Just got back from Finland and..........

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
funkipig

Post by funkipig » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:23 am

Spent 2 weeks in a spa hotel in kuopio and some time at family kesamoki....I have to say it took nearly a week to stop thinking and calm down etc.....after a bit longer i actually became brain dead to an extent, very strange feeling indeed. I dont necessarily think thats a bad thing as alot of what i think is nonsense anyway.
checked out properties in Kuopio(not cheap).
I decided id go out alone to a club/pub (6 euroes pint) to see what people are like socially, i found people very open especially the women!
I had ranging opinions from "why do i want to live in hell?" to "Finland is great for the children!"
I cant say much about what is real in Finland as i think if you dont fully understand the language you cant have a valid opinion of culture and people except a shallow one.
I think it would be a great challenge to live in Finland. Taking on something new like this may be a breath of fresh air ie....learning winter sports and the language etc......
anyway am back now so i have started to think again sadly. Richard

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:45 pm

Move to Finland Richard! As for the children, I think it is a good country. Not only the education is here has a high level, but it is far more quiet and peaceful than London. Do the big step forward! Join us! :twisted:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Just got back from Finland and..........

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:54 am

funkipig wrote: checked out properties in Kuopio(not cheap).
Ah, simple solution to that:
1. visit Helsinki to check out properties
2. redefine "cheap"
:mrgreen:

Though yes, it is true that in Kuopio centre the new buildings prices *are* high. However, you can get a new 95m2 in the centre in Kuopio for 230.000 while same size in Lauttasaari runs just below 400.000...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Deman

Post by Deman » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:30 am

2. redefine "cheap"
Exactly.

Do you own you own place already? As an Irishman, I find Finnish properties not so expensive. But then again, Ireland is now the most expensive country in €uroland.

Donald

Post by Donald » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:11 am

Move to Salo! Low 100's for 95MSg :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Deman

Post by Deman » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:05 am

Do you still live in Salo Donald? :?

Donald

Post by Donald » Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:50 pm

Deman wrote:Do you still live in Salo Donald? :?
Ilmajoki, but I have a rowhouse for sale there in Salo. Interested? :D I just got an offer for it today. (See annoucements, there is a sticky for a view of it) :wink:

Punainen Ruusu

Post by Punainen Ruusu » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:41 am

I agree that Finland is indeed great for kids!!! If i would be a kid, i would feel wonderful in Finland! So much nature! Playing in the woods, swimming in the lakes. In summertime playing outside long in the evenings! In wintertime playing in the snow! The criminality rate is very low in Finland. When i lived in Finland, i felt really safe there. People are so kind and honest there. I once forgot my buscard on the bus and a teenager, looking like a real punkerboy, gave it back to me the next morning. Be sure that - if you move - you have a job in Finland. Without job, life can be very hard there (financially).

amayer

Post by amayer » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:52 am

I just got back from a week in Helsinki as well, and one of the things that really struck me (aside from the darkness... whew, you all weren't kidding!) was how well-behaved the children were there. No spastic outbreaks in restaurants, no whiiiiining in the grocery stores (no, I don't understand much Finnish, but whining transends all languages). Just happy, well-adjusted little people.

Gosh... paid maternity leave, good day care, quality education... maybe it *does* make a difference.....

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:02 am

amayer wrote:I just got back from a week in Helsinki as well, and one of the things that really struck me (aside from the darkness... whew, you all weren't kidding!) was how well-behaved the children were there. No spastic outbreaks in restaurants, no whiiiiining in the grocery stores (no, I don't understand much Finnish, but whining transends all languages). Just happy, well-adjusted little people.

Gosh... paid maternity leave, good day care, quality education... maybe it *does* make a difference.....

Maybe you weren't in Finland long enough to witness any problems. I used to teach English to little blighters in various schools and kindergartens in Helsinki, and I happened to get many of the classes with children with serious behavior problems, so it isn't all rosy.
I don't think maternity leave, day care, and the quality of education makes any difference. I think that Finnish schools as well as Finnish parents simply teach order, discipline, and self- control rather than self-expression and creativity. Somehow children here seem to learn to obey their parents no matter what from a very early age, and it seems good from the outside, but then when they grow up they have trouble getting in touch with their feelings. Have you seen the Helsingin Sanomat article about the guy teaching anger-management workshops?
You've seen the kids in public, how do you know what they are like at home? :wink:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.