Music in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Haaveilla

Re: Music in Finland

Post by Haaveilla » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:13 am

Is anyone going to the Pori Jazz festival this week? I'll be attending some gigs on Friday and Saturday, I don't know the lineups, though it should be a blast whatsoever!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interpaul

Post by interpaul » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:12 pm

I'm new to the music scene here. Seems to be a wide love of heavy metal, which is fine but ain't my thing. Other than Husky Rescue, I haven't come across many other Finnish bands that have interested me. I listen to a lot of styles, but am particularly interested in psychedelia such as the Mars Volta and Brian Jonestown Massacre. If anyone knows any Finnish bands who have a similar style, i'd love to check them out!

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:06 pm

Can't really help...but just go to their myspace (if you haven't alread) and start hammering through their friends & check their flyers and see who they play with.

sure there's a guy on this forum that can help, even though he's a total bully ( :wink: ).
Black Flag kills ants on contact

sammy

Post by sammy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 am

Oi - did someone call?

Psychedelia / prog... erm, you could try the above - Kingston Wall. Another one worth investigating might be CMX... they've covered a somewhat wide spectrum of styles ranging from hc'ish punk of the first albums to (gasp) prog-smelling concept albums like Dinosaurus Stereophonicus and Talvikuningas. Try the 3-cd collections, "Cloaca Maxima I" would be a good choice, slightly more raw & varied than the part II. They sing in Finnish so that may not be to your taste... one of their more peaceful tracks here...

(the brass arrangement has been nicked directly from David Sylvian, btw)

Neither of these bands is actually similar to Mars Volta et al, but what would be the point in that, huh? :wink:

interpaul

Post by interpaul » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm liking Kingston Wall a lot, so I have their first 2 recordings by my side, pity they were before my time. I'll be in the suomirock section of the library a lot more, so thanks for the recommendations!

Salehinsti

Post by Salehinsti » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:26 am

Music is the main reason I want to move to Finland! I am from Liverpool, UK and the first bands I really got into were Children Of Bodom and Sonata Arctica!

I also like the bands: Kalmah, Nighwish and Norther ain't too bad! Impaled Nazarene are amazing too!

I play guitar in a band and it is unreal how many good guitar players Finland churns out! I can't wait to get over there and shred with them haha!

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:57 am

I just recently made a playlist of contemporary Finnish pop/rock hits on Spotify. It was originally made for a friend but fits this thread too, so I’m just posting the link in hopes someone might find it useful. At the moment, it contains some 260 songs... worth of 17.4 hours of listening.

(OK, it contains more genres than just pop/rock but Finnish metal isn’t represented too well. Someone might want to create a separate showcase playlist on Spotify on that and post a link to it here as well.)
znark

arvid

Post by arvid » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:10 pm

@interpaul: If you're into psychedelica, you can check Finnish bands like: Kemialliset Ystävät, Uton, Circle, Hervoset, Shogun Kunitoki, Kuupuu, Lau Nau, Avarus, Es, Kiila a.o.

Here's a link to an article on Pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/ ... -the-moon/

magenta22

Post by magenta22 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:05 pm

I really like the FInnish music scene too.

Far too many bands to mention that I like, but I also find that listening to the ones that sing in Finnish does help with studying :-)

HIM are touring here in March but I am wondering why there are no London shows.

Veli Vemmelsääri

Post by Veli Vemmelsääri » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 am

I like Finnish metal

My favorite bands are:

Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Korpiklaani
Teräsbetoni
among others...

Finland does really have a great metal scene

Smedju