facts on Oulu.....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kemars

Post by Kemars » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:16 pm

main city website to gather info from: http://oulu.ouka.fi/english/index.html - At least it's a start anyway.

I don't live there, but have visited there a few times because of work. I didn't think the people were "closed". It is very dark and cold during the winter months, but pretty nice during the summer months.

thats my two cents worth..happy info hunting.

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: facts on Oulu.....

Post by Hank W. » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:37 pm

sam_therock wrote:..... my cousin (who lives in tampere) said I should drop the idea of coming to Oulu becasue the climate is tooo cold. .
Your cousin lives inland, Oulu is on the coast. Lucky times it is warmer in Oulu than in Tampere. Ok, then it can get cold too. You need not go so far from home to freeze, just go to the Himalayas... though the studying there I guess is a bit different subjects. And the people are very closed in Finland anyhow. Oulu for one has a big university so the students get around... Or is your cousin wanting you to come to Tampere so he can get somone to work in his shop :D
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:17 am

I get to Oulu quite often at least once a month..
I quite like it..the locals like to think they are "different" to other Finns..they never agree to be wrong...but they are being dragged into the 20th cntrury by the high tech world ... but they can be a bit stubborn . :wink:
In the summer it is very pleasant ...in the winter it is cool and a bit windy. :roll: .but you soon adjust to sensible clothes styles...
There are a couple of pubs which seem to attract social chat..one is Irish called St Mikes it is in the town centre near a park called letkupoisto which means Hose pipe park :roll:
For sports enthusiasts...
On the sea front there is a big hotel which a tropical theme swimming club all year round.
The local ice hockey club Karpat (the weasles) is one of the best in Finland they were the beaten finalist last year.
It is only a couple of hours drive to the ski centres at Ruka etc.

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:12 pm

Colder than in Tampere? Well, maybe when it's -10C in Tre it's -15C Oulu- it's all relative.

In the winter the whole of Finland is cold and dark... but as a previous poster mentioned...at least you'll be near some ski slopes!

Also, only someone who had really got to know Finland well could appreciate the differences in charater between residents of Tampere, Turku, Oulu, Jyväskylä, indeed all of the bigger-but-not-Helsinki towns. If you only stay a few months on Erasmus or whatever your experience is likely to be pretty similar wherever you go.

paulrenn

Post by paulrenn » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:15 am

I don't see how 70 degrees C less than you're used to could feel much different to 80 degrees C less than you're used to...!!! It's STILL COLD!!!

Paul

PeterF

Re: facts on Oulu.....

Post by PeterF » Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:58 am

sam_therock wrote:I'm going to Oulu in Aug

Sam.
August gives you plenty of time to slowly adjust to Finnish climate and Finns...In August it is pleasantly warm about 20C-24C so you can explore the area around Oulu..not many hills so a bike is a good means of transport.
I have to admit that I have not seen many Indians in Oulu even around the university campus so knowing the inquisative nature of Finns you should attract some attention, and the braver ones might even intiate a conversation...never be afraid of saying "moi" or "Hi" ..to initiate the chating yourself... groups of Finnish girls are usualy more inclined to making casual conversation with foreigners..they realy like to practice their English. Once you have Finn or tow as friends you will be OK.
Once you make friends amongst the other students you will adjust even faster.
The weather should stay pleasant until at least early October...September/October in Oulu area is very beautifull here is an example..

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~iivejo/valokuvat/ ... 99a09.html

One favorite pass time at this time of the year is going into the forest to collect mushrooms..we have many many types but I suggest you go with some Finns untill you know which ones are not poison..There is a saying in Finland.."you can eat all the mushrooms that you can find in Finnish forests but some of them only once!"
Gradualy the nights get longer and one starts to put on more clothes..but the body adjusts.
Winter come to Oulu at the end of October and last until April.
It is on the coast and it gets windy and there is no denying that when it is minus 20C and windy it is not nice..but you buy Finnish winter clothes.. Hats with ear covers, padded jackets, lined boots, and long thermal underwear is a must if you intend to go outside for more than a few minutes.
But Winter is also Fun.. if you want it to be..students have their own winter programs ..rowdy sessions in pubs or around a log fire..skiing weekends..Chistmas parties start towards the end of November..then you will learn about Glögi ..a famous Nordic winter warmer...if the Finns add too much alko it can be a bit like liquid vindaloo.. :roll:
After Christmas...comes the wait for the snow to melt..but by this time you should be fully adjusted and almost a Finn, and be able to answer questions on this board from the next batch of students wanting to know what to expect when they come to Finland. :lol:

The Wolverine

Thank you all

Post by The Wolverine » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:46 pm

Thanks to all especially to Peter. does anyone of you have any idea of the cost of the winter clothing in Oulu (or Tampere or Helsinki), just to come prepared. And also when(which is the offseason) to buy them and where? I learned that there are some flea markets but what exactly can I expect from those markets( the quality, the cost, etc.,)

~ samy ( I changed my username to Wolverine.) [/quote]
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."
"Well, that's never a good sign, is it?"

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:30 pm

Depends on what you buy and where (and how much you need). Of course, the cheapest winter clothing you find in the sales in March. Someplace like Seppälä you can find enough sweaters and a coat for pretty cheap price. Fleamarkets exist, but there you need to buy the stuff when you find it and not when you need it. There is also places like Salvation Army (damn expensive) and UFF that have old clothes.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Kemars

Temperatures in Finland

Post by Kemars » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:14 am

What it's like temperature wise, living in finland...

+15°C / 59°F: This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.
+10°C / 50°F: The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.
+5°C / 41°F: Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.
0°C / 32°F: Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.
-5°C / 23°F: People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.
-10°C / 14°F: The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves.
-20°C / -4°F: The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.
-30°C / -22°F: People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.
-40°C / -40°F: Paris start cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.
-50°C / -58°F: polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.
-60°C / -76°F: Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.
-70°C / -94°F: The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors.The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.
-183°C / -297.4°F: Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.
-273°C / -459.4°F: ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today."
-300°C / -508°F: Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.
Last edited by Kemars on Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

PeterF

Re: Thank you all

Post by PeterF » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:17 am

[quote="The Wolverine"]the cost of the winter clothing also when(which is the offseason) to buy them and where? I learned that there are some flea markets but what exactly can I expect from those markets( the quality, the cost, etc.,)

~quote]

The cost varies depending on the Label/fashion..and whether you want just wamth/dry or if you intend to use the clothes also for winter sports...

There are clothes shops/sportwear shops and flea markets (which are usualy called kirpis or kirpatori) and also the market square..in Oulu it is down on the water front an area called meritulli.
But quality is a big :?: I just remembered ..the last time I was there one of the traders was an Indian guy selling cheap clothes.
Here is a map of Oulu:

http://kartta.ouka.fi/index_us.htm

Chose area "city centre" and "theme" tourist map big"

If you are visiting your relations in Tampere they can take you to the bargin clothes shops there.. but..As Hank said you have missed the sales season it in is March/April..but sport shops in August/September are worth a visit, places like InterSport and TopSport often have pre winter sales to shift the old stock of Ski Jackets and trousers to make space for the New in Fashion Ski wear.
You need to take into account that it is not just cold and wind you need to protect from it is also Water..in Oct and November we have Wet Snow which soaks into clothes, so I do recommend that you buy the best you can afford....look for wind and water proff material like Gortex..I tend to buy Ski wear because it dries out quicker. If you buy cheap padded jackets and trousers and they get wet they takes hours to dry out start to smell of damp and fall to pieces after a couple of soakings.
You will be in a student community in North Finland and Winter sports are almost every weekend events..but the student seem to live all their time in their Ski wear it is both practical and fashionable.
BUT as you will arive in August no need to rush into the first shop and buy ..take your time and take a Finn or someone who has spent a couple of winters here to help you chose.

PeterF

Re: Tempertures in Finland

Post by PeterF » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:18 am

Kemars wrote:, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.
That I just cannot believe the rest is OK :roll:

The Wolverine

Thanks

Post by The Wolverine » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:19 am

Thank you everyone,

by the way, what is the best way to travel to tampere from helsinki, My cousin says travelling by train is a good way to see finland....as this will be my first visit. But I'm apprehnsive about this bcoz, I dont know the language dont know the city...and above all my cousin working in Nokia, says it might be difficult to recieve me in Helsinki, as he's having a very hectic work load. Anyways what do you suggest. I mean, Can I get along with english in helsinki, I read somewhere that most of the fins know a bit of english but they never speak. Can I get along with englsih, what do ya advice me?

sam.
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."
"Well, that's never a good sign, is it?"

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:36 am

Anyone can manage with English here, I dont think thats even a issue.

Train is the best, if you go on the fast one it only takes an hour and a half now. They speak English at the train station and will be very helpful :)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:20 am

As Sara says...there are information desk at the railway station where they speak English and many instructions are also in English.
Here is the Railway time table and information in English.
http://www.vr.fi/heo/eng/index.html
Public transport in Finland is punctual, clean, and safe.
You will find that many Finns do speak English especialy the younger ones.
If they are 16-25 there is a very good chance that they speak English at least enough to help you..if there is a group of three or four they will push the best English speaker forward to help.
Practice this..."Anteksi puhuuteeko englantia" (n.b. not correct spelling)..not too difficult..it means "excuse me do you speak english?"
By the way if your cousin works for Nokia..ask him if he has access to the Nokia Promotion wear shop.. staff can buy Nokia Ski clothes via this internal shop, which stocks gifts for VIP customers but also for staff,..I have a very good Ski jacket which cost me 100E via the Nokia Promo shop in th stores it is 250E.