lookjng for pastry/baking classes in helsinki

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Ray

Post by Ray » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:40 pm

In just 2 months of moving to Helsinki from SEA, I've developed a fondness for Finnish bread and pastries (sinful cream-filled ones!) Am very keen to attend pastry/baking classes in English in Helsinki- cant seem to locate anything online except for the Perho culinary school but from the site, i get the sense it is a vocational /hopitality institute for people keen to be in the restaurant/hospitality-related business. Anyone knows of any other pastry schools or private baking classes? Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: lookjng for pastry/baking classes in helsinki

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 am

Ray wrote:Anyone knows of any other pastry schools or private baking classes? Thanks
Marttaliitto (The Martha Organization) arranges courses in various “home economics” topics – among them, baking courses.

Their local branch in Uusimaa regionUudenmaan Martat ry – has arranged a baking course just this month. Their course timetable does not (yet) reveal what courses they will do next year, but perhaps you could ask them.

They also seem to have a selection of courses they will arrange for larger groups by request. See here for a rough Google translation (my favorite must be the “eat goatee container” course!) Not sure if they can arrange teaching in English, though.
znark

EP

Post by EP » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:36 pm

I've developed a fondness for Finnish bread and pastries (sinful cream-filled ones!)
Hei, you are supposed to eat those cream-filled ones only in February! They are Shrove Tuesday (Shrove Sunday) buns.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:34 pm

EP wrote:
I've developed a fondness for Finnish bread and pastries (sinful cream-filled ones!)
Hei, you are supposed to eat those cream-filled ones only in February! They are Shrove Tuesday (Shrove Sunday) buns.
When I was in army there were many other pastries with cream filling at sotilaskoti available year-round.
http://www.sotilaskotiliitto.fi/
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:
Ray wrote:Anyone knows of any other pastry schools or private baking classes? Thanks
Marttaliitto (The Martha Organization) arranges courses in various “home economics” topics – among them, baking courses.

Their local branch in Uusimaa regionUudenmaan Martat ry – has arranged a baking course just this month. Their course timetable does not (yet) reveal what courses they will do next year, but perhaps you could ask them.

They also seem to have a selection of courses they will arrange for larger groups by request. See here for a rough Google translation (my favorite must be the “eat goatee container” course!) Not sure if they can arrange teaching in English, though.
A friend of mine and i met with one of the Martat chefs last year and she said they don't usually conduct cooking lessons in English, but they will run a course for you for a fee. I think the maximum number of people you could have in your groups was about 12 and you split the cost between everybody who comes along. We thought about having a class dedicated to Finnish Christmas cooking, and they were happy to oblige, but i think the cost came to around 25 euros per person and some people thought that was very expensive. You could call them and arrange a meeting to see what kinds of pastry instruction they could give, and then get a group together to split the costs. I don't think the cost would be so high if you did pastry cooking because the cost of the ingredients would be lower. If you did decide to arrange something like this, i'd certainly be interested in coming along.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Yes, me too.... as long as it is a weekend or an evening.

Ray

Post by Ray » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:09 pm

cool, many thanks everyone, i will check them out and keep those out there interested in the loop.

EP

Post by EP » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:54 pm

the cost came to around 25 euros per person and some people thought that was very expensive
Expensive? Certainly not. You got to eat what you made I suppose. That is the same price all those Työväenopisto cooking courses cost. They are 25-30 euros.

Just if someone is interested: There was a cooking course in English last spring in Espoo´s Työväenopisto: African Cooking, taught by an originally Zimbabvean home economics teacher. Maybe it will be also in 2009 program.

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:44 pm

EP wrote:Expensive? Certainly not. You got to eat what you made I suppose. That is the same price all those Työväenopisto cooking courses cost. They are 25-30 euros.
I COMPLETELY agree - some people have no idea ...
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

Clairew

Post by Clairew » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:39 pm

I would also be interested in attending so please keep me posted with the details!

MissAlice

Post by MissAlice » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:52 pm

Did you guys ever do those classes you were talking about on here.
Twinkle twinkle little bat...

jessesuomi

Post by jessesuomi » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 pm

I may be able to help a bit in the coming months. From PDX so even our English would mtach up. Been living here 8 years, work in the restaurant business and have taught here in Finland.

PM me and we can see about what you are looking for exactly!
Jesse

Cloudberry

Post by Cloudberry » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm

I'd be interested too! Maybe you can reply here when you arrange something and/or make a fresh post about the upcoming cooking/baking class. I'm sure it would be a popular event!
The person on top of the mountain didn't just fall there.

jessesuomi

Post by jessesuomi » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 pm

I sent them a PM about being able to teach some but never heard back. So not sure if they are serious about it or?

We see.

Lemmor

Post by Lemmor » Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 pm

I am a Chef working here in Helsinki. I can help you with pastry and bread making for free as long as you provide all the ingredients needed and I assume you have a well-equiped kitchen. Feel free to email me - [email protected] :)