Starbucks in Finland!?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
heidisivonen

Starbucks in Finland!?

Post by heidisivonen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:00 am

Is this true? My friend told me it is going to be in Alppila, Helsinki.
Last edited by heidisivonen on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starbucks in Finland!?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

flyingyellowpig

Re: Starbucks in Finland!?

Post by flyingyellowpig » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:57 am

In Alpilla,I doubt about it.I don't see any place where they can open it in here(Alpilla).By the way why do we(me) need a Starbucks in Finland? So many better cafeteria's in then Starbucks.Apart from that we have too many Mcdonalds,Wendy's Coffee and so on...If I want a great coffee I go to Cafe Java
Last edited by flyingyellowpig on Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
A men without knowledges of his past and history.It's like a tree without branches.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:26 pm

Is this true?
Well...

the image name is sb_finland_comingsoon.jpg :D

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:05 pm

voi ristus
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

heidisivonen

Post by heidisivonen » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:36 am

So, what is so great about SB?

They sell coffee. I to this date has not seen anything specially good in their coffee. Rather, in many cases it has been bad, most likely because it is made to fit local preference.

So why is this chain treated in what in my opinion approaches religious worship?

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:46 am

Tiwaz wrote:So, what is so great about SB?

They sell coffee. I to this date has not seen anything specially good in their coffee. Rather, in many cases it has been bad, most likely because it is made to fit local preference.

So why is this chain treated in what in my opinion approaches religious worship?
I think they're well known because of good marketing, but most people i know can't stand starbucks coffee - the flavour of the actual coffee is so weak you can hardly taste it and by the time they've added all the extra flavourings and syrups there's hardly a coffee flavour to be found at all. I've had a couple of really good coffees in America, but not from a franchise.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:03 am

I agree, Starbucks coffee is weak and tasteless.. Now if Pret a Manger was coming to Finland then I would be happy :)

flyingyellowpig

Post by flyingyellowpig » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:14 am

Now we agree with something.Pret a Manger it will be nice to have in Finland ,I have eat stuff from them dozen of time in London.I like them a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pret_a_Manger
A men without knowledges of his past and history.It's like a tree without branches.

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:30 am

Tiwaz wrote:So why is this chain treated in what in my opinion approaches religious worship?
We've got spammers on this forum now and then, shoving Molex watches and Rike basketball shoes in our faces... I think it is for somewhat similar, although not exactly the same reasons. The monkeys as we are, we crave for branded products. Some more, some less. (A branded product may of course be a good one, but it bears little significance actually...)

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:47 am

and we have roberts and coffee house already there competing in the niche for the "conscientious" crowd, even they won't compete with "esson paari" and "industrial strength saludo" thst is probably related with motor oil
Last edited by Pursuivant on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:58 am

The other thread about coffee price comparisons reminds me of a certain thread, months back, of a student asking for Finnish coffee drinking habits... wasn't it?
sammy wrote:
Tiwaz wrote:So why is this chain treated in what in my opinion approaches religious worship?
We've got spammers on this forum now and then, shoving Molex watches and Rike basketball shoes in our faces... I think it is for somewhat similar, although not exactly the same reasons. The monkeys as we are, we crave for branded products. Some more, some less. (A branded product may of course be a good one, but it bears little significance actually...)
Can't be just that, there must be something else in the mix bc many of these folks are well aware of branding and mass marketing techniques and they still preach the gospel.
Perhaps because coffee is an acquired taste? That explains why so many finns still drink this think they call coffee :twisted:

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:08 pm

ajdias wrote:Can't be just that, there must be something else in the mix bc many of these folks are well aware of branding and mass marketing techniques and they still preach the gospel.
Perhaps because coffee is an acquired taste? That explains why so many finns still drink this think they call coffee :twisted:
Of course it's not just that, but I'd still say it plays a major role. And even if people are conscious/aware of something, it doesn't make them immune to it... the thing is IMO branding and mass marketing techniques, while relatively "new" inventions as such, would not be at all successful unless they were essentially based on old, atavistic human needs to belong to some group (real or perceived), to be a follower, to minimise "the agony of choice". When you buy X, You Know What You Get.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Def. not, you~re absolutely right Sammy. But people would not go out of their way to preach the gospel if they didn~t perceive the product as being above average. Never tried one but it can't be that bad.

catfish78

Post by catfish78 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:25 pm

I enjoy Starbucks coffee. I pretty much had at least one coffee a day for 3 yrs from them back in the states. Granted I never ordered one of those "snob" coffees. Just a redeye for me, thanks. My folks ship me over two types of coffee beans, Starbucks and my favorite Dunkin Donuts. You think Starbucks enjoys a cult following, go to New England, you can't throw a rock with our hitting a DD.
I think it is all about your tastes, I don't particularly enjoy Robert's coffee. Just not my taste preference.
**** that and **** you