Too much to ship ...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sayx

Post by sayx » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:49 pm

20foot container was $1900.00 but i dont think they have that much stuff.

Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SediaAmore

Post by SediaAmore » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:16 am

---
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pihlaja

Post by pihlaja » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:17 am

Darren -- hello! :D Yes, I remember you! :)

For those that asked, I'm in Louisiana, wedged between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

About sedating my kitty -- No, I don't want to have her sedated. There has not been enough research performed on the affects of sedatives and high altitudes for me to be confident that Gerona (my cat) will be okay. She might be a hyper thing, but I have been working with her for her to get used to being in her travel case for long periods of time.

There are only a few flights who accept in-cabin pets, and among these are Delta, KLM, AirFrance, and KLM ... and a few others, too. I can honestly say I've called every airline known to mankind about this. :) Another thing that most airlines won't tell you but honestly prefer is that they want you to have the soft-sided pet carriers (Sherpa brand being the most popular) instead of the hard plastic ones for in-cabin pets. The reason for this is that the soft-sided carrier can mash down a little bit to fit under the seat moreso than the hard one can.

After much thought, I decided to throw away many fiction books in exchange for my gardening and animal health care books. It lessened the load by about 100 lbs.
Actually if you already have an address in Finland and are most worried about the books, there is hope. The US post office has a great rate for just books (I think it's called just book rate). You go to your local branch and pick up these giants sacks, pack all your books inside (try to waterproof them as best as you can) and then bring them back.
Thanks, Scott! I'll check into that sometime next week. And Hank, it doesn't matter if it takes them MONTHS to get there, I just want them to get there eventually. :)

DW-- No, I cannot apply for an Irish passport. I cannot even get Native American benefits. It's mainly because when my family came here (the Irish side) the Irish were shunned and therefore my family did everything in their power to hide the fact they were Irish. In effect, there probably isn't enough proof to satisfy the Irish government that I come from an Irish family. With the Native American aspect (of which I am 1/4), it's almost the same as the Irish. A (great-?)great-grandmother or some such on my father's side left her tribe and never registered with another one. The way the system works here is that, to get the benefits, you have to be with a registered tribe, of which I am not. So, I suppose, I just have to rough it. :) But I can manage, I'm sure.

Uplifting news of the day -- I'll be spending my only (one week) vacation in Finland in April. Yay! Perhaps I can do some permit research while I am there. :lol: (P.S.-- how cold is it in April? Can I get some estimates from those who live in the Espoo/Helsinki area? I hope I'm not too pressed to handle some very cold weather--it doesn't (EVER) get cold where I live! :?)
"A person starts to live when he can live outside himself." - Albert Einstein

dw

Post by dw » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:13 am

last april it was fine for the first week or two, maybe +5c, then it snowed and that stayed for another week or two.

so +0c to +10c i would imagine is the average april weather here.

dw

MinnaRaisanen

Post by MinnaRaisanen » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:44 am

I'm with sayx...I shipped a huge crate of stuff over here from Toronto and it only cost me about $300. It took a while to get here, but that didn't bother me. It was like Christmas when it finally arrived!!!! :P
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

dw

Post by dw » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:57 am

i shipped over a desktop computer that got wrecked in transit. so make sure everything is packed super super carefully. and get insurance!

dw

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:00 am

pihlaja wrote:After much thought, I decided to throw away many fiction books in exchange for my gardening
Uhhh... keep the fiction and toss the gardening. Its no use here unless it is on growing potatoes in Alaska. Most plants you find in your garden will be small weeny potted plants on a window sill. That is... if you'll have a garden.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:05 am

dw wrote:so +0c to +10c i would imagine is the average april weather here.
It depends also on how much rain. If it is dry, it can even freeze at nights, and be a blazing +20 in the daytime. One of those "don't know what to wear" times. A good scarf is always good to have, just in case you land in before the streetccleaners are out picking up the gravel, gets a bit dusty. Or it can be overcast, drizzly, +5 until the end of May. It all depends. Though, the sea is not frozen too much, so it will be open earlier than last year so that'll make some difference.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.