Calling the Irish in Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:37 pm

I thought you culchies felt home in the bottle-throwing places in the East?

Actually, whiskey is getting cheaper in March :mrgreen:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dino

Post by dino » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:47 pm

why is whiskey cheaper in March ? what about the beer ?

Another culchie answering the call... been over here on and off for 2 and half years.... no blond :( just a good hourly rate from Nokia.

not much interest in scoccer, except when Everton beat liverpool, Man U or Arsenal... hence not much interest!!

Did get to see the Rugby World Cup final in a bar next to the main train station... It was in French ( Canel+ ).... that looks like the best option for getting to see some of the six nations.

cheers
Brian

Ivan

Post by Ivan » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:38 am

Conas atá tú? :D

Another Irish on board here! I have lived in Helsinki for one year and like you I hope to move back again in April. On condition that I get a job..however..thats the difficult part. Its proving quite difficult but I am sure something will come up. Accomodation should not be much of a problem but can be quite pricey! I had student accommodation when I lived there and it worked out at 230 euro a month which was excellent...cheaper than what I am paying at the mo in Eire (but thats Rip-off Ireland for ya :( )

As for the Guinness you get a good pint in Mollys & O'Malleys (O'Malleys is more like the real Irish bar...Mollys is a bit touristy...but ok now and then) But there is so many other great bars in Helsinki...that i tended not to hang out in the Irish ones that often.
Ivan
"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies"

Mark_2me

Post by Mark_2me » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:29 am

Hey Ivan
Yeh just from looking around Ive figured out the rent is going to be pretty steep. I wont be earning big bucks when I get there cause Im doing a start up but will be able to afford 400 a month anyway, obviously the cheaper the better !. If you can get something by April we could talk about maybe sharing a place cause no chance I`ll get something decent on my own. I guess Im your typical Irish head, likes pints, women and sport that involves drinking beer while watching it !. Ive actually got a friend ( Finnish ) who is heading to Aus for a year and offered me his place, from what I remember it was quite decent.... 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room etc... and he is looking for 550 a month for it which is quite good I reckon. Dont ask me where it is but I remember it wasnt that far a drive from the centre.
Also let me know what you do work wise as Im in the recruitment business and thats what I`ll be doing when I get there so maybe I can help.

Cheers
Mark

[email protected]

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:48 pm

Ah, they're changing the alcohol tax here this spring. The cue is as Finns drink vodka and cheap Estonian rotgut is waiting to pour over the border, the alcohol tax will be cut more in the strong stuff. So for a bottle of whiskey at 30 it might be 20 afterwards. We shall see.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Ivan

Post by Ivan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:03 pm

Mark

Cool yeah should keep in touch never know we could both end up needing a place at the same time. That Apt for 550 a month sounds pretty good especially if its close to the center. I know another Irish guy has a two bedroom apt, living room, kitchen, sauna the works...he is paying about 800 a month. Its 10mins from the city centre by train so not bad really. So all in all that Apt for 550 sounds pretty good!

I am a Business/IT student so will be looking for work in that area. Anyhow keep me posted. [email protected]

Take it easy.
Ivan
"I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies"