What happens when a foreigner marries another foreigner?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:18 am

Hi,

While I was reading the info pages on residence permits to answer another thread, I saw this:
If your spouse is applying for a residence permit on the basis of marriage, you will have to present your marriage certificate. The marriage must have been registered in Finland and as a rule also in the home country of the foreign spouse.
Is it true for everyone else here who got married? Does marriage have to be registered in both countries?

So, what happens in case two foreigners from two different countries live and get married in Finland? Then does it have to be registered in three countries? Sounds like a round-the-world travel expedition to me!

Has anyone been through/planning to go through this unique situation?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:30 am

I think you need to register at that country's embassy or something.

I suppose that is sufficient , as I know that if a Finn resident abroad gets married needs to do to get registered here. They send the data here and put it into the books. Sometimes the information can 'travel' 20-30 years though, as people that move sometimes don't bother doing this, only when they apply for pension or something the data gets then updated.

However if you think of refugees - they surely do not necessarily want to go to their 'own country' nor the embassy, so I do think this requirement applies to non-resident foreigners only :?

Someone with too much time might go to a magistrate and ask, the registrars are usually quite willing to explain this. The magic person is 'henkikirjoittaja' (the person who 'writes the lives') Definitely a good entry to be put into the FAQ - once we get one properly done.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Olga

We made this way

Post by Olga » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:13 pm

Before applying to Maistraati (we decided to make a civil marriage first), both of us got papers from our embassies that confirmed our "single" marital status. So embassies could suspect something :)

After the marriage in Maistraati (oh, these wonderful two minutes of the ceremony!) each of us brought the marriage certificate to the corresponding embassies. To my husband they issued his home country marriage certificate on a basis of the Finnish one, but I didn't get anything.

neil

Post by neil » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:05 am

Phil can give some info on this...
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:33 am

neil wrote:Phil can give some info on this...
Well, this situation is a bit different between Anja (Finnish) and I (American) got married in the United States. Then when I was applying for a Finnish VISA, I sent my application along with the marriage certificate to the Finnish Embassy in the states - they then forwarded it to Finland and 3 months later.....got my A5 VISA.