Finnish person driving foreign car in Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
currie

Post by currie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:46 pm

Hey guys,

I am going to move with my girlfriend back to Finland for half a year. We are planing to buy a car in Germany before as I am able to drive it there 6months without taxes. But now I have heard that a Finnish person is not allowed to drive a car which is registered abroad. How would it go in this case if she wants to drive my car as well there. Do we have to pay taxes and then its fine? Or is there no way at all for her to use my German car?

Thanks in advance!
Greetings
Jan

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Finnish person driving foreign car in Finland?

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:56 pm

If you get a Finnish ID number and get yourself marked as permanent then you are a "Finnish person" and cannot drive the German car either - its got nothing to do with being a Finnish citizen - its got to do with Finnish residency. The rules on importing vehicles is at http://www.tulli.fi => if you are only staying the 6 months or up to a year and then *leaving* the country is one thing. If you plan on staying then its another thing.
Last edited by Pursuivant on Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

currie

Post by currie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Thanks for your replies!
Yea, I have already checke the documents on tulli.fi
But I am still not sure and got even more confused by Pursuivant's infos now.

We are definitely are going to stay there only for half a year. So I thought during this time, even if I work, I do not necessarily have apply for residence there, do I? In case that not and everything is fine and I can drive the car there during this half a year, my question again; Is there any way that my Finnish girlfriend can drive my in Germany registered car?

Cheers!

currie

Post by currie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Me again. So, I have checked the residence regulations.

According to tulli it says:
With a person´s permanent place of residence, a place is meant where he resides at least 185 days per
calendar year, as estimated according to his personal, occupational and other ties.
What would be in my case not Finland but Germany.

And further
A person permanently resident outside Finland may, on certain conditions, use a motor vehicle in
Finland without having to pay car tax.
So wouldn't this take place in my case?

And another question concerning the permanent residency.
My girlfriend is studying together with me abroad, so 11 months the year not staying in Finland. Wouldn't she be in this case considered as non-permanently resident as well?

Greetings!

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:45 am

currie wrote: And another question concerning the permanent residency.
My girlfriend is studying together with me abroad, so 11 months the year not staying in Finland. Wouldn't she be in this case considered as non-permanently resident as well?
It depends. Is she registered as permanent resident elsewhere?

currie

Post by currie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:08 pm

Actually, I am not sure if she has registered here but what would be in case that yes/no?

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:22 pm

residents in Finland pay tax in Finland.
residents abroad pay tax abroad.

currie

Post by currie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:36 pm

rinso wrote:residents in Finland pay tax in Finland.
residents abroad pay tax abroad.
Ok clear.
So again. If I am as a resident of Germany drive with my in Germany registered car (for what I pay taxes there) in Finland, my Finnish girlfriend is allowed to drive this car as well in case she pays car taxes?

Greetings!

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:03 pm

Ask your girlfriend if she officially transferred her residence from Finland to Germany.
If so, she is no resident of Finland and she can drive that car, but in that case she also is not entitled to the Finnish social system (kela) But since she is a student, that is unlikely.

currie

Post by currie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks. But this still does not clearly answer my question about a way for her driving my car in Finland in case she has not transferred her residence so far. And actually she just told me that she did not. So what now?

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:26 pm

currie wrote:Thanks. But this still does not clearly answer my question about a way for her driving my car in Finland in case she has not transferred her residence so far. And actually she just told me that she did not. So what now?
Why don't you or your GF contact directly the finnish customs and ask them directly? they are very helpfull and will be able to answer also special cases like this one.
Here in Finland, I have done everything I can to blend-in with the Finns, I've changed my hair color, wore differnet clothes, got different

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 am

currie wrote:Thanks. But this still does not clearly answer my question about a way for her driving my car in Finland in case she has not transferred her residence so far. And actually she just told me that she did not. So what now?
As guesstimate I can say that if she is registered to be resident in Finland, she is likely to be considered resident Finn. Resident Finns may NOT drive foreign car in Finland as it is right reserved only to residents of other nations.

But again, ask officials. But be prepared for a chance that their interpretation can be varied from day to day. If you wish to play it safe, your GF better not drive your car in Finland. If not. Well, you can only be punished if you are caught.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:30 am

We really have to spell it out for you, isn't it?
NO, SHE MAY NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR IN FINLAND.
And if she does, the car can be confiscated.