Another Electrical Power Question

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
TOMPPA

Post by TOMPPA » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:39 am

Hi,

I'm moving over in July and am planning to stuff our jeep with as much stuff as possible and drive through Europe.

I've searched previous posts but can only find info. for people asking about using US electrical gear in Finland. Sorry if I missed this one and It's previously posted 1000s of times.

I hope to bring 2 smallish TVs and a computer with me and possibly a microwave. Is it easy enough to get these to work in Finland or am I wasting my time bringing them over and should flog them and get some more when I arrive ?

Thanks for any help

Tom

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:37 am

Just saw - Guernsey...

Most stuff will work, TV will not have sound, nor will video, but both will play what you have recorded. Tapes and dvds will work fine in stuff youbuy over here.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:12 am

Guernsey is on 240V righ? Save the space for something of value. Computer is OK, if its a new one, you can buy a new plug end (or get a power cable) so no need to even do a clippy for it . TV's are waste of space (unless USA small = 72-inch plasma screen). Well - there is the thing that the UK sound is on a different decoding so you'll get some funky results. Nukes you can buy for 50 euros so give that to granny to dry her cat in, again unless its a brand new one...
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:18 am

OK I see Hank W. is on his second cup of coffee!

The TVs won't work in Finland correctly so you'd need to buy a video recorder or use cable to receive a proper signal. I'd get rid of them before you come and buy something new when you arrive. Other than that the only other thing you'll need is a few adapters.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:35 am

Depending if they're going back to the UK or not. The UK stadard 3-prong hugh jazz plug+adapter will rip off the wall (depending if its new/old sockets.) Easier to clip the end off and put an euro standard schuko.
Cheers, Hank W.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:37 am

The reason for the problem with TVs is that sound and video are transmitted on two seperate frequencies.

There are two PAL TV standards, SICAM in France and NTSC in USA.

In UK there is PAL 1, In the Nordic region it is PAL 2.

The seperartion between the sound and video in UK is not the same as in Finland...so you will find that you either get sound and no picture or vice versa.
You can play your old VCRs...but not watch Finnish TV..big deal.. :wink:
Wait tell you get here and see what is on offer :roll: ..why buy a TV and pay for the licence to watch Salatut Elamat!??? :roll: :roll:

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:47 am

sparks1061 wrote:
PeterF wrote:The reason for the problem with TVs is that sound and video are transmitted on two seperate frequencies.

There are two PAL TV standards, SICAM in France and NTSC in USA.

In UK there is PAL 1, In the Nordic region it is PAL 2.

The seperartion between the sound and video in UK is not the same as in Finland...so you will find that you either get sound and no picture or vice versa.
You can play your old VCRs...but not watch Finnish TV..big deal.. :wink:
Wait tell you get here and see what is on offer :roll: ..why buy a TV and pay for the licence to watch Salatut Elamat!??? :roll: :roll:
I use a UK spec TV and Video and have no problems with getting picture and sound!

Magic..??? No explanation unless it is a special dual PAL standard TV..
It is quite clear in the PAL standards UK and Finland are not the same.

Anyone else managed to get a UK purchased TV to wórk here.?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:55 am

sparks1061 wrote: All that extra size just so they can incorporate 1 poxy safety device! A Fuse!!!!
Well, considering the plumbing goes on the outside walls in the UK, I am not surprised the elecrical systems are Victorian era as well so you need such circuit breakers on plugs. I have a fusebox in the wall (ancient, with those scrrewable porcellain things) but I haven't had any problems with anything ever due to electricity - even during the blackout last year...
Cheers, Hank W.

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:55 am

PeterF wrote:Anyone else managed to get a UK purchased TV to work here?
A friend had one in Sweden. The only way it worked though was to connect the antenna to a VCR that was purchased in Sweden. Without the use of cable, this is maybe the same installation that sparks1061 is using.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:07 am

Errr... last time I checked all my appliances have a fuse right next to the power cord?
Cheers, Hank W.

RM

Post by RM » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:09 am

There are in fact 14 different types or specifications for the PAL system. Seven or eight are in common use around the world. In Finland PAL B and PAL G are used with the sound carrier offset of 5.5 MHz. The UK uses PAL I with a 6 MHz offset so that is why there is no sound on a UK tv in Finland. Quite a number of newer tvs have the possibility to automatically switch between systems, this will be stated in the specifications and normally indicated on the manufacturer's label on the back of the tv. My Philips tv has for instance: PAL 4.43 (B, G, D, H, I, N), PAL 3.58 (M, N), SECAM. So it will work in the UK, Finland and even in France with SECAM.
hth.