Finland launches project to speed up UVI's procedures.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sacred_cycles

Post by sacred_cycles » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:11 pm

Check out the news...hopefully at last they're trying to speed up the processing time for residence permit application....

Finland launches project to speed up Directorate of Immigration procedures

12.2.2004 at 15:06

Finland has launched a project to examine how to speed up application processes at the country's Directorate of Immigration, the ministry of interior affairs said Thursday.

The project, launched by Minister of Interior Affairs Kari Rajamäki (soc dem) and aimed to last until the end of 2004, will investigate "what prevents or hinders processing and decision making especially in asylym and citizenship matters", the ministry said in a statement to the Finnish News Agency (STT).

I added the idea is to erase these obstacles and to create new procedures that will help the directorate of immigration to reach the result targets the ministry has set for it.

"The ministry of interior affairs has set a goal for the directorate e.g. to markedly cut down the processing periods for asylym and citizenship applications."

/STT/

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

eashton

Post by eashton » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:51 pm

That's good news. I wonder if that means if I'll get my permit renewal before it expires in November. I've been waiting close to six months now and am considering filling out the next application to submit when I eventually get it.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:13 pm

Kari Rajamäki as a minister of internal affairs has made the last months quite good statements on this one.
Let's hope he gets the time to change the procedures at the UVI.

sy

Post by sy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:41 pm

About the applications for the citizenship. Actually several years ago, UVI tried the so-called "selvät myönteiset -prosessi" (clear positive process), that when an application arrives at UVI, if the case is very clear, i.e., all the conditions are met, then citizenship is granted immediately. If there are some unclarified issues, the application is then locked in the capboard for years. But I think in reality, this process may be used only for those atheletes, football players, or whoever has an Finnish organization backing for him. Although I do have heard of that an (ordinary) lady applicant has got her citizenship just in several months.

Requirements that you must meet for the citizenship are quite easy to demonstrate, for example, that you have lived in Finland for 6 years, income, language skills, blah blah... However some requirements that you shouldn't have is then difficult. How can I myself demonstrate that my naturalisation will not jeopardise the security of the State or public order. UVI's attitude is like trying to catch a black cat in a dark room, as said by an immigration issue veteran. That's why it takes so long time to solve one application.

One way they (UVI) could improve is to give applicants a chance of hearing when UVI receives the applications. If during the hearing the lawyer of an applicant (or the applicant him/herself) can demonstrate to a UVI officer that the applicant has met all the requirements in a non-disputable way, and the UVI officier can't find any evidence that the applicant is a member of foreign mafia, let's say, in one month, then the citizenship should be granted immediately. This way, the whole procedure is legal, and much faster. Checking the requirements is done nowadays by searching from various databases; that shouldn't take long time at all.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:01 pm

sy wrote:
How can I myself demonstrate that my naturalisation will not jeopardise the security of the State or public order. UVI's attitude is like trying to catch a black cat in a dark room, as said by an immigration issue veteran. That's why it takes so long time to solve one application....

This searching for a black cat in a dark room is interesting. I have wondered for years what they were looking for.
And...this searching is very expensive for all. Not everybody can stand the disappointment of not finding anything.

This is like a cunning discussion from the blackadder, where the cunning servent always has a good idea:

- we haven't found anything on this application.
- not a speeding ticket?
- not even a speeding ticket.
- we can't deny it anymore.
- What? That's not possible. Continue searching until you find something.
- We could set up something, sir, if you know what I mean.
- Whatever.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:12 pm

Apparently 26 000 refugees are going to be thrown out of the Netherlands in the coming years. How do they speed up these procedures?

Hollannin parlamentti hyväksyi turvapaikkalain
17.02.2004, klo 18.55
Hollannin parlamentti on hyväksynyt keskusta-oikeistolaisen hallituksen lakiesityksen, joka johtaa tuhansien turvapaikanhakijoiden karkottamiseen.

Noin 26 000 turvapaikanhakijaa joutuu poistumaan maasta kolmen vuoden kuluessa. Osa karkotettavista on asunut Hollannissa jo vuosia.
Suunnitelman mukaan karkotuksen toimeenpanoa odottavat turvapaikanhakijat koottaisiin erityisiin pakolaiskeskuksiin.

Hollantiin saisi jäädä 2 300 hakijaa, joiden tilanteen viranomaiset ovat arvioineet erityisen vakavaksi.