Starbucks in Finland!?

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
singeroi

Re: Starbucks in Finland!?

Post by singeroi » Mon May 04, 2009 12:49 pm

I like pret a manager better wish we have them here.. im a sandwhich and cofee fan! :)
pret personnel

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm

singeroi wrote:I like pret a manager better wish we have them here.. im a sandwhich and cofee fan! :)
pret personnel
Pret a Manger not manager.

Most of them are in the UK, New York and Hong Kong. Seems like a Starbucks clone to me.

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Mon May 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Pret started off with just a few shops in London with the emphasis on fresh, preservative free food made on the premises daily, and at the end of the day all the un-sold food is given to homeless charities, so they seemed like their heart is in the right place - shame they sold part of their chain to MacDonalds a while back so they could expand abroad! - still, unlike Starbucks though, the coffee is great and their food really is delicious.. I'd LOVE it if they came to Helsinki anyway!

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon May 04, 2009 5:05 pm

carolinemaher wrote:Pret started off with just a few shops in London with the emphasis on fresh, preservative free food made on the premises daily, and at the end of the day all the un-sold food is given to homeless charities, so they seemed like their heart is in the right place - shame they sold part of their chain to MacDonalds a while back so they could expand abroad! - still, unlike Starbucks though, the coffee is great and their food really is delicious.. I'd LOVE it if they came to Helsinki anyway!
Having never heard of them (I don't get to London all that often) until I read an article about them on a plane a couple of years ago (I think the owners had just sold the company for a huge pile of filthy lucre), I had no opinion either way.

But last December, desperate for something to eat and a sit down we popped into the Pret in the middle of Oxford, (there weren't many alternatives). It was about 4 in the afternoon and they had almost nothing left to eat. I suppose it's easy to say you give unsold food to charity when you sell out of almost everything 2 hours before closing time.

Me, I couldn't discern any difference between Pret / Starbucks / Roberts / Häagen Dazs or any other coffee shop chain I've been in, they are all seem the same to me; a slightly upmarket version of McDonalds. Which is not a bad thing, I just don't see much difference.
Last edited by sinikala on Mon May 04, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Mon May 04, 2009 5:15 pm

That's probably because they close at 5! You can't tell the difference between Pret and MacDonlads food? how bizarre! and everyone is a snob who goes in one of the coffee shops, yawn! What were you doing going in one then?Anyway, at the end of the day I'm just saying I'd like a Pret in Helsinki, no need to get your knickers in a twist.

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon May 04, 2009 5:24 pm

carolinemaher wrote:That's probably because they close at 5! You can't tell the difference between Pret and MacDonlads food? how bizarre! and everyone is a snob who goes in one of the coffee shops, yawn! What were you doing going in one then?Anyway, at the end of the day I'm just saying I'd like a Pret in Helsinki, no need to get your knickers in a twist.
The concept is the same as McDonalds, not the food. I couldn't say anything about the Pret food, could I ... they'd run out.

Meh.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 am

Whats that other one in the UK...Necros or something...
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu May 07, 2009 11:12 am

I remember having a snack in Pret a Manger in Heathrow a while ago and the sandwiches were really very good. I don't think the prices were outrageously expensive either (relatively speaking, it was Heathrow...). They don't do burgers and fries and things like that. I guess Subway is like MacDo (fast food, processed, industrially produced). IMO there is a BIG difference between Subway and Pret.

But I gave up drinking posh coffee, fruities and smoothies in town yonks ago. It's such a rip off...

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Thu May 07, 2009 11:19 am

I never drink those fancy pants coffees...WTF is a mochachino-frappe-latte anyway?

I guess I'm not sophisticated enough to drink coffee in those places.

Oh, and thanks for your music recommendation [email protected] guess I am also just not cool enough to like that dirge like crap.

I will confess I do go to Necros when back home cos my vegan-anarchist punk friend likes to use his bonus/loyalty piece of scrap paper ( :roll: ) and i am a sucker for their cake selection.

carolinemaher

Post by carolinemaher » Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 am

Maybe you mean Cafe Nero? I like that too, they do great sandwiches the hot meatball/mozzarella panini is delish, mmm..

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 pm

It's Necros to us.... :wink:

Argentiinalainen

Post by Argentiinalainen » Sat May 09, 2009 11:24 pm

i wish I go to Suomi soon so I have GREAT coffee!

onkko

Post by onkko » Sat May 09, 2009 11:26 pm

Argentiinalainen wrote:i wish I go to Suomi soon so I have GREAT coffee!
Great compared on what? i think we have good coffee but someone e.g. usa may think differently. there is no great coffee there is different tastes and habits.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Sat May 09, 2009 11:46 pm

Finnish coffee is good. And better than the instant crap we drink in the UK and thank god you drink coffee here and not tea (yes, yes yes...how can you not like tea and be English? I don't like football much either).

Then I went to portugal....and was that coffee good or what?!?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun May 10, 2009 12:24 am

Dunno, my experience of London fine eating was I found a nice tea house tucked between an Iceland and some hairdresser on the high street in Wolfhamstow was it.. don't remember if they had coffee, but it was filled with old geezers eating beans and toast so I opted for that. Didn't see much anything green on the menu tho... :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."