dialysís in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
raamv

Re: dialysís in Finland

Post by raamv » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:38 am

Allie,
Hope that he dont need to have Dilaysis for the rest of his life..
Have you followed on the Kidney replacements ?
I know its hectic with daily living..But also concentrate on long term....
MAKE sure that the salary comes in..
and that 2 months that banks give is normal.....
When it comes time to renew your "korko" or "interest", you might want to only pay interest for a year or so..but find that paper that says when your interest will be changed/reviewed in Finnish and then ask them an "Interest only" loan..
cos it helps to deduct tax..and helps with more cash on hand..( As the interest is tac deductible and will reduce your Husband's tax %):.
Also, if they dont cover that transportation on KELA or otherwise, you can try to deduct off the misc. Health expenses for your taxes..
Just so that you remember..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Amandine.K

Post by Amandine.K » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:55 am

Oh Allie you surely have it tough right now. :( Here's hoping that everything will work out for your family :)

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:50 am

Still here! Hubby getting into regular routine of CAPD dialysis at home, (http://www.renalpatients.co.uk/capd.htm if anyone is interested) 4 times in 24 hrs. he is going to get a machine to use at home, but not for another month or so. That would mean only doing dialysis once in 24 hrs, during the night. I hope I have all that right! His diet isn´t too bad, mainly NO dairy, salt, & food rich in phosphorous, but it is hard to avoid E numbers in many foods. We have recipe books in both Finnish & English, so we manage. Doctor seems pleased with his progress so far AND his blood pressure is also lowering, gradually.... I am totally exhausted, mainly as the baby had a very bad dose of vesirokko/chickenpox, & then another ear infection & now 2 teeth have appeared so she has been a little grumpy & not sleeping well, day or night. But the 3 boys are doing great now that their dad is a lot more active again. The official Kotiapu give me 4 hrs a week help, but that´s it, but it is something. I have almost given up on housework, but am spending as much time outside as possible this summer, which helps me relax, keeps me fit & is much morefun anyway! Hubby just got the letter from Kela today saýing he will receive 200eur extra a month from July, which is good news. so life goes on :)
Allie the Britmum, "äiti" to 3 boys, 10,9 and 7, & little princess, 4.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:13 am

Hi there!

Burning the midnight oil because I am working tomorrow and have prep to do. Last lesson before the summer and then some testing on Saturday.

Was in the UK a week ago. Didn't go to Reading though, we were staying in Lyme Regis, but my sister came down from Woodley. Swine Flu at her next-door-neighbour's son's school.

One of my kids had a severe milk protein allergy (for 15 years) so I have quite a few books on the subject. Some are in French but I have a recipe book in Finnish which I am more than willing to send to you and I probably have a couple in English too. They are good for ideas.... If you are interested then PM me your address and I'll post them to you.

I can probably help you identify some dairy-free products but not sure if SIWA stocks them. You need to be careful with things like sausages because they often contain milk proteins (whey powder etc) and it's not always obvious on the labels. Most industrial sorbets also contain milk (usually disguised as something else) but one or two are dairy free (usually the more expensive ones :( ). You should find soja products in SIWA, there is a good range of yoghurts, milk, cream etc now, which I continue to use even though S is no longer allergic to dairy. Go Green do soja cream which you can use in cooking (eg for making quiche, pasta carbonara etc) and then all the Alpro (?) products are OK and Sojasun. I have used soja milk to make pancakes no problem. For baking, I used the silver pack of Suunantai margarine which is dairy free. I have seen dairy-free cheese slices down here (Citymarket) but I would be really surprised if you can get them in SIWA.

We survived for 15 years completely milk free and honestly it was much much easier here than in France, UK or Hungary. My son looked much healthier when he was on the dairy-free diet. Since he started eating milk, cheese etc he has put on weight and his skin is terrible.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:37 pm

Thank you for your support, sorry I haven´t been on here much, too tired! My husband seems very content right now with his peritoneal dialysis, 4 times in 24 hrs, at home, it takes about 40 mins each time, & he usually sits down & reads a book while he does it, after breakfast, lunch, dinner & just before midnight, & it doesn´t seem to be disrupting our life too much this summer. He went back to TAYS and they checked everything & said that all was well. His BP continues to improve too. Our friends agree he looks a lot better than a few months ago! His weight has stabilised & we are getting used to certain foods that he uses a lot more in his cooking (more garlic, spices & herbs instead of salt for instance). he loves cooking, which is a relief for me, as I have always hated it anyway :lol: . Our fridge is always stocked witrh kaurakerma, kauramaito, blue cheese (he can have this but not cheddar or edam apparently) & EPO (the drug banned for pro atheletes, but my hubby requires it!)
We now make our own bread, pastries etc, life goes on!..... KELA finally sent some money & will continue to do so monthly, for a while yet. he hopes to have a dialysis machine at home during August, so he can start to use it at night time only, and prepare to return to work in early September. he is a uni lecturer & usually has a light teaching timetable anyway, but we shall see how it all goes. It is great to see him playing footie & cycling again, with us, as a familyonce more. This turn of events has made me realise that I need to take my own health more seriously & so I have really cut back on the daily afternoon routine of coffee & pulla :D , but I am still nursing the little one about 8 times in 24 hrs, so i can eat quite a lot still & have now lost 16kg since baby´s birth last November - only another 5 or so kgs to go, till I hopefully get back to my pre-children weight (before having a family I was far more sporty though!). I have also increased my exercise, especially as I need to have a break from the kids more often than I used to do (rarely, it has to be said), so hubby can really enjoy looking after 4 busy kids while I go out for a bike ride. Yeh!
Thanks again everyone for your help & support. Enjoy the summer....

EP

Post by EP » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:15 pm

afternoon routine of coffee & pulla

Check the calories, pulla is not fattening :) You don´t have to give that up. Just keep it to one.

Anyway, I am glad it looks better now.

EP

Post by EP » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:18 pm

And I might add that you have done an EXCELLENT job with your weight, and so fast. But don´t diet when you are breastfeeding.

Anyway, loosing that "baby weight" is not always easy. It took me two years to loose the massive 28 kilos that I had gained.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:23 pm

I am not actually dieting, but just having less junk :D and more exercise. We used to have micro meals occasionally but now, because of hubby, never! Not even a pub pizza :lol: I still can down a packet of digestives with a pot of tea while watching some sport on TV, footie, athletics, anything! And now the berries are coming along nicely in the garden & surrounding forest, mmmmmm, Oh I forgot to mention the fact that the regular icecream van stops right outside our house every couple of weeks :D

onkko

Post by onkko » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:33 pm

EP wrote:
afternoon routine of coffee & pulla

Check the calories, pulla is not fattening :) You don´t have to give that up. Just keep it to one.

Anyway, I am glad it looks better now.
Depends what your pulla means. My pulla is

Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

EP

Post by EP » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:43 pm

Onkko, that is korvapuusti, not pulla. Same dough but more fat.
We used to have micro meals occasionally but now, because of hubby, never!
Well, that will put your weight down automatically. Few years back I gained ten kilos (after loosing that 28), and when I started to make everything from scratch, I lost it in a year. No preservatives that also preserve fat.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:49 pm

EP wrote:Onkko, that is korvapuusti, not pulla. Same dough but more fat.
Well i know thats korvapuusti but thats pulla also to me, only pulla i know if you ask for me :)
There is also some southern clowns who clain their thing is pulla but its nisu. :twisted:
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:04 am

We just got THE phone call tonight! There is a waiting kidney, & my husband is to have an op in Helsinki in about 10 hours from now! I have been told he will be there for at least 3 wks, then hopefully, back to Tampere hospital for another 3, so we can visit him there.
It was only just over a year ago when he started dialysis, & have just read everyone´s posts on this discussion, it brings tears to my eyes again. Life has changed for the better, I certainly get much less stressed about little things. Let´s hope it goes well. (He has been on peritoneal dialysis nightly, at home, for the past few months, & even though he sleeps through the whole process, the machine keeps me awake most of the night every night!)
Allie

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 am

oompah18 wrote:We just got THE phone call tonight! There is a waiting kidney, & my husband is to have an op in Helsinki in about 10 hours from now! I have been told he will be there for at least 3 wks, then hopefully, back to Tampere hospital for another 3, so we can visit him there.
It was only just over a year ago when he started dialysis, & have just read everyone´s posts on this discussion, it brings tears to my eyes again. Life has changed for the better, I certainly get much less stressed about little things. Let´s hope it goes well. (He has been on peritoneal dialysis nightly, at home, for the past few months, & even though he sleeps through the whole process, the machine keeps me awake most of the night every night!)
Allie
Congrats! Lets hope all goes well.

Btw, the new organ donor law has been in effect for less than month. Do you know if it helped your case?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

oompah18

Post by oompah18 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:29 pm

I am sorry but I haven´t even heard about the new law, can you enlighten me please? (My husband tells me nothing!)Anyway, I believe he had the op this afternoon, now just waiting to receive a message ......................

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:33 pm

oompah18 wrote:I am sorry but I haven´t even heard about the new law, can you enlighten me please? (My husband tells me nothing!)Anyway, I believe he had the op this afternoon, now just waiting to receive a message ......................
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47202
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.