Doctorate in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:29 pm

:D
Last edited by Nathan Lillie on Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:44 pm

Samppa wrote:Update:

After being trying to contact some of the Finnish univs via email for about 3 months I give up :roll:

My conclusions:
1. Finns either don't use email services or don't know using computers at all.
2. Finnish univs are secured by armed guards with dogs and surrounded by mine-fields military zones. Nobody can get in, nobody can get out.
3. Finns are aliens from other universe.

Correct me if I'm wrong :roll:
1 wrong
2 No, surrounded by swamps.
3. perhaps you are right

4. Many university professors are still in their winter sleep. Try the second of May, you may find one who is still drunk and accepts you.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:53 pm

Sorry, I can't be too negative today, so I skip a lot of text.

I don't write about this.

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:53 pm

After being trying to contact some of the Finnish univs via email for about 3 months I give up :roll:

My conclusions:
1. Finns either don't use email services or don't know using computers at all.
2. Finnish univs are secured by armed guards with dogs and surrounded by mine-fields military zones. Nobody can get in, nobody can get out.
3. Finns are aliens from other universe.

Correct me if I'm wrong :roll:
And they wonder why Finland has one of the lowest proportions of foreign experts in the EU.
:roll:
See 3rd from last paragraph of this HS Int'l article:
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20040115IE4
<snip>
According to Immel, the fact that only one per cent of the people working as experts in research and development in Finland are foreigners is an indicator of the difficulty of persuading foreign experts to work in Finland. In other EU member-states, about four per cent of all R&D experts are foreigners.
</snip>
Last edited by Andrew_S on Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:01 pm

You mean the first paragraph, it looks to me like there are only three paragraphs, or am I being very dim?

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:18 pm

I added the paragraph to my post. The rest is mostly about Finns going abroad.
Image Image

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:37 am

Andrew_S wrote: And they wonder why Finland has one of the lowest proportions of foreign experts in the EU.
:roll:
See 3rd from last paragraph of this HS Int'l article:
http://www.helsinki-hs.net/news.asp?id=20040115IE4
<snip>
According to Immel, the fact that only one per cent of the people working as experts in research and development in Finland are foreigners is an indicator of the difficulty of persuading foreign experts to work in Finland. In other EU member-states, about four per cent of all R&D experts are foreigners.
</snip>
That was an article from an union leader. He claimed that in Finland the income tax for the Finnish researchers are too high and that lowering the income tax would be benificial for Finland, since the Finnish researchers would stay in Finland. Perhaps, a Finnish researcher may go for a few years to another country, and give then some added value to the Finnish research when he returns to Finland.

Then at the end: see, there are so few foreign researchers in Finland, so please, reduce the tax for the Finnish researchers. That's what the union is aiming at.

I think politicians in Finland will think (keksi keksimällä) of many reasons why researchers don't want to come to Finland, but the reactions in this forum are pretty obvious:

A foreign researcher comes to Finland if his/her partner is Finnish and usually takes into account a lower salary and less career possibilities.

(I can't say anything about the quality of the research , because it differs from area to area. In some fields Finnish research is really good.
In others it's just above the level of the basic school (kansankoulu)).

Bux

Post by Bux » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:32 pm

I think they want you to apply for postgraduate studies instead of sending e-mails straight to profs

for HUT:
http://kva.tkk.fi/en/In/postgraduate.html

and univ. of helsinki
http://www.helsinki.fi/admissions/science.htm (scroll down to section for postgraduate students)

have you already read these?

Not sure which lab or department would teach your field, but here are some wild shots...

http://www.sahko.hut.fi/english/laboratories.html
http://www.lce.hut.fi
http://atomi.hut.fi
http://www.hut.fi/Units/Electron/

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:00 pm

Hmmm....

From here: http://www.helsinki.fi/admissions/science.htm
...Before submitting their application, applicants for postgraduate studies are requested to directly contact the department where they wish to study...
Directly contacted. Many times in fact. Nothing. And I mean absolute nothing. Silence.
G.S.

Make war with love

deeplymauritius

Post by deeplymauritius » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:04 pm

well.... dunno about that. In my experiences so far, I have found the nice people at Jyvaskyla to be very helpful via email. I emailed a request for info to their international office and got an application form and information brochure within a week!! I also got an email from there asking whether I had received the stuff, which I thought was prettey cool. They also provided me with contact names in the deptartments I was interested in. These have proven to be a bit more elusive when it comes to replying. Though working at a university in England myself, I can appreciate that enquiries in Oct/November or just after New yr can be put back a bit!

Finns are aliens, however (in a very adorable way of course :D
The world was once so nice and shiny then Sh*t happened

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:11 am

Could you, please, give me the email address you were contacting? :roll:
G.S.

Make war with love

deeplymauritius

Post by deeplymauritius » Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:24 pm

the address I used is for a nice lady called Elinna and her email is

[email protected]

Have youn tried checking out the international student pages on the Uni websites - Jyvaskyla etc.???

:)
The world was once so nice and shiny then Sh*t happened

DAL

Post by DAL » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:28 pm

I ran into the same problem while looking for a sponsor/advisor for my upcoming Fulbright Scholarship application. I independently e-mailed people in Finland regarding their research and how my research may be beneficial to them; I got absolutely no response. I finally got in touch with several researchers by contacting a Swedish speaking Finn at my university who has very loose ties with Finland. Once I was able to drop his name, so to speak, the replies were immediate, and now I am in the position of being able to choose where I want to go. My point here is that if you can back door your e-mails, much like the hiring process, you will more than likely have a greater response rate. I would also be willing to say that there are Finns living outside of Finland, and Israel, that would be able and willing to point you in the right direction, look at US Universities as well.
Dustin

I have nothing witty to say

miti

positive experience for a change

Post by miti » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:21 am

Not all universities are that bad when it comes to aswering emails and helping with information. I had very good experience with the University of Lapland in Rovaniemi and it wasn't just one nice person who made the whole difference. I studied there 4 years ago (Arctic Studies Program) and they were answering question etc. very quick right from the start.
Yesterday I sent an amail to the Faculty of Art and Design and I got the answer already this morning. They were really friendly and helpful.
I guess that for most of you the thought about going to study in Rovaniemi isn't an option, but still I just wanted it to be on the record that sometimes everything DOES functions like it actually should. :D

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:57 pm

deeplymauritius wrote:the address I used is for a nice lady called Elinna and her email is

[email protected]
Indeed, they reply. Kiitos :wink:
G.S.

Make war with love