residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
miti

residence permit

Post by miti » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:44 am

Hei everyone.

Full title should have actually been

residence permit for a non-EU citizen who is married to an EU-citizen who is not a Finn. :shock:

I joined the forum only a few days ago and this is my first post, so before I drop my somewhat complicated question - just wanted to say it was a really nice surprise to discover the forum here. I was very positively impressed and can't wait for the time I'll actually be living in Finland and will have other topics than residence permits ect. to discuss with you.

I think you can understand my question from the title. I am Israeli, my boyfiend is half German half French, and we both want to move permanently to Finland - the sooner the better.
I lived in Finland (Rovaniemi) for one year during 2000/2001 - as an exchange student. I fell in love with Finland, and luckily my boyfriend (soon to be husband) got 'infected' with Finland as well, and now we both plan to move to Finland, hopefully this year (it all depends on whether he finds a job or not).

I did try to do my homework and use the 'search' possibilty as well as reading the information on the UVI pages, but not surprisingly no one is refering to a case like ours. They mention the possibility of a non-EU citizen getting a permit if the spouce lives in Finland, but as we both plan to move there the same time I wasn't sure if it applies to us as well.

Asking the Finnish embassy where we now live is ofcourse the next step, but first I thought I'd try to see if any of you knows something about it.
Thanks!

Miti.

residence permit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:41 am

Marry a finn and your problems are solved :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:53 am

Ah, the infection is easily solved. Thake a shot of taxation and you'll be just fine. :mrgreen:

OK, so you are married. That is good. No stupid questions then. 2nd do you now reside in the EU or in IL? If yes, good, if not, a bit worse. OK, your hubby can come here for the 3 months to find work. You come here as a tourist. As you have read:

UVI says: in the residence for EU:

Family members
The members of an employee’s family have the right
to reside in Finland.
Family members include
- a spouse or cohabitant
- a child under 21 years of age or dependent on parents’
care
- parents of the worker and his/her spouse if the parents
are dependent on the worker’s care.
A registered relationship between two persons of the
same sex is considered equal to marriage.
The following must be produced for the residence permit:
- valid passport or identity card
- certificate of kinship, and
- photograph.
If the family member is dependent on the care of an
employee residing in Finland, he/she must provide a
certificate to that effect issued by authorities in the
person’s home country. A family member may also be
asked to provide a report on health.
The family member is granted a residence permit for
the same period as the employee. The residence permit
is granted by the police authorities of the place of
residence.
The spouse or cohabitant and children of an EU/EEA
citizen have the right to work in Finland without a work
permit.
If the spouse or other family members of an EU/EEA
citizen are required to have a visa in Finland they must
obtain it before entering the country. The residence
permit is granted in Finland. No work permit is required.

So you are tourist, he is looking for work.

Check with the embassy though for necessary forms & documents.
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

miti

Post by miti » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:56 am

pierrot wrote:Marry a finn and your problems are solved :wink:

Thought about it. Even dated a Finn once. But this French-German guy was the sweetest :rose: :lol:

Miti.

miti

Post by miti » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:28 am

Hank W. wrote: 2nd do you now reside in the EU or in IL? If yes, good, if not, a bit worse. OK, your hubby can come here for the 3 months to find work. You come here as a tourist. .
Hei Hank,

thanks. What you wrote doesn't look so bad at all. We both live in Germany at the moment, so we will be coming from within the EU.

We will be going to Finland in two weeks for a short visit just to check from close the job chances (and car prices :!: ).

In case we find something, there will be a post coming from me with loads of loads of smilies (but we do try to keep our hopes low, knowing that it is not that easy to get a job nowadays in Finland, and definitely not within one week).

Miti.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:51 am

Bringing a car that you have owned more than 6 months as a move item would be the thing to do. Otherwise importing an used car is wise only if it is a MB or BMW... bringing a Polo costs you in taxes 2x what it costs in Germany. The tax is not calculated from the price there, but from the price of a similar car here...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.