpose to improve (or learn like the Swiss guy who knew 0 Finnish) their Finnish.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Theres thread going where usa/uk based people are talking about their service, starting soon :)
I think there is no problem if you speak atleast english. Finnish will be kicked in you ;)

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Not necessarily. When my son served in Upinniemi there were many, many "foreigners". I remember guys from Switzerland, Brazil, Morocco, Germany... Even a girl from Cyprus. Some had come on purpose to improve (or learn like the Swiss guy who knew 0 Finnish) their Finnish.
Ok, I am sure that is correct, maybe my info is outdated. My boyfriend is Swedish-speaking, and when he did his military service (more than ten years ago), Tammisaari is where they sent the Swedish-speakers (especially those whose Finnish was terrible) and any other foreigner. This was not a place to improve ones Finnish, people went to Finnish-speaking brigades to do that.

To the OP: If you do the military service, you may be able to influence where you go (I do not know how that works, though), depending on if your secondary goal is to have a crash-course in Finnish or not.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:13 pm

onkko wrote: I think there is no problem if you speak atleast english. Finnish will be kicked in you ;)
Äh, its not the legion d'etrageres you know.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.