AM I CRAZY FOR WANTING TO MOVE TO FINLAND/

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.

Difficulty moving to FINLAND

Extremely
17%
HARD
32%
MEDIUM
29%
EASY
7%
DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!
15%

Total votes: 59

turbodank23

Post by turbodank23 » Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:53 am

Is it me or am I crazy? I met my finnish girlfriend through a highschool exchange program A year and a half Ago we have been dating for a year now. I have been looking for quite a while about moving to espoo with her and her family and attending HAGGA BUISNESS SCHOOL. But she does not think it is good for me to move in while she is highschool does anyone agree? I kinda understand why but I to get over there as soon as possible. I just want to get my foot in the door take some finnish classes look for a job then start going to school. I love her very much and really like Helsinki i have been there 3 times and I'm going again in march then in the summer for language classses. Well what do you people think I have gotten a negative outlook on moving there but is it that BAD i mean holy $#@! some people are really pessimistic i think thats how you spell it about moving here. I am young 20 and so is she, she is 18 CRAZY? YOU TELL ME ????????? =)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.
-- Ernest Hemingway

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:44 am

Yeah, a little crazy, but we've all taking the leap and 99% of us are happy as hell that we did.

My advice: Go for it, dive in head first. It's not going to be easy but nothing in life that's worth something is easy.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:15 am

You don't have to be crazy, but it helps later on living here. And as you can see from Phil, if you are not silly when you move here, the madness creeps on you... :mrgreen:

You are 20, when you are 30 you can boast doing something your highscool mates never did, but stayed at home on the range...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:21 am

Finland grows on you... kind of like a hairy wart.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

aspiala

Post by aspiala » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:30 am

Many here moved here following a Finn and then had that relationship end. Which is as likely as it would be anywhere else, but just has slightly larger consequences when it's suddenly just you and your stuff alone in the dark and the cold. (you HAVE been here in winter too, I hope?) If you're going to move here, make sure it's for the country too, not just her.

Make sure you could be ok here on your own, develop your own network, etc. Besides, it will make things easier for her if you're more independent and not always asking her to come with you to buy flour, yogurt, or whatever, since you can't read the labels...

--Tina

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:37 am

Oh, you learn by trial and error after living a few days on piimä & viili :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Slothrop

Post by Slothrop » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:58 am

Tip: Arrive in early November if you wish to stay. You will be so full of viili and piimä and excitement at the novelty of it all for the first month you won't notice how ghastly it is until the following year when it's too late (unexpected pregnancy, job opening, re-election of chump in country of origin, other causes), and you are stuck.

If you do not wish to stay, arrive in June, enjoy summer, book return flights provisionally for November 7th.
"Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available" (Benford's Law of Controversy)

neil

Post by neil » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:02 am

Hi Dan,

Just do it. I was going to say "If it doesn't work out, you can always go home", but then there is the visa thing. So I will rephrase. "if it doesn't work out, your visa will always expire". Then you will have to go home :P

So you have everything to loose and one thing to gain. If you think the scales tip in the favour of the one thing, then do it. Most people who come here make it one way or another but it can be really hard along the way.

I say "go for it" and figure out the problems as you go. You can cook so thats a start. If her parent will put you up then what more do you need?
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:19 am

Whats this gotta do with current affairs, isn't this moving to Finland related?
Who is this dog Franks?

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:23 am

jcooper wrote:Whats this gotta do with current affairs, isn't this moving to Finland related?
Its obvious: he wants to move to finland because of his current affair with a finnish girl :ochesey:
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:29 am

aspiala wrote:Many here moved here following a Finn and then had that relationship end. Which is as likely as it would be anywhere else, but just has slightly larger consequences when it's suddenly just you and your stuff alone in the dark and the cold. (you HAVE been here in winter too, I hope?) If you're going to move here, make sure it's for the country too, not just her.

Make sure you could be ok here on your own, develop your own network, etc. Besides, it will make things easier for her if you're more independent and not always asking her to come with you to buy flour, yogurt, or whatever, since you can't read the labels...

--Tina
This is a good point. I think the most important thing you should have when coming to Finland is a solid relationship. You will eventually find a job, earn money, find a place to live, learn the language, meet friends, settle down etc....but if you're relationship is rocky, that's gonna foul everything else up.

Wombat

Post by Wombat » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:47 am

The number of couples that I know that are still together after meeting at such an early age is well... none. There's no doubting your feelings for your girlfriend but you find that as people mature, they change and sometimes the relationship is not able to cope. Be prepared for that!

I feel you're going to have a few issues with the logistics of it all. Getting a visa will be difficult. As will finding work so I think your best option for getting a visa and being able to stay would be to be accepted to study here.

I guess there's a few things necessary for 'survival' in Finland. For one I think it's essential to integrate as quickly as possible. There's a lot of differences here. Everyday things like food can have a huge impact unless you plan on eating McDonalds everyday! I remember the first time I was here the diet was completely different to what I was accustomed to and as a result I found the food extremely boring. I was living with a family at the time so I kind of had to eat what was served. I did try and help out with the shopping and the cooking (yes girls, I can cook!) and that way I was able to find things I liked. Just remember that your girlfriend's father has been sustaining a diet of makkara and mustard for a lot longer than you've been on this planet and he might not appreciate the use of exotic spices such as pepper in your cooking. Of course it's different now, I have the choice of whatever I want!

Get out and make friends early. I think this is key to your survival here and the survival of your relationship. Don't rely on your girlfriend for everything. The last few years of high school can be stressful and she'll need to study. School or work are the best places to meet new people. I've heard too many tales of others that have found Finland an awful place to live only to find out they've never really experienced any of it as their partner never took the time to show them. Discover Finland!

So of course it's something you should try. Life is all about experiences. No use hanging around regretting what you didn't do. Please bring some red licorice when you come!
Last edited by Wombat on Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

eashton

Post by eashton » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:48 am

WLM wrote:Finland grows on you... kind of like a hairy wart.
They have treatments for that sort of thing you know :)

Tom and Jerry

Re: AM I CRAZY FOR WANTING TO MOVE TO FINLAND/

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:00 pm

turbodank23 wrote:Is it me or am I crazy? ...

and attending HAGGA BUISNESS SCHOOL.

some people are really pessimistic
Yes, you are crazy. It is Haaga Business School. You have to be optimistic about moving here, to Finland.

Mai

Re: AM I CRAZY FOR WANTING TO MOVE TO FINLAND/

Post by Mai » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:09 pm

turbodank23 wrote:Is it me or am I crazy? I met my finnish girlfriend through a highschool exchange program A year and a half Ago we have been dating for a year now. I have been looking for quite a while about moving to espoo with her and her family and attending HAGGA BUISNESS SCHOOL. But she does not think it is good for me to move in while she is highschool does anyone agree?
I have to disagree with others and say, no, i don't think it is good idea to come here YET. Simply because of what you wrote there: she does not think it is good for you to move while she is in high school. If there is even small wish from her side that you should wait with moving, then i think you should wait, for sake of your relationship on the long run. If anything goes wrong she will always remind you that she thought it was bad idea to come so soon.

Also, what if you don't get in Haaga Busines College? In worst case scenario you end up being in her parents house all day long and on evening when your girlfriend comes to home she needs to study for school and doesn't have necessarily enough time for you.

However, if she changes her mind about your coming here then go for it! I think you need to have a long discussions about the subject very soon, because applying time for your school is currently on and won't last long. If you miss it you can apply again next year this time. Good luck with everything! :D