Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
interleukin

Re: Studying in Finland - ***** READ THIS FIRST *****

Post by interleukin » Fri May 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi guys.
I am Vietnamese. I would like to ask something about Universities of Applied Science in Finland. Actually they are polytechnics, right? Are Finnish polytechnics of much lower quality than universities? And can students graduating from UAS get good jobs? I have been accepted by a Japanese university and am waiting for result from Vaasa UAS. If I am accepted by Vaasa too, it is difficult for me to choose where to go. :? Can you please give me some advice? I am stuck. :beamer: Thank you in advance.
No one else can decide this for you, but I can give you some information to consider.
In Finland, you will have an extremely hard time finding any extra jobs to finance your rent/food during your studies. I do not know how easy this is in Japan.
You will probably be too busy studying to learn much Finnish, and this will be a severe problem when you want to find a job in Finland after graduation. Your best hope is to learn as much Finnish as you can during your studies (it takes a lot of work!), and get as big a social and business network as possible during your studies. Then you can hopefully use some of your contacts to get a job after graduation. But this will be a very hard thing. I do not know how easy it is to get a job in Japan.

A third thing to consider is that although the studies in Finland are free (well "free" as in paid by the tax-payers), the living costs in Finland may be higher than what you are used to. Also, you need to show proof of quite a lot of money to get a student visa. So you have to make sure you have money to pay for food while you are studying!

Having said all this, I have to add that Finland is a fantastic country and that the educational system in Finland is of very high quality. If you want a big adventure and a chance to meet a completely different culture, come to Finland.

Good luck whichever you decide,
interleukin

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri May 30, 2008 1:08 pm

Which Japanese one? I think they're tougher academically? Then again theres other aspects maybe... culture & distance to home for a visit or seeing other countrymen - though theres a few Vietnamese here too... and some people then do it for the adventure to find out something different which I think is something that is commendable. Then finances - do you expect to find a job and what your expenses will be etc. etc. etc. but it depends on what you then plan to do - and where - if you are going to pursue a career and where, and which school would be more "known" and all kinds of things. Vaasa isn't a bad place, but being a small town in a sparsely populated country there is a saturation level on the job market. All kinds of things you need to get into consideration there as well.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

luybeo

Post by luybeo » Sat May 31, 2008 3:26 am

Thank you all for your helpful advice.
I know that it is not easy to find a job in Finland. Neither it is in Japan. I also need to acquire much Japanese before I can get a good part-time one during my study (My subjects at the university are instructed in English). But I guess getting jobs after graduation in Japan is not as tough as it is in Finland. Many Japanese firms operate in Vietnam and I can work either in Japan or in my home country.
@ Hank: Yes, studying in Japan seems to be academically tougher. And some say that the Japanese speak English terribly. (Sorry if there is any Japanese here.)
Maybe choosing Finland is a big challenge for me. But I really love Finland. I always wish to study in an European country. What can I do now?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat May 31, 2008 10:50 am

Well, its the "learn language" thing here too. But as you have figured out your options and are aware of them, you can then weigh the other aspects. Then think also if you are going to stay mainly in Asia careerwise, not that many chances to then do wild things like go to Finland when you are older (one thing I regret when I was studying I didn't go with the China project we had)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Mihaela

Post by Mihaela » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi all!
I am Mihaela and I am Bulgarian (this sounds like in a therapy group).
I will apply for a Master's in Jyväskylä for 2009-2011.
I am studying already the language and I think that I will know some when I come ( I hope to know a lot ;) ).
As I am getting a degree in French here for both teaching and translating and I also speak couple of other languages, I was wondering if it would be possible to work as a part-time, freelance translator or part-time teacher to support the studies? And also how much is the cost of living for a month if you cook and don't spend much on other things. And last but not least, is it possible for my husband to find any work as an IT engineer with English , because if it is possible, I may not need to work?
Thanks for all replies!!! :moon:

DraculcuCoarne

Post by DraculcuCoarne » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:10 pm

Hei Mihaela!
is it the educational leadership master? maybe we get to be colleagues :wink:
wish you all the best,
Mira.
I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.

Mihaela

Post by Mihaela » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Hei!
Yes! That's the one:)))
Wish you luck ! :D

DraculcuCoarne

Post by DraculcuCoarne » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:16 pm

well..if it is for my Finnish family's will i will surely end up at Helsinki University :lol:
i have studied before in Finland namely in Kuopio and i needed almost 600 euros per month (now depends on how much you spend :D ) but i had a scholarship so i needen't pay for an apartment as i was given one by them. so i am not sure about how much is a place to stay.
our fellow Hank can surely tell you more. :D
I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.

festrel

Post by festrel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:55 am

Hi,

I am an MBA HR aspirant i wanted to know what are the best univesities to apply for the mentioned course.
what are the chances of the market to provide a job for me after mba hr

are there part time jobs available while i complete my mba ??

what are the mba criterias other than IELTS for a good university .

thanks .

oicor_ms

Post by oicor_ms » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:01 pm

hi, I'm a spanish student (20 years old, female) and I've just registered in Finland forum
I'm looking for housing during 2008-2009 course, and I'm very interested in finding a room cause I'll be in helsinki from next 19th of August.
I've a budget of 300 € a month.
Could you help me?
Thanks,
Rocío Moreno

chio

Post by chio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:37 am

:D
Last edited by chio on Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

chio

Post by chio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:38 am

Hey
I'm Rocío and I'm from Chile, and I really want to go to study to Finland, and in all the things that I have read I think that t's not that bad, over here I pay almost 3000 euros a year and besides that I have to pay for a room and the food and I can't find a job ...and the education ain't so good, I mean I love my country, but right now we have several educational issues so I'm looking where I can go, and I have this weird fascination with Finland for a long time.

Any way I want to know about design schools in Finland, universities, and all about designe over there.

Hope you can help me.

everestbear

Post by everestbear » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Hank W. wrote:.................. And Mustang is in Tibet.
Mustang is part of Nepal. one can see it in Nepal's map. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_(kingdom)

sinikettu

Post by sinikettu » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:14 am

I thought that this idea would not be long in coming..take and pass entrance exam in applicants own country before visa is given.

http://www.yle.fi/news/left/id102308.html

600 applications from Nigeria this year.. Most are to provincial polytechnics trying to attract foreign students to shore up declining attendance.

The Ministry of Education agrees that there have been problems with such foreign students. It is now considering whether entrance exams could be held in Nigeria, which would make it clearer which applicants are genuinely interested in coming here to study.
People do not become more irritable as they grow old - they simply stop making the effort to avoid annoying others.

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:36 am

sinikettu wrote:I thought that this idea would not be long in coming..take and pass entrance exam in applicants own country before visa is given.
Some higher education institutions have already done this... I mean, arranged exams abroad... in China, for example. Not sure if any have been arranged in Nigeria yet. It's not been that 'systematic'. On the whole I do think this would be a good idea, bearing also in mind that students travelling to Finland to take an entrance exam can usually only do so on a "tourist" visa... and in principle they are obliged to return to their home country to apply for a student residence permit, if the exam has been successful & they are admitted. So it would also mean "saved expenses" for students - travelling to and fro is not cheap either. Oh well... we'll see what this leads to...