Music in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Jukka Aho

Re: Music in Finland

Post by Jukka Aho » Wed May 07, 2008 2:49 pm

Just to resurrect this old thread [1]: While doing a web search, I stumbled upon Pekka Gronow’s article How to be Finnish (in popular music), which explains pretty well how the Finnish popular music scene came to be the way it is today. Some of the other articles on that site, such as Tero Valkonen’s A beginner’s guide to Finnish rock, might be worth reading as well.
_____
[1] There is also another major older thread on Finnish music here.

znark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

elisouli

Post by elisouli » Fri May 09, 2008 1:08 am

YUP - Tämän kylän likat:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zmwMnH8Fdc0

CMX - Minun sydämeni on särkynyt:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MamGSqtpins
Last edited by elisouli on Sat May 31, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elisouli

Post by elisouli » Wed May 28, 2008 5:36 am

Zen Café - Todella kaunis

22-Pistepirkko - Birdy

Husky Rescue - Summertime Cowboy

Johnny_Peebucks

Re:

Post by Johnny_Peebucks » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:27 am

otyikondo wrote:
Penny wrote:unelmia = dreams

If a band had the name "Creeping Flesh of Satans Scrotum" or even something similar, I doubt I would listen to them.
But Children of Bodom is alright?

Three kids get knifed to death in a tent and they never find the culprit (well, not quite, anyway).

I'm at a loss, I'm afraid.

But then I tend to think most of the bands in that branch are crap, so I probably transfer the feelings to their daft names.

It's also sad that Finland lists among its "big events" of the summer the return of artists like Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath, both well past their creative sell-by dates (and don't get me wrong, I headbanged to Paranoid with the best of them on its release, saw the original Motorhead, Pink Fairies [now there's a name], and Hawkwind on countless drug-fuelled occasions), or even worse, The Shadows.

That Finland can do no better than gather "comeback tours" by geriatric artists who should really be living quietly off their royalties and have done nothing meaningful for 20 years is a suggestion we have not moved very far forward.
Maybe bands like Maiden and Sabbath are still exotic here and maybe, just maybe, those bands have been around for so long that they are now legendary and people wanna see them...the fact is Finland has only recently produced bands of nay kind of worth (still crap in my opinion)...I'm sure those bands will be doing the geriatric tours when their time is right....oh....Did I forget to say 2 words - Hanoi and Rocks......

The best Finnish band I can think of is Kakka-hatta 77.....and Nazi Death Camp..... :D
Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other !"#¤% you ain't never heard of!

jelle

Post by jelle » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:38 pm

people who don't particularly like metal or hardrock (you know, like, everybody with some musical taste), finland has a lot to offer as well.

Personally i like what Fonal is doing. Paavoharju, Islaja, Es, Tv-Resistori are pretty good bands that at least have some originality to them. Risto is also on Fonal and he is definitely fun to watch live.

Other finnish music to check out is the backcatalogue of Love records from the seventies or Danny ( i am not kidding, that guy ruled in the sixties and seventies!)

Or kakkahätä77. that's some good !"#¤%... :wink:

mag30

Post by mag30 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:28 pm

my favoris Finnish band : Nightwish
Apocalytpica
Moonsorrow
Children Of Bodom
Indica

Mook

Post by Mook » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:17 pm

---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Monavan

Post by Monavan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:22 pm

I only know finnish métal bands for the moment (sorry my english is approximate...I'm french), I like Nightwish,Turmion Katilöt,Norther,Apocalyptica...
I know too Finntroll and Korpiklanni but I don't like folk,pagan or viking metal.
I know recently Sonata Arctica,Stratovarius and Moonsorrow.

But I'd like to know the others musics of Finland. I think this forum can help me^^...

ChaoticShelly

Post by ChaoticShelly » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm a huge fan of Finnish music (metal) myself, Anything from CoB, Nightwish, Norther, Finntroll, Apocalyptica, (some) HIM, Korpiklaani etc. Even went to few concert of these bands around Europe. And loved it. Actually my most liked Finnish band at the moment is CMX. They are awesome, though I don't understand the lyrics yet :)

priki

Post by priki » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:44 pm

ChaoticShelly wrote:Actually my most liked Finnish band at the moment is CMX. They are awesome, though I don't understand the lyrics yet :)
Wow! :o
CMX is my favourite band, it is nice that non-Finnish-speaking people like it, too. :D
Btw, their lyrics are so complicated, that I don't usually even try to understand the meanings. :mrgreen: My knowledge about mythology and such is not very good.. E.g. the smoking mirrors in Talvikuningas, I had never heard of such things..

Pursuivant

Re: Re:

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Johnny_Peebucks wrote:[the fact is Finland has only recently produced bands of nay kind of worth

of course then if you look at Danny's contemporaries...

but usually bands that sang only in Finnish didn't break through... 1980's was so... traumatizing

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Wigut & Pressa... :shock: well how about these then...

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 pm

proge from the 1970's is underrated. :wink:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

ChaoticShelly

Post by ChaoticShelly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:47 pm

priki wrote:
ChaoticShelly wrote:Actually my most liked Finnish band at the moment is CMX. They are awesome, though I don't understand the lyrics yet :)
Wow! :o
CMX is my favourite band, it is nice that non-Finnish-speaking people like it, too. :D
Btw, their lyrics are so complicated, that I don't usually even try to understand the meanings. :mrgreen: My knowledge about mythology and such is not very good.. E.g. the smoking mirrors in Talvikuningas, I had never heard of such things..
I thank my friend Alex for introducing them to me. He even sent me one of their CD's that I love so much!!!

Gogo

Post by Gogo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:55 pm

PMMP are good. Not usually my cup of tea, but I can't help but like them.
I wish you were here tonight with me to see the northern lights...