Music in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Vampyre Romance

Re: Music in Finland

Post by Vampyre Romance » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:04 am

Any big HIM fans out here?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:25 pm

Sadly yes....But thankfully most are under the age of 15 so never cross my path.
Black Flag kills ants on contact

nerakrose

Post by nerakrose » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Bubba Elvis XIV wrote:Sadly yes....But thankfully most are under the age of 15 so never cross my path.
Well said :lol: I remember my own HIM infatuation dying when I reached the 15 or so... :roll:
Image Image

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:17 am

nerakrose wrote:
Bubba Elvis XIV wrote:Sadly yes....But thankfully most are under the age of 15 so never cross my path.
Well said :lol: I remember my own HIM infatuation dying when I reached the 15 or so... :roll:
We all have bad times! :lol:

FLSouthernLady

Post by FLSouthernLady » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:43 am

Well I will admit I am a huge HIM fan :) But I am not limited to only HIM when it comes to Finnish music. I also enjoy Negative, Nightwish, The Rasmus, The 69 Eyes and Hanoi Rocks. They are also the reason I became interested in Finland as well. I have done alot of research on Finland, and have found it to be very fascinating. I love the culture and the country there, you live in a beautiful and historically rich place. I can't wait to visit and see it all for myself!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain. -Unknown

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:00 am

FLSouthernLady wrote:I also enjoy Negative, The Rasmus.
You're 15?

What is it GHS

"The term is related to "Goth Helsinki Syndrome" where usually a young teenage female heavy metal fan wishing to learn the Finnish language and to move to Helsinki to catch a glimpse of some Finnish heavy metal music scene dignitaries."

onkko

Post by onkko » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:54 pm

If you understand finnish you should look also Klamydia, they say how things are with rude way :)

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm

:ochesey:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:31 am

everyone likes Klamydia...

FLSouthernLady

Post by FLSouthernLady » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:53 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Bubba, but I am a bit older than 15. I am open to any other bands you might like to suggest though, I'm always in search of good music...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain. -Unknown

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:21 pm

FLSouthernLady wrote:Sorry to disappoint you Bubba, but I am a bit older than 15. I am open to any other bands you might like to suggest though, I'm always in search of good music...
Ooooohhh...You don't wanna do that.

FLSouthernLady

Post by FLSouthernLady » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 pm

And praytell Bubba, why don't I want to do that? If you have any suggestions for other bands you think I should check out, I am willing to look into them. I cannot promise that I will like them, but I will at least give them a listen. Where is the harm in that?

Jarkko

Post by Jarkko » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:06 pm

I havnt seen Waltari mentioned yet

They have been around nearly for ever

They have done the deathmetal thing.One epic deathmetal album featuring Tarja Turunens haunting voice, and now there into somekind of punk/techno/metal mix.Interesting music

Osbi

Post by Osbi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Jarkko wrote:I havnt seen Waltari mentioned yet

They have been around nearly for ever

They have done the deathmetal thing.One epic deathmetal album featuring Tarja Turunens haunting voice, and now there into somekind of punk/techno/metal mix.Interesting music
Indeed. Captivating (read: unusual) live band, too. I first heard of them for their Amorphis affiliations (guitarist Tomi sang backing vox on 'Yeah! Yeah! Die! Die!'), then saw them over a decade later here in Helsinki. Not what I'd normally listen to, but totally worth watching them again. http://www.ladyenslain.net/gallery/inde ... 0Helsinki/ <--- the singer is a real trip!
¤¤ krispi ¤¤

Grayson

Post by Grayson » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 am

So, Nightwish fans of the board - where do you stand on the "Anette vs. Tarja" debate?

I'd say I prefer Tarja, but it's hardly a fair comparison in a way. Tarja has several Nightwish albums under her belt, whereas Anette has only one at the moment.

Plus, compare "Angels Fall First" to "Once." The former had some "good" songs, the latter had some SPECTACULAR songs. Tuomas has been writing music for a long time now, BUT it's been music suitable for Tarja's style of singing, not Anette's. I imagine (hope) that spectacular will be the norm as he gets more used to what works best with Anette's style.

(But I still hold out the slim hope that Tarja will return - but I don't want Anette to leave either. Nightwish got better IMO when they added Marco to some vocals, so I wonder what Tuomas could do with THREE vocalists???)

I liked The Poet and the Pendulum, Bye Bye Beautiful, Amaranth, but I think Americans really missed out by not having 'The Escapist' on the first album.

Non-Anette related stuff, Last of the Wilds was great and I LOVED hearing Marco do a "slow song" in The Islander. :ochesey: It was great as an oddity, but stood on it's own as a great song too.