Finnish Immigration Service question forum 19.5.2009

Public announcements and notices. Also find information on special offers and discounts.
jounisaarelainen

Post by jounisaarelainen » Mon May 11, 2009 8:26 am

Why is it so difficult to get residence and work permits?
Why does reuniting families take so long?
Why is a passport not granted?

Do you have issues or questions about the permit policies? Come to ask and discuss the topic with workers from the Finnish Immigration Service at

Finnish Immigration Service question forum on
Tuesday 19.5.2009 at 16.30-18.30
at the International Cultural Centre Caisa (http://www.caisa.fi)
(Mikonkatu 17 C / Vuorikatu 14 / Kaisaniemi metro station)

FREE ENTRY!
Places for the first 170 only!

Notice: Only Finnish language will be used during the event. Take a Finnish speaking friend with you if needed!

Event organizers:
Berde ry, Irakin Työllistämisyhdistys ry, Monika-Naiset liitto ry, Helsinki’s Immigrants Information Point and Suomen Mielenterveysseura’s OVI-project in co-operation with the Finnish immigration Service.

More information:
http://hankkeet.mielenterveysseura.fi/ovi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Finnish Immigration Service question forum 19.5.2009

Post by rinso » Mon May 11, 2009 2:33 pm

Why is it so difficult to get residence and work permits?
Why does reuniting families take so long?
Why is a passport not granted?
Because the people dealing with foreigners are only willing to speak Finnish.
Notice: Only Finnish language will be used during the event
It just shows the lack of respect.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Mon May 11, 2009 5:59 pm

They have got to be joking, right?

Only in Finnish language.. :oops: :oops: I'm embarrassed for them

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm

This is such a joke! I wonder how much government money was spent on this little project - probably a bucket load.

I've sent the OP a pm with my opinion on this, hopefully in enough time for them to make a change before they make complete idiots of themselves.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon May 11, 2009 7:22 pm

What do you guys want to know about passports (finnish?) and family reunions?
Seems to me that the target are not the usual people that go around this forum, mostly people that are coming as (economical) refugees and to most of whom would be of little help if english was the language of the event.

Perhaps would be more useful if you guys put forward your needs and could persuade Caisa to arrange a presentation in English around your needs. I mean, if English was the language, how many of you would show up questioning about family reunion and such?
:roll:

andres

Post by andres » Mon May 11, 2009 8:25 pm

please organisers for every ones sake that has read this in english , please better you do presentations in english , otherwise you are not helping anyone but your selves.

Kupcake

Post by Kupcake » Mon May 11, 2009 9:59 pm

ajdias wrote:What do you guys want to know about passports (finnish?) and family reunions?
Seems to me that the target are not the usual people that go around this forum, mostly people that are coming as (economical) refugees and to most of whom would be of little help if english was the language of the event.

Perhaps would be more useful if you guys put forward your needs and could persuade Caisa to arrange a presentation in English around your needs. I mean, if English was the language, how many of you would show up questioning about family reunion and such?
:roll:
Nobody is suggesting that the event should be held in English. And obviously none of us need the help. We are simply highlighting the fact that an event like this would be a joke if it were to be held in Finnish as it's highly unlikely that any immigrants (especially refugees) will be able to understand. If the presentation is in Finnish, only the presenters will benefit, which is of no benefit at all really.

If it is an event for immigrants, it would be of benefit if it were held several times, in several languages - hopefully they've done enough research to be able to identify which languages would be most helpful to immigrants. When i pm'd they OP i suggested several languages, or at the very least English.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

dampa

Post by dampa » Tue May 12, 2009 12:33 am

Another waste of people's time and tax money! IMHO :P

Don't tell me migri workers dont know what they are doing when they make the following possible
so difficult to get residence and work permits
reuniting families take so long
a passport not granted

have issues or questions about the permit policies
even when some cases seem to be so clearly on the positive :lol:

And does wasting time discussing with them change any of their policies? That wont still make migri screw you up when they wanna :ochesey:

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue May 12, 2009 3:45 pm

dampa wrote:
so difficult to get residence and work permits
reuniting families take so long
a passport not granted

have issues or questions about the permit policies
even when some cases seem to be so clearly on the positive :lol:

And does wasting time discussing with them change any of their policies? That wont still make migri screw you up when they wanna :ochesey:
Ah, but it might help migri save time as illegals would get the message: if A or B then permit, in other cases: no permit. Why go to get screwed by migri, if you know that you will get screwed?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Jamfiguy

Post by Jamfiguy » Sat May 23, 2009 11:17 pm

In my opinion these Immigration people have got to be clowns..... I'm laughing my f***ing head off.... wtf?

Are they serious, how could they hold a meeting like this in Finnish? They have got to be the worst jackasses I've ever heard of. They actaully sound like they beat jackass on tv.

These ppl are unreal, how the hell will their discussion help anyone if they deliver it in Finnish? It must be for the ones who're immigrating their families to Finland and so have already learnt Finnish, but not to a student like me whose just staying here for a couple of years. So I don't count?

Gimme a beer, now I feel like drinking (like a Finn), because I must be going crazy.... lol

Jamfiguy

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Sat May 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Well you arrogant people who are native English speakers or EU-centric tend to assume that English is the perfect language and that everyone else knows it. I think it makes sense to have the meeting in Finnish, because that is at least a language that everyone has in common in the way that they are in Finland. Otherwise, you would have to have the meeting in ten different languages to make sure everyone understands everything.

Plus, the laws and rules that migri works by are written in Finnish/Swedish, and it is only information in those languages that is legally binding.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Sat May 23, 2009 11:46 pm

Obviously these are people with no experience with immigrants:
  • Event organizers:
    Berde ry, Irakin Työllistämisyhdistys ry, Monika-Naiset liitto ry, Helsinki’s Immigrants Information Point and Suomen Mielenterveysseura’s OVI-project in co-operation with the Finnish immigration Service.
surely there are things to improve and if someone from the organization reads this thread with a critical eye they'll be able to learn something. At the very least there's one thing that they are likely to do different next time... :D

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:47 pm

Cory wrote:Good for you, though, for being honest about everything
Umm, that was a spam message.

angelong

Post by angelong » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:14 pm

I wouldn't exactly call it a "privilege". Life is a privilege, man-made borders aren't!

I hold a passport of a country I have no relation with just because my parent's happened to be posted in that location for a few months around my birth, and then because they did humanitarian work and I grew up in 21 countries, I've struggled with my citizenship and that of my child for years, and have been separated from my family and baby numerous times. You can't really put the whole world and all it's people in a box in this century. It's a new world.

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." - Albert Einstein
Last edited by angelong on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

WinterSun

Post by WinterSun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 pm

angelong wrote:.... I grew up in 21 countries I've struggled with my citizenship and that of my kid for years and have been separated from my family and baby numerous times. You can't really put the whole world and all it's people in a box in this century...
[/quote]

You have been in 21 countires along with time?!? tell me a bit more about yourself. I am really curious for your life story!